The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SouthPaws > The Left-Handed Sportsman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Tikka .338 LHB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka .338 LHB
    Posted: 26 March 2004 at 14:38

Fella's;

I went to one of the local sports emporiums at lunch today because they were announcing super deals.  So I entered & asked for a .338 Winchester magnum in LHB.  There was a distributor's rep there & he got on the computer & found that his company had one.  But to get the store to order it, super deals couldn't be done, sorry.

It's a Tikka Whitetail Hunter .338 LHB stainless/wood.  However, I was also told that it's that last one this distributor has.  And my price is only $575.00.  So I got on GunsAmerica this afternoon & found that most Tikka's seem to be going for $475  to 525.00.

Methinks I'm smelling the distinct odor of rodent.   What are Tikka's going for in your neck of the woods?  Is the Whitetail supposed to be that much higher than the T-3?  Or does Tikka charge that much of a premium for LHB & stainless?

Or am I once again being obstinante (read stupid) & not jumping on this thing as fast as I can?

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NH_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 14:49

JUMP ON IT!!!!!!!

NH_Hunter

Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 16:17
CB, last year I ordered a Tikka for a guy and it was the deluxe model in .308. It cost me $575. If you have a lefty, like you want, jump on it with both feet. I would. A lot of prices that you see advertized are "dealer only" prices, and the store or FFL holder are the ones that you have to depend on for a deal. At the very least, they have to charge sales tax and transfer fees on top of that. On the bright side, just think how good you'll look in the woods with it...........Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
tj3006 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

AKA King Leui VX-III

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tj3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 16:19

The last white tail hunter i saw out here in Portlan OR was a 7 mag and wasgoing for 400.00 i was tempted. he t3s don't really do much for me!

...tj3006

Freedom 1st tj3006
dakotasin View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
a TRUE brother-in-arms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 16:35

i'm w/ tj on this one... i have always been kinda lukewarm about tikkas. recently saw this thread: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=269635&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=1&fpart=1#Post269863 and it did nothing to change my opinion.

no help on what the rifle might be worth... don't see tikkas around much. for $575 though, i'd hold out for a win, i think...

Hunting is not a matter of life or death; it is much more important than that.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 18:09

Hey CB

This is just my opinion,Whitetail hunters are getting harder and harder to come by and a lefty in stainless/lam . and the caliber you want,to boot thats a real hard one. I don't get into the T-3's very much except the wood models but even then I like the Whitetails better.I'd jump on it with both feet. I'll bet that gun sold wholesale for about $500 to $535 before the T-3's came out,then add mark up and shipping.I'd grab it if I wanted it.

Hey Dakota I wouldn't go by that,I have a history with my Tikkas, with 3 wood stocks to date and 3 syn. stocks ain't none with a crack,never a problem with the rifles or the home company and they all shoot great,ain't that what it's all about?

Edited by Tikkabuck
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Orion View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 18:25

I didn't know they made left hand models. I'd sure go ahead on it though. I have two old 695's and am looking at a T-3. Much better rifle than the throw away Remington 710. By a LARGE margin!

I read the thread at 24hr Campfire. I've not experienced any of the problems the guys there have experienced except for one. I have found that it is a good idea to purchase the Tikka rings. I have Conetrol bases and rings on one of the 695's and it IS a very tight fit on the dovetail. I tried the Talleys and a couple of others and my take is the reverse of the other fellows. I really think the other manufacturers are not measuring correctly when it comes to their bases. Obviously the Tikka rings work just fine, but the aftermarket folks need to get it together.

"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience, and his general common sense." -- Jack O'Conner
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 19:13

Hey Orion

I switched mine over,4 wear Weaver base's and Burris Z-rings and the other 2 wear Millett turn in rings and base's. They are in my opinion alot better than the ones that go on the rail.

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 22:35

Fella's;

What's the story on the rings?  Non-standard I presume, but how?  More info please.

900F

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2004 at 09:08

Hey CB

The Sako/Tikkas rings are one peice they clamp on the rail much like the Weavers do on their bases but thinner and are about $90,Millet makes the American Tikka rings which are close and run about $45. I don't care for either,I like the Weaver Grand Slam base's with Burris Z rings or the better Millett base's with turn in rings much like the Lupy's and the Burris. The Tikka receiver has the rail and is also drilled and tapped so you can go either way,me I just like a good solid mount. If you go for the rifle I have all the part #'s for ya.

Good Luck Mike

Milletts

Weaver/Burris

Orion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2004 at 09:20
Look great Tikka! I use the Leupolds or the Sako rings on my Sako's. I guess back when I first obtained my Tikkas, 9 years ago, there weren't really any rings available except the Tikka rings. At least that I knew of! A call to Conetrol solved it, ouch. but the bases fit waaaayy tight. I'll have to remember the Millet and Weaver items for the next time.
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience, and his general common sense." -- Jack O'Conner
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2004 at 11:47

Fella's;

I've done some sleuthing.  It seems Ozark Guns in Gastonia NC has the Tikka Whitetail Hunters.  The particular one I was quoted was JRTP134.  It's the 695 magnum action in wood/blue.  And I was quoted $1.00 over list according to Ozark.  Now I've got to find my friendly local FFL holder & find out what it'll actually cost to get one.

I don't think I'm going to be buying from the emporium that A:  Can't get the particulars correct on finish & stock, and B:  Wants to charge over list price.

900F

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2004 at 14:52

Hey CB Do they have a web sight,I'd like to find a Deluxe in 22-250 before they are all gone for good.

Orion I had the same problem and after some checking around I found out that the Knght MK-85 takes the same base's and thats the # in the most the books.

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2004 at 15:17

Tikka;

Yeah, they got a website.  Just for kicks though, go to google & just put in:  JRTE114    Putting in the stock number directly took me to the gun when I tried it when I was looking for the .338.

If it doesn't work & in any case:  www.ozarkguns.com & look around.

JRTE114 is a .22-250 syn stock/blue.  JRTP114 is a .22-250 wood/blue.  No deluxes left in RHB.  Wanna try it my way?

900F

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2004 at 13:11

Hey That works pretty well,I also tried a K&N filter I was looking for and it came up.WOW

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic