The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Transportation in the Outdoors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Dang if I do, Dang if I don't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dang if I do, Dang if I don't.
    Posted: 05 January 2021 at 13:19
Big Red Ford is back in it's parking spot.
Nothing that $7,700 wont fix.
About $1500 over what I thought it would be.
BUT it's back. I was very torn which way I should go.
I had an estimate for $11,500 for a new motor, or $6,200 for heads.
The heads are new and a 1 year warrantee, the motor would have had a 5 year 25,000 mile prorated warrantee. Time frame was about the same 6 to 8 weeks. The motor was from the used dealer I got it from.
 The heads done by one of the BEST Mechanics in town. But had a 2 month wait to get in, then the work.
He checked and or replaced every thing he touched. Injectors, coils, plugs, Timing chains, everything. The compression on the good 6 holes was still at factory specks for new. It is still a hard pill to swallow on a truck with 80,000 miles. The transition checked out great. He checked the transfer case and both differentials all looked prefect. In two weeks we head for WY. for a 4 day coyote trip. I'll see if the fuel use comes back to what it was before the problem.
Boy I hope I picked the right direction to go with this.
I hope it last to 300,000 and 20 years like the Sububern.DeadConfused
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2021 at 06:32
Anything with a infernal combustion engine is a pain!
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2021 at 07:05
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

Anything with a infernal combustion engine is a pain!

AND $$$$$$$$$$$Confused
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 01:02
I'm sure you made the right decision. It sounds like the heads were the only problem. Your mechanic checked everything else out. 

Good for another 200,000 miles. 

What engine did you have in your Suburban?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 06:50
Just a regular 350 throttle body injection.
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 18:55
Originally posted by d4570 d4570 wrote:

Just a regular 350 throttle body injection.

One of the, if not the, best V8 ever made.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 19:03
Hill, it would be hard to argue against that point.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 11:14
350 with the Vortex manifold, and a carb or Trottle body injectors.....run for ever.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 15:14
I agree that the small block Chevrolet is one of the best engines ever built. 

Ol' Rusty has the same engine. A throttle body injected 350. I'm not sure how many miles are on it but it still runs. 

The only thing I don't like about it is it originally came out with something like 170 horsepower. Several years ago I replaced the cam thinking that might help. I used the biggest, longest duration cam that was suggested by Crane Cams. I couldn't tell that it made a difference at all. 

About a year ago the exhaust finally rusted off and basically was hanging from the last rusty screw that attached to the frame. I took it to the local exhaust shop and after a short discussion with the muffler guy and explaining that I didn't want to spend $600 on a $500 pickup we decided that a single 3 inch in and out muffler with a short turn down pipe would be the best choice. 

I'm pretty sure a big part of the low HP problem is the exhaust. The 3 inch really woke it up. now it gets more out of the cam upgrade. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 15:28
YUP
I was going to do dual but I guess no one does that anymore. We went to just ONE huge pipe and you could sure feel the difference, that was when it only has 200,000 miles on it.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 16:38
At 200,000 miles it was just starting to get broke in. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2021 at 07:33
If Rusty's speedodmeter worked!  I'm sure the number would start with a 3. 

Throtlebody injectors don't give the most power, nor best mileage...but they last forever, and if needed can be changed fast and cheap.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 02:14
Just made a 5 hour drive for a new hard cover. Wife found it on marketplace for a few hundred bucks. May need one of those for yours D. Still envious of that bumper. Glad to hear you got it sorted.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 08:17
I don't like hardcovers on my trucks.
I had a cap on one of them I liked because I could sleep in it.
But there was always something I needed in the back that would not fit in side.

NOW

In my all fixed truck we were going to pull the boat to a very remote landing and go up in to the wilderness of the river calling coyotes.
Got the trailer all hooked up at 4:00 am hit the key... Nothing.
The truck would not turn/start.
All the lights and all worked but the started was sound asleep I guess.

DANG

$8000 and it wont start 3 days after I get it home.
It was starting fine. We took the boys truck and left.
The trip I'll tell you about in a different post.

I talked with the guy that did the work and he said there's nothing he did that would affect the starting...

More looking needed today.OuchCry
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 10:35
Could be a bad starter relay!  I've replaced a lot of those.  or dirty coroded terminals on started/relay.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:42
I looked at all that and a few things my mechanic suggested.
Barring some security issue or a computer issue I think it is the starter. I tried to tap on the starter but no go. I can feel the starter "Click" slightly when the key is turned. SO in my mind it is the starter.
I have replaced it once, never do that again, and know it is a bitch.
I have the tow truck coming in the morning.Ouch
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:56
I've done lots of GM starters.  Unfortunately the starter motor, solenoid, and  relay are all packed together.  Fords have separate started relay, easily replaced, cheap, and usually the problem.  My checy boat engine eats starteds (moisture).  no room for my old hands and fingers to work in.  starter cost $180, but installation takes it to over $550.

good luck.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 14:37
NOPE not anymore Ford has the solenoid on the starter now days bear. and it is run by the computer not the key switch. The key switch just ask the computer to turn on the starter.Cry

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 14:16
UP date.
 Another $400 bucks.
 A new starter is going in as we speak.
I did the starter a year and 3 months ago, one year warranty, it is the hardest starter I ever did. I said never again. So $400 bucks.
I have to get this finished up, we head to Wyoming in 4 days.
Ouch
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 14:22
D,  You deserve a 'wallet break'.

was toying with buying a 2 year old Surbaban....lots of rethinking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic