The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

how to dress??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to dress??
    Posted: 18 October 2022 at 10:33
Always a problem due to changes in weather.

4 day bear/deer hunt....warmest day high 69+ oF.  But one morning the temp will be 32 oF.

Sure layering helps, but that means changes in woods and carrying extra clothes bundles. 

I go into woods at 6am  and leave at 7:30pm; so I get both extremes (add possible rain).
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2022 at 14:05
I find If I can stop the wind and moisture I can weir less.
BUT to Sit all day from cold to warm to cold no matter what you have on you will get cold.
I try to dress on the light side and well ventilated for the walk in. Then a parka and even a wool blanket. for sitting, I still get cold and have to run around to get warm.
To much to pack so I seldom sit for more then an hour or two.

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2022 at 14:48
I prefer to sit all day.  I have choisen stand sites very well, with deer/bear trails I know.

So yep...it gets cold!
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2022 at 16:18
I hate getting cold. I like the parka in a backpack walking and wearing the parka when sitting. 
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2022 at 07:55
well the low on these 4 days was36 and a high of 78 and bright sun.

Never had a problem with the low end, but 78 is just sweat temp for me.

I have heavy wool pants and cotton long underwear, that keeps lower body wanl with out sweatin even in 70 degrees.  But upper body need more warmth in 32 of sitting.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2022 at 09:21
OK Bear on your recommendation!
I have a pair of Alpaca artic socks coming as a Christmas present from the "WIFE".
https://alpacasofmontana.com/
There only 48% 'packa wool but there affordable.
They should be a good match with my 80% silk top and bottom longies.Big smile
I'm holding you accountable if my feet get cold in -37*, just saying!!!

Edited by d4570 - 30 October 2022 at 09:21
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2022 at 09:36
Ok hope you get Extra heavy boot sock.   

They are only 45 %   alpaca, aI only warrant 100%alpaca!  LOL

They  have spandex so they should keep their shape, everything but Alpaca is syn.  So they should not shrink much.  I always get on size larger.

Mine are 100% and I wash them by hand with Woollite, and let them air dry.

Sounds like you have a good Santa.   and lives in Bozeman!
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 21:20
bear....maybe dress lite on top for walk & sit time & carry a lightweight down vest to put on when temps are low.Smile
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2022 at 07:44
Well,  for next weeks bear hunt, weather will be wet and cold.

Plan is to set up covered portable blind, with small MYBUDDY.  Some snow possible, so white camo Jet Sled is in truck now.

Alpacas will be on my feet.

I have a thin down coat, 10x called it a 'down sweater', sort of like a down vest with sleeves.  down will be under heavy coat, which is removed in blind.

got to buy more sardines today.  Might take some potatoe bacon soup to heat on my Sterno stove.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2022 at 11:58
The potato bacon soup sounds like a good way to stay warm on the inside.
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2022 at 13:23
Sort of got a love affair with my little Sterno stove.   warm soup is great AND the stove and a can of Stern weights much less than a thermos.

Sterno Portable Folding Stove

Sterno Portable Folding Stove-Silver

Edited by BEAR - 12 November 2022 at 13:32
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic