The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Gone Fishin'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

spinner baits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spinner baits
    Posted: 17 March 2023 at 10:17
When I'm not reloading, shooting or hunting, I fish. Trout tarpon, muskies, bass, crappies, etc.

Somewhat like reloading catching a fish on a fly that you tied is a kick.

Right now, I'm making some very large lures for muskie fishing. these are 8-10 inches long as a single shaft double spinner bait. told my wife, I was saving money, but as you can guess, these are costing me $10 each just for the components (I made jigs and fixtures).

But, I could use some help, and you guys are pretty smart.

The lure is a shaft with a hook on one end and a set of double Colorado spinners on the other. In the middle is a body with beads, weights, and some 10" Flashabou skirt.

Question I have is:

should I make the weight, center of gravity, in the front, middle, or rear?????????

Sorry if it is a way out area, not as much fun as how to drill holes in old brass and make Berdan case into boxer primer! Dancing

But my question is more interesting that "Which is better 30-06 or 270?"
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 13:13
Dang, Have no idea.
Wife and I went on a charter on Lake Kocanusa for Large rainbow and Bull trout.12 to 20 pounds.
We used "salmon flies" trolled with 5 pound downriggers. but they were a foot long.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 13:54
got two downriggers on the boat.

for casting to big muskie.  about 8- inches long.

My thinking was to add the weight to the front and keep the hooks high and not get to much weeds.  But weight in the front would keep the spinners in the water and 'churn' more attractive to mushies...  just don't know.

“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 15:49
Bear,
  The musky baits look good.   Not a bad price either at $40/ dozen.
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 18:12
........Going down the rabbit hole again with this but I have seen it work so often there has to be something to it. Locals going for big fish have switched to ......dildos.........yup......I went there. Can be had in many colors and shapes, sizes, what not. They wiggle and wobble in the water as they are flexible. Folks claim the only trick is to float them first to find a true top side and then build just like any other lure from there. Seems a hot coat hanger will melt a hole through the length quite easily to feed leaders. Speculation on the discovery of said practice........well.......Not gonna even guess but it seems like a sound principle and the current PA records for striper and musky were caught on those rigs. I know Ed and Sparky who have the 3 of the top four stripers to their credit. Seen the lures with the teeth marks and tears in them as well. Bit pricey, sure, but they buy in bulk.

Post man may give you looks and you may have to hide your tackle around women and children. But hey! A five foot musky is a great catch regardless of how it's caught right!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2023 at 06:32
Can't even follow that down the rabbit hole.

look at a muskie lure called the Red October.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2023 at 20:58
I've never fished for Muskies but I would think they would go after the same lures that Northern Pike go after?

I've caught a lot of Pike on plain ol' spoons. I don't remember what size but they are about 3-4 inches long. Len Thompson's are my favorite. I've done good with yellow and red 5 of diamonds but I think the best one I've used is probably the most common red and white. 

I have one that's painted like the Canadian flag that has most of the paint chewed off of it. It has caught a lot of Pike.
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 07:33
Are these treble hook lures?

Mule
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 19:23
wingmaster, those lures you mentioned look like these below
Daredevils they are called.Most common in my youth were Red&White color.

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OP.ZJ1TcGkKFvSyKw474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=128&h=128&qlt=100&dpr=1.7&bw=6&bc=FFFFFF&c=17

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 27 March 2023 at 19:28
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 21:54
That's it IBD. 

They work great for Northern Pike. The  red and white was probably the one I had the best luck with. 
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic