The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Birds and Bird Dogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Pigeons/eurasian collar dove trap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pigeons/eurasian collar dove trap
    Posted: 04 August 2019 at 14:47
Grandson helped build pigeon trap today after shooting. Daughter's neighbor has been feeding birds, naturally pigeons and collared doves have moved in. Daughter finally got fed up with them and agree to let me trap them, as long as she doesn't have to eat them. I was telling grandson how we used to catch pigeons and have pigeon shoots, he's all in for the shooting part.

We would just throw them up, put them under box, or with head tucked under wing, for flushing them. Hopefully will get some and take 410 and grandson out of town, to shoot some pigeons, next weekend.

He's been spending half of his Sunday morning shooting time, chasing birds and squirrels, with pellet gun, too many neighbors to shoot up in air, with 22rf and squirrels are hard to get, with pellet gun. Mom doesn't approve of him shooting birds/squirrels, for practice. She's OK with hunting and hunts, but doesn't think you should shoot it, unless you're going to eat it and she didn't think starling pie, sounded like good idea. I agreed, she doesn't have to let him shoot birds, at her house.

I might have to stake a few pigeons out, so he can ground sluice them, until he gets a little bigger. Be good practice for grouse season. Annie Oakley, is about head or two taller than Landyr.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2019 at 16:32
Dang, that is small.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2019 at 17:27
Even for 8 1/2, he's pretty small, about the smallest in his grade, he's still got some growing to do.

I cut down 22, about as far as I can and it still's pretty big.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2019 at 18:28
Looks like what he may lack in height, he makes up for in determination.

My 4 grandkids are inUk for a 3 year assignment; but will be going over there in 2 weeks.  missing them.

Robert you and D45 are lucky fellows.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2019 at 19:07
I am blessed for sure.Clap
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2019 at 22:51
I certainly miss seeing them, when I'm gone for even couple weeks.

I realize how good I have it, I bring dinner over, at least once a week and get a weekly trip over of oldest, for range day. I'm working on getting youngest over for his BB gun range day, maybe after his third BD, this fall. I've even been trusted to babysit, a few times, for a few hours. I'm still working on the all day hunting/fishing trips, daughter's given OK for grouse trips this fall, as long as I don't let him drive.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 14:16
" as long as I don't let him drive. "
Dang that's harsh !!!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2019 at 15:40
Wing also has a GD that hangs out at his house.  Bet he tries to get her involved inshooting.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 03:00
Grandson caught first three pigeons, by this weekend he should have a few more live targets.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2019 at 00:57
Bear, 

Yes I do. I have had her out shooting quite a few times. We always have a great time. She isn't totally convinced about the killing an animal part yet, but she likes eating game meat so I'm hopeful. 

Her mom will be hunting with me for the first time this year. She drew an antelope tag and an elk tag. I can't wait. 

Congratulations Robert. You are teaching them skills that will last a lifetime. 

Could you post a picture of the trap you built? I think I might need one for my back yard. 
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2019 at 02:47
I'll try to get pic, trap is at daughter's. What I did was take rabbit cage, I had and made a trap door, using bucket bails, as bobs. I kind of used this trap door, as pattern. Because cage already had hole for feeder, in corner, door ended up being too wide, if they keep escaping, I'll have to make smaller door, in back and close this one off. Door should only be 3-4" wide and cage I used had 6-8" feeder cutout. Double prong bobs, work better than single. I used coat hanger, for wire and it was too pliable.

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSPGLP.html

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2019 at 11:33
Thanks Robert. I have a lot of eurasion doves living in the trees in my back yard. I'm sure I can do something a lot more productive with them than shooting them with a pellet gun. 

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2019 at 12:38
Since they're a bit smaller than pigeons, you may need to make hole and bob's gap, slightly smaller.

You could make Dove Poppers, take dove breast, after brining in salt water, sliver of jack cheese or cream cheese, under jalapeno slice, wrap with bacon and grill until just done, they're pretty good.

Edited by RobertMT - 09 August 2019 at 12:39

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2019 at 14:04
That does sound good. Thanks Robert
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 10:12
In Northern Yorkshire, introduced myself to some wood doves.

Ripon Castle shoot pheasant shoot will be rescheduled.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 10:46
great idea robtmt on the pigeon trap and planned usage for the captives. Got the little guy started on the right path for sure.Thumbs Up
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 13:40
I believe the wood doves, are what is called rock pigeon, on west coast. Every fall, we used to make trip to hunt rock pigeons, in the oaks, between coast and inland deer seasons. They would move through, as the acorns got ripe, they also were hard on cherries, but CA had season, closed at that time of year. We would hunt the pigeons early and late, with quail in middle of day. Quail were in slightly different brushy areas, between oak ridges, so often you could just sit up between water/roasting area and feeding areas and pass shot them, like doves, except they dodged between trees, instead of open sky. Quail and pigeon were always my favorite bird hunting, Brittney I had at time, hunted either better than pheasant. She hunted too close for pheasant and like me, liked the slower walking pace. I guess some of the gamble's and CA quail being released on shooting clubs, are making it through winter and they can't raise or release them anymore, so they are fair game, just like collared dove now, no season/no limit . If they take root, might be a late summer hunt, collared dove and quail.

The trapped pigeon count is eight. With GS's test fit of 410, yesterday, shotgun shooting, will have to be put off a while. We'll see how he does with 22, for grouse, squirrel, and rabbit, the weekend after next. I put red dot on the lil rascal and he seemed to shoot it better offhand, than the scoped 22 semi, that I had cut stock down on, way lighter, by half or more. GS's plan now is too raise pigeons, in my old chicken coop and lots to shoot next year, with shotgun, when he's bigger. I don't mind having a few pigeons around, they're pretty easy keepers and I don't "garden" so they won't get into that. I have more cherries/berries/grapes than I ever eat, so it might as well be pigeons eating them, instead of wasps. Neighbor's might not agree, but new neighbors are granolas and already don't like me much either.

Edited by RobertMT - 26 August 2019 at 13:46

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 13:03
wood pigeon; white on collar, white belly; and white on wings in flight.  (imported).

Common city pigeon is a rock dove (imported).

Had two large wood pigeons with me for dinner.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 14:32
Count of trapped pigeons, even dozen.

I believe these are what we shot in CA, Wild pigeon
Color and size seem right and they were only around in late summer early fall, for a short time.

This and it's kind is what Landyr's been trapping.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 09:13
Landry's look like our common pigeon or rock dove.

Image result for rock dove vs pigeon

So many feral pigeons around, escapees, that they are all in breed.

The wood pigeon is much bigger.  when it takes to flight it sounds like our ruffed grouse, and is almost as laarge.  lots of white so it is easy to spot on the wing.  Over here, across the big pond, farmers want them doa.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic