The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Shotguns, Shotgun Ammunition and Shotshell Reloading
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

mec super sizer 12 gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mec super sizer 12 gauge
    Posted: 21 May 2020 at 20:44
I'm in the market for a mec super sizer 12 gauge resizer.
Anyone have one they no longer use?
My 870 has a hard time chambering some of my reloads. The very last 1/8 inch of the brass sometimes is very tight.
I can get it in if I slam it hard, and out is a disaster.
I have my reloader clamped down about as small as I can pull the handle.
I don't want to close it up anymore for fear of damaging the rest of the MEC press.
80% of my loading is into new hulls for steel shot but I do use some once fired and pickups if they don't land in the alkali water.
Maybe 200 a year, used hulls. Fiocchi seems to be the worse. I love to load Rio hulls but they seem to dissolve in our caustic waters.
Federal reload OK, but they're twice as costly.
By the way, the blue Rio 3" hulls are no longer available, Dang it.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 03:29
Yep, that is a major problem with the Mec progressive reloaders. As you say they just don't size the lower 1/8" of the brass.  thiss causes hang ups on autos and even on my doubles; pumps have more closing force.

Mec should just supply the resizer with their press.  It means much slower production.  One Mec progressive was one too many for me.  Dumped the Mec pres along with the sizer.  sorry.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 13:00
Interesting comments on MEC....I have loaded thousands of 12ga double AA shells for trap shooting on a MEC 9000G with no issues of fitting into my 870 pump. Used MEC sgl stage presses for hunting loads in 12 & 20ga & never had issues in my double guns or o/u types. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 16:38
Mine are all hunting loads and high brass/steel hulls.
In fact the RIO are taller brass then all of them.
Don't know if that is an issue or not.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 17:30
D...trap hulls have short brass might be the reason no issues for me. Most hunting shells have HIGH BRASS like yours & might be cause of issues like yours. Must be a reason MEC offers the Mec Super Sizer @ a super size price: $122.00. I just never experienced that problem.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic