The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Transportation in the Outdoors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Muddy dog progression( New name)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muddy dog progression( New name)
    Posted: 02 May 2021 at 18:31
Seeing how there is very little of the old Johnson left in the dog, I'll start a new post.
The track and suspension and drive cogs are a major part of the dog it is little of the snowmobile.

As we can see I reshaped the track so both ends are elevated off the ground. The front is to clime over obstacles, the back so I can lift the front some to help turn it. That the plan in my mind anyway.

I had to "Beef" up the springs on the bogies, as I added iron it squatted down to low.

I have the frame for the "Deck" where the Motor will mount and have some storage on the dog.

Still have to design the hitch point and some how attach handle bars.

Edited by d4570 - 14 August 2021 at 20:15
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 00:16
Looking good D. 

do you use a belt from the engine to the track?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 05:32
What do you estimate the weight to be?

Will it climb a ramp into the bed of a pick-up?

Will it have a reverse?

Looking very good.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 07:01
Wing
 I ordered a torque converter clutch drive like a snowmobile only smaller which is belt but then it has a sprocket from there to chain to the track.
Bear 
so far its under 200 pounds, I think, and the motor is 77 pounds.
I'm hoping it will be around 320.
 I hope it will clime a ramp it has carbide steel cleats acros the track every 3 inches or so.
I'm going to load it on to a bumper buddy on the back of the truck, so it is only like two feet off the ground.
The ramp will go on either side of the buddy so I can drive on and drive off no reverse.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 07:18
You do like that "drive on drive off" style.   Very good idea.   reminds me of the trailer for the airboat!!
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 07:35
I do.
Our snowmobile trailer is drive on drive off sideways too.
Our 4wheeler DBL trailer is side loading too.Big smile
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 09:02
Just  side-saddle type guy!Thumbs Up
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 13:05
I got the top frame welded and put back on.
I hung it to check the weight. So far 172 Pounds.
Looks like I'll be close to the 350 mark.
Motor is shipped could be here by the 6th.Big smile
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 14:05
looks good.  snow guard under motor?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 14:19
I think so and a "Mud" flap on the back
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 13:43
Motor and clutch drive came today.
Not quite ready to make the mounts but very close.

ClapClap

Edited by d4570 - 05 May 2021 at 16:11
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 16:19
Is the centrifigal cluch fom CB's sled?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 16:30
Centrifugal clutch yes but not from the Johnson.
The problem with the airboat was it did not turn fast enough to make it work. This is one made to turn at slower RPM. I could not get one for the VW motor to much HP for the smaller clutches. 
Hope it works I'm at the very top of it's rating for HP.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 15:14
It does not look like much change, but I think the Truck is finished.
It seams quite substantial, no wiggle to it.
I have shafts, sprockets, pillow bearings, and chain ordered.
I hope I got the ratios right. If it only goes 17 mph not the 20 as by bench mark, will be fine too.
Picks are front, back and both sides.
I did not want to make mounts till I see where the other stuff has to be.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 17:40
looks as strong as a tank
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 18:08
I hope it runs like a Deere.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 19:53
That's looking real good D. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 07:35
Gota be able to steer this crazy thing.
I plan to put it sideways on a bumper buddy on the truck to transport it. It can only be as long as the truck is wide. I'm making the handle to fold up over the top or come off and set on top, and the trailer or sled on top of that. here is what I have so for.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 13:06
Steering is just muscle it to turn?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 14:07
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

Steering is just muscle it to turn?

YUP! Just kick the back around.Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic