The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Transportation in the Outdoors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Muddy dog progression( New name)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2021 at 09:58
For bear hunting I suggest a few sardines in the mufler as you ride in!!!!

Did you use it to drag out annie's buck??
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2021 at 12:52
NO, just drove the truck to it.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 13:30

Ready for some snow.
The skis come off and on fast, I can use them as needed.
It pulls it down my dry alley like nothing and even better across the high schools practice field ( grass).
A side note.
I'm street legal and licensed, But I'm having a tough time finding Liability Insurance.
Any licensed vehicle on a public road in MT needs Liability Inc. Humm...
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 16:23
Try  Geico, they do everything
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2022 at 18:02
I felt I needed some kind of cover over the motor and drive so this is what I came up with,
I still have to cut out for the lights and add snaps to hold it on when I driving it

PS:
I'll have a 94 corvette to be getting rid of shortly.
Runs great, body is pristine, the leather seats are hashed. 120,000 miles on it. It has been sitting out side unplugged for months and it fired right up today at -25*.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 15:38
I felt I had some snow issues that time out.
 I made a cover. It snaps on and off as needed.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 10:32
More work.
I think I want to change to a trailer hitch and ball to hook up the trailer or sled, just easer.
We have a pull trailer for the 4wheelers that I want to pull also, so a ball on the drive trailer.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 14:58
Good idea D

Does the Muddy Dog have enough power to move trailers around your yard? Like boat 4 wheeler trailers etc?
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 15:54
Power to move no problem.
To carry the weight maybe.
Traction ???
It is a 420cc motor like an old 4wheeler.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2022 at 17:17
I can see a lot of uses for it. Besides cruising the back alley with your granddaughter.
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2022 at 08:58
Cry
OK
The last outing.
We did a 13 mile run with a 4wheeler and my muddy dog. Soft loose snow 6 to 8 inches, Ice under it.
Not optimum conditions for the type of track I have.
But with the sled rather then the trailer with skis it went very well. I could get up to the target speed of 18 mph. BUT it will never be a hill climer, and man you have to be driving if you hit a rock or stump under the snow...
The problem, It took 3 belts to do the trip.
They brake.
There very good belts and are made with Kevlar.
I suspect the 30 series comet clutch with a 5/8" belt is to small. The rating is 8 to 13 hp my motor is a 420cc 13 hp motor.
I have been looking and I think I need a 500 series that is 18 hp rated and .95" belt more like an ATV set up. I have made serval inquires and have yet to hear back.Cry 

Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2022 at 09:18
Well D, it's still in the "development" stage & you already are on a quest to fix the belt eating issue. Maybe a proper pulley/belt set up will enhance the general running too. Might take different track tho to help with any hill climbing... too maybe the general design does not make it a hill climbing machine. Have you seen any factory videos of those units that might address if it was even designed to climb hills. Maybe it was meant to be a unit for ice fishing transportation! Flat snow covered ice travel.Confused
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2022 at 09:51
Because you are standing up on it, the effective weight goes down as the hills get steeper...less traction.  leaning way forward might help a little!   but not much.  And the force neede to climb is much higher than the running flat force.  S it might need more force (gear ration) more power , and more 'bite' from the track into the snow.

Edited by BEAR - 21 April 2022 at 09:54
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2022 at 12:35
Way plenty of power.
The track spins, forward progress stops. It's pulling the belt apart, I'm looking at one with a way bigger belt.
Johnson track only has carbide cleats about 3/8 inch thick, for traction.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2022 at 19:45
I ordered a real clutch for the dog.

GoPowerSports 780 TAV Kit 18 to 30hp

• 1- 780 style driver for 1" crankshaft or 1
  • 1- 780 style driven pulley 3/4" bore
  • 1- 1 3/16" wide drive belt
  • 1- 12T Sprocket for 41/420 chain
  • 1- jackshaft assembly
  • 1- 3/8" heavy duty steel back plate with all mounting hardware
  •  All mounting hardware included

The belt is twice as wide and for a bigger motor.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 18:33

WOW the new clutch IS WAY bigger.
The Pics are of both the small one is the old clutch.
The belt is twice as wide. 
The reduction is the same.
Like 4 to 1 to start them .70 to 1 up on top.
It will take a little modifications like drill some mount holes in the plate and a motor shaft extension. Move the chain sprocket on the jack shaft. I'll have to relocate the brake caliper and make a cover to keep snow off the belt.

lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 21:03

Wow, now that should handle your motor.
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 13:23
Clutch going on as easy as hoped.
I'm having an extension for the output shaft on the motor Made in a machine shop. Should be finished in a week. Everything seams to be lining up just right, Lucky for me. I have a plan to relocate the brake calipers.
This belt will NOT brake.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 14:11
Looks really strong.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 15:12
The new clutch is on.
I had to add 2" to the shaft.
The mechanist put in a 1/2" grade 8 steel stud.
I added some red Loctite and tightened it up.
I put 4 thin grinder cut off wheels in the angle grinder, that came out just the right thickness as the keyway on the motor shaft. I cut a keyway on the new shaft. A 3" peace of key and it locked it all together. Another grade 8 steek bolt and it's on.
Looks good to me and turns smooth up and down.
Some chain work and move the brake and I'm back in busies.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYWeOuHh034

Edited by d4570 - 06 May 2022 at 15:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic