The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

sight problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sight problem
    Posted: 03 August 2020 at 13:42
took the M1 carbine to the range.  this is to be my 50 yd deer rifle this year.  Factory/mil sights; shot fine at 50 yds, 2 inch group.  Front is a fixed cast blade (enhanced); rear is a peep like and 03a3.  has spots for 50-300 yards.

rifle is shooting 4 inches high at 50 on lowest rear setting.

I could build up the front sight; but that might change it $$$ value from perfect mil.  No way to lower the rear.

mightbe screwed to using Pen-tucky windage.

Any thoughts????

Edited by BEAR - 03 August 2020 at 13:57
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 14:06
Just one .
Shoot 4" low Big smile
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 14:30
+1

Wink
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2020 at 15:12
un acceptable.  precision is required, before entering the field.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 00:08
wait for deer to be closer
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
windywales View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windywales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 00:12
Shooting military spec ballistics?  Tried US issued hardball?  Can't jack up the velocity and expect the military sights to work.  My best guess, though, is that nobody expected it to shoot like a varmint rifle; the 32-20 performance was what they were looking for, but in a semi-auto package they'd have been happy with what you're getting, I think.  Only guy I know of that really used the carbine to full edge of the envelope was Audie Murphy; he tackled at least one sniper with one and came out on top (though wounded).  Military stuff often expected you to use Kaintuckish windage; I think the Colt Dragoon sights were supposed to be dead on at 100 yards--pretty weird for a pistol.
windy
Whar i growed up "magnum" wuz anuther wurd fer "lousy hunter"
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 08:53
Well, the carbine was the most produced rifle of WW-2 and the best to many.

But originally made it had only a two positioned flip aperature rear sight.   When made the front sight was slightly higher than needed and the armoror would just file it down to get it properly sighted in.  Worked fine.

Troops in WW-2 were often good shooters before the war, and they didn't think much of 'kentucky windage' so mil changed the rear sight to and adjustable peep.  fine.  But later wanted to add a bayonet lug so most rifles were recalled and fitted with a new lug/barrel band, which required the front sight to be removed (a task).  When the guns were stripped the front sights all went into a wooden barrel.  And later mounted on any rifle.  So the file to fit was lost.  And most went back into service without proper sights!

My solution was to use JB Weld and build up the front sight (.050), then file to proper height and coat with  flor. Orange.

just a bit of history!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic