The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Gone Fishin'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Sturgeon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sturgeon
    Posted: 09 June 2019 at 08:41
In spite of a wet forecast ,Son and I took the big boat to Loma fishing. Other the BIG current the ramp at woods bottom is a lot easer to launch when the water is high. Sun up we where off. fished every "carp hole" we found. Got fish at every one, but the target was Sturgeon.
Gobs of cat fish...

plenty of BIG carp...

And even a blue sucker...

Not a lot of goldeye, few suspected walleye bites.
Fishing worms on the bottom we did not find any bass or pike.

Not a lot of goldeye, few suspected walleye bites.
Fishing worms on the bottom we did not find any bass or pike.

We did have to do a little boat ramp edict training in the morning. Some dink was camped there and parked his john boat in the center of the ramp. H got up and moved it but to the down stream side of the ramp, we had just enough room to launch but when we put it in forward and hit the gas we put 50 or 60 gallons of water in to his boat...
We also had a wobble roller disintegrate  and had to red neck a fix to get home .

Fixed it at home , Boy and D-I-L are back after them today
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 12:46
Are those sturgeon any good eating? Looks like they have more meat, than white sturgeon, that size. Years ago sturgeon had to be over 5ft to keep, now they have to be 4-5ft to keep.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 15:32
Shovelnose sturgeon are the smallest of the sturgeon and very tasty.
They have to be UNDER 40" to keep. Cool ancient fish to fish for.
They do a lot of jumping and can pull like a train out in the current .
All the fish we got where released including the goldeye and carp to fight another day.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 11:12
When I first snagged paddlefish, I thought they tasted similar to white sturgeon, how do shovelnose compare to paddlefish or to catfish? I asked SIL if they wanted to go after paddlefish, since this year should've been good. He liked the caviar, but not the meat, I kinda feel the same and didn't want to go alone.

I haven't gone for 15yrs or more, used to go, when limit was two, stop by Fresno, Nelson for walleye and PD and then camp @ James Kiff for paddlefish and catfish. Last time I was by there, it's looks like they've developed campground, so would cost to camp there, but pretty nice area.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 13:58
Kipp cost like $12 but there is 3 down stream toward Slippery Ann that are free.
You have to put in for a draw and permit to fish them now.
I don't think they taste anything like PD.fish or cats .
To me there very mild and chewy.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 14:07

More SundayConfused
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 20:45
Another successful trip. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 22:18
It's been 40+yrs since I fished for sturgeon and stripers, in delta. Big sturgeon were close to 300lbs, 8 1/2-9ft long, anything below 6' 100lbs were put back, as too small. Stripers were fun to catch, not much for eating though, even after removing blood line and dark meat next to skin. Paddlefish to me, is like fishy chicken breast, OK if you marinate it in soy sauce/wine/oil and BBQ it, certainly not any better though. Sound's like shovelnose sturgeon, might be similar to ling? Kinda like a chewy scallop or lobster?

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 07:33
How old would a 40" fish be??
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 14:10
Don't know for sure but I read someplace a 40" fish is around 40 years old
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 14:55
so, a 100" fish is older than I am!  Sounds like being a fish isn't bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic