The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Scope powers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope powers
    Posted: 06 May 2019 at 11:02
Age has hit my eyes badly.  So more power seems to be my role.

Variable scopes are surely the way to go today; even though I have 2x, 4x, 10x fixed models.

I suspect we all use a much lower power for kill shots than the max power of our variable scopes.

Just some of the scopes and the setting I've used on game:

Cape buffalo******  1-4x   90 yard shot at 2x
moose*********** 3-9x  210 yards shot on 4x
deer************* 3-9x   average 125 yds  most shot on 5x
antelope*********  2-10x  300+  most shot on 10x
elk**************  2-7x    93 yards wood  shot on 3x
kudu************* 4-12x  135 yds shot on 8x
Varmints*********** over 250 yds shot on max (9, 12, 16x)

Thinking of this because  I just bought a Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x w/side focus.  nice scope.

Seems to me western plans game NEEDS more Xs.  

I could used a 2-7x in east: using the low power(2x) for 'finding' a target, high power (7x) for identifying target, and still dial down for shot (4x).  

Similiarly, in the West a 4-16x should be great: (4x) for finding, (16x) for ID and (8x) for shot.

What type of hunting do you do and what power scopes are best for that mission?
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 13:13
I've always hunted with scope on low power and if longer shot, presents itself, crank it up. If the game's close, you want ability for the quick shot, for longer shots, you often have time or should have, to make the shot. I will take longer shot, but I won't rush longer shot, on game (unless it's already hit).

Most of my scopes, have "ranging" reticles and the hold over marks, are normally valid only at highest power, so beyond point blank range, where you need the hold over, I crank it up. I seldom shoot, using the middle power range, either on low or max.

My big game hunting scopes are 3x9 and varmint/target some where in 4x16 to 6x24 range, pure target scopes 20x to 36x fixed work.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 14:20
I shoot on 6 power .
I have 4x12's , I use the higher powers for "LOOKING"
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 23:28
On big game,I usually keep mine around 6X. I also usually get buck fever too much to change it. 

For prairie dogs I usually have it at around 12-14X

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic