The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Transportation in the Outdoors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

CB's skee horse just never dies.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2021 at 18:34
Originally posted by d4570 d4570 wrote:

Maybe Lizard will enlighten us with some of his wisdom here.
 On motors not spreading his legs around something HOT!
I think he is a small motor expert or something.
I can figure most things out but two stroke especially OLD two stroke motors are posed by devils' and demons.Confused

Well he did and he gave me some places to look.
This is what it sounded like before it stopped.

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2021 at 19:22
can't tell if it is 'leaning out' ; or choking out (rich).
  But it sounds like fuel problem.  

is the spark plug 'wet' after it quits???
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2021 at 19:45
Yes very
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 08:52
Well. sounds like your earlier thought...running tooo rich.  So you need a carb rebuild/tune-up.

“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 10:38
Bear,
  I agree with you.
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 11:02
At least it is down-draft carb.  hated to work on up-draft cards!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 11:07
Thoughts????

I spent a good bit of time in Alaska, cold and everyone has a Snow Machine.

Alaska is the last frontier, and just like my days living on a farm....everyone keeps everything for parts.  Visited a large sea-cargo box on an Island north of the artic circle.  that box had about 500 old used/dead snowmobiles....'for parts'.

Alaska is the source for vintage snowmobile parts (besure to call them AK proper 'Snow Machines, not snowmobiles)

Maybe sending them a pic of the old original sled, AND a close up pic of the engin/carb  could get you some newer parts?????

Edited by BEAR - 25 April 2021 at 11:08
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 11:15
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 12:22
Cool that's a thought.

BUT I have to be practical.
 If I spend 300 bucks on parts I still have a 50 year-old motor.
 I can get a NEW Predator motor for $400.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 13:43
We I understand.  But you think the old skee is running fairly good.

Maybe even sending a picture of your old machine; I'd not say you were canibalizing it, might get you some free info.  like the year/model.  and maybe even a specific photo copied  instruction manual?

would $50  for a cab with your carb in exchange be out of the budget???

personally, I've thought of making one for here in the east.  BUT as gasoline engines are un reliable, I was thinking two car 12 volt batteries and a starter motor.  When one battery runs out; it is the time to turn around.  I'd use it at a slow speed, just to pull out a deer or elk.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 16:08
I thought of that too.
A starter will not work, Lots of power but will not run long.
 Maybe even burn up the starter after 15 or 20 minutes of continues running.
I'd bet a furnace motor out of a trailer or a water pump that is 12 volt.
If your handy which you are, take an old truck generator. If you turn the brush plate 1/4 turn it becomes a motor. The new cars that shutoff at stop signs use the generator to start.

No $50 would not brake the bank. 
A $150 carb two $50 coils then find another problem and I'm very near the price of an electric start 13 hp motor.
$500 and I can get a V twin .
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 17:16
In side the carb.
I got it apart, It was very clean in side.
The float needle valve is showing no undo wear.
The float was set to "High" actually when turned upside down it would be low. There is a spring on the pin that holds the float to the carb seamed to be in wrong. It was not "springing" anything. I turned it over and it slightly lifts the float so when in operating side up it would add slight pressure to the float valve. My guess it to keep the float from jumping up and down as the sled bounces along. I set it at 3/8 inch as most the directions say.
I took out the reed valve assemble I have no Idea what it should look like but it was clean and the reeds moved well with slight breath blowing on them. All the zillion screws that held it to gather where tight.
The fuel pump, pumps well, internal filter I washed backward with gas and air no indications of a problem. I put every thing back together after a good amount of air shot through all the little holes.
I set the high and low speed adjustments to 2 turns out. $ pump on the primer choke closed I pulled twice and it fired up nice.
It runs like before, a few minutes and it starts to stumble white smoke poor's out of the muffler then floods to a stop.
I could get it to started again but it takes multiple pulls no prime or choke it will fire once then the next pull maybe twice, keep pulling and it will start but I can't keep it running moving the throttle open and closed. So nothing changed......Confused

Edited by d4570 - 25 April 2021 at 17:17
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 17:31
sounds like you done  good job.  Not sure why it is still running rich????

money better spent on new engine WITH electric start.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 18:08
I'm going on with the project.
I'll start to build the "Truck" to hold the bogies and cogs.
I'm not sure how heavy I should make it. The skee horse was all Aluminum, which I can't work with well, so Angle or channel Iron for the frame. I think like 1.5 by 2, 3/16 maybe.

The plat part with 1/8 steel?
The plat parts to anchor the cog axles and on the other side the drive.

Frame out of angle, thin wall tubing is better but I have to weld sleeves in to every hole to keep from crushing it when the bolts are tightened.

Edited by d4570 - 25 April 2021 at 18:14
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2021 at 13:23
I started to fab up the track truck.
I have the bogies hooked together and planning the drive and back cogs.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2021 at 13:33
Looks plenty strong.  good work D.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2021 at 14:28
1.5X1.5 3/16 angle.
Probably way over kill, still a lot of pieces to fab up yet.
I'll have a deck over the track, the the motor/drive mounts.
I'm making the track assembly to come off so If I ever need to do track work or bogies.
On the Johnson you had to separate the track at the splice to get it off.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2021 at 15:13
I've got most of the "Truck" chassis for the track fabbed up.
I ordered a new 16 HP 4 stroke Electric start Motor and a torque converter clutch drive to match the motor.
It's my Daughters BD todayClap, I hope to have some Pics of the track and carrier soon.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2021 at 06:56
Happy Birthday to Daughter.

Looking good.  NEW Motor, sound reliable for you to be 3+ miles from the truck.  good idea.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2021 at 13:22

Well I have the "Truck" chassis finished and ready to start fabricating up the deck and moto area.
I think I made it so I can remove the track in one piece.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic