The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SouthPaws > The Left-Handed Sportsman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Daly LHB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daly LHB
    Posted: 02 December 2004 at 14:56

Fella's;

I waltzed into a good sporting goods emporium near our store the other day & asked the guy behind the counter about the Charles Daly mini-Mauser left hand bolt in .223 Remington.  He said that they didn't have any in stock (no surprise), but he'd look at their supplier. 

He found that the supplier didn't show it in the catalogue, but it was an old edition & due to be replaced soon.  So he checked the on-line catalogue from the wholesaler.  They had it catalogued there, but were showing none in stock. 

At that point he mentioned that the retail price would be $280.00, (Yo!!  Surprise!!).  So I asked him to take my order, I wanted to put some money down on it.  "Uh-oh, no can do", he says.  "Store doesn't want us to order what the wholesaler doesn't show in stock", yadda-yadda-yadda.  I'm figuring that he mis-quoted me the wholesale price.

I return the next day & find the department manager, whom I've bought from before, & ask him find me the gun.  He does, no surprise, and tells me that there are none in stock.  Then, he quotes me $279.99!  "Sold", I say, "take my order".  "Glad to", he says.

He writes all the pertinant info on his own business card, hands me off to another counter guy & leaves.  We then go to the front to do the money thing, & the counter guy hands me off to the salesgirl on the register.  She says, "but there's no shipping charges on this"!  I hand her the business card, she reads, & zippa-da-lip.  This is so cool!

I now have in my hot little hand, in writing, this deal for a Charles Daly field grade, mini-Mauser, left hand bolt, wood/blue, in .223 Remington, at $279.99 period.  I've been told to expect a 6 to 10 week wait.  Gophers won't come up till about March sometime.

Life is good.

900F

Edited by CB900F
Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 15:05

CB, is it blue or stainless? That sounds like a real deal, and the mini actions are really sweet to the eye. I am thinking of buying an actionin the white for a special project that I dreamed up. Today, I made a base for a Ruger 77 stainless in .300 Win Mag. I explained to the guy that Ruger made rings to fit on the reciever, but, he wanted a base made for it. I made the base alright, and drilled the reciever for it. Shit but that reciever was harder than woodpecker lips. I had one hell of a time tapping it. It's on, and he smiled as he reached for his wallet and paid cash. Gotta love a guy like that.....................Kingpin

There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 15:48

Kingpin;

Wood/blue.  Even though Daly is the marketer, it's a Zastava Yugo by any name.  How bad could it be?

My only concern is the barrel.  The literature says that it's hammer-forged.  While I know that some very fine barrels are made that way, I'm concerned that the stresses imposed by that method of manufacture would cause the barrel to change POI during a long day of varmint shooting.

On the other hand, I could simply rebarrel it with a Lilja & have done with it if the original tube can't do the job.  Gee, then I'd have to restock it just to keep up with the barrel.  Never ends, does it?

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
tj3006 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

AKA King Leui VX-III

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tj3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2004 at 02:38

CB

that price makesme wonder what hey want for a barreld action ! or just an action !,  The only daly maser I have seen so far was matt with synthetic stock, not atheticly pleasing but seemed funtionaly fine,  please keep me posted ! a source for mauser actions in different configurations is interesting indeed ! and if youcan buy the whoe riflefor the priceof an action,well that is even more interesting !   ...tj3006

Freedom 1st tj3006
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2004 at 03:29
did that apply to the RHB regular mausers too? or just the LHB minis?
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
HondoJohn6508 View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HondoJohn6508 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2004 at 08:27

CB900F,

Neighbor, you done got you the best deal of 2004--period!

When I saw the price you quoted I went and checked the latest catalog from my supplier and your price is LESS than the dealer price of JUST THE BARRELED ACTION!!!!

A very MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YA from your local emporium!

Ol' John

Life Member - NRA - TSRA
Custom Riflesmith-Bolts & Levers only
Mark Twain was right -- "There ain't no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Castell, Texas
mt40x View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mt40x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2004 at 14:29
CB the manager make up their on rules at the store Thy do thing the thy won't let thier works do
One Shot One Kill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic