The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Horse Ear Plugs ? (I’ve seen it all now!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spot shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horse Ear Plugs ? (I’ve seen it all now!
    Posted: 30 December 2004 at 13:30

I was wondering around the local horse tac shop and I saw a box of these at the end of a row "HORSE EAR PLUGS".

hmm.... My wife doesn't ride so I don't need 'em for that.. 

What the who now are these used fer?

Spot

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2004 at 14:43
Thats whats missing from this picture......

Widux View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2004 at 00:52
Great pic Jeff- too bad it may one day be true.
waksupi View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Keeper of the Old Traditions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waksupi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2004 at 04:39

The ear plugs are necessary for horses.

They don't have any fingers to stick in thier ears.

Remember, you can always shoot off of any horse.

Once.

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?
SteelyEyes View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelyEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2004 at 11:10
I shoot off of mine but not with my big rifle. I'll pop a grouse with a .22 or something and he's fine with it. I shot the magnum in front of him at a deer once. He ran my wife over in his haste to escape the end of the world. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go any better if I was on his back.
drinksgin View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinksgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2005 at 15:25
Even ear plugs will not help if you do what my cousin did, he took a quick shot at a cottontail and removed about 2" of horse's ear.
Horse then removed my cousin from his back.
Can't imagine why!
Don
Don
Widux View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 12:08
Yawn!
Vern Humphrey View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vern Humphrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 08:57

Ear plugs are used in Cowboy Mounted Action shooting, where competitors often shoot right over the horse's ears.  (They shoot at baloons at a gallop, using blanks.)

In the old days, cavalrymen "broke" their horses to gunfire by shooting over their ears and deafening them.

2Bits View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Bits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 04:36
I don't shoot off my horses and darn sure not of my mules! Not unless you want to join the airborn without a parachute by golly. To do so is a mighty poor practice and very inconsiderate of the animal your aboard, not to mention you will blow out their hearing on the first shot no doubt.  

Edited by 2Bits
Thank A Vet For Your Freedom!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic