The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Gone Fishin'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

barbless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: barbless
    Posted: 05 June 2019 at 08:21
I've been fishing barbless hooks for about 15 years.

I just use a pair of needlenose pliers and pinch back the barb.  Seems to work fine on #16 trout to #12/0 for sharks.

never lost a fish because of it.  BUT you MUST hold constant pressure on the line.

I fished with 3 guys on a lake that was barless only in Canada.  The guys were all USA types.  None pinched back their barbs...feeling they needed the barb.  I out fished them.  And none of my fish were killed taking out the hooks, while many of therirs were killed taking out 3barbed trebles.

just my thoughts. 
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 00:30
When I went to Canada with my Dad for several years we pinched the barbs on our hooks. I don't remember loosing any fish but our thoughts were that since we were casting from a relatively small boat that if one of us hooked the other we could get the hook out easier.

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 01:11
That's the best augment for barbless yet. Barbs can be a real pain, when fishing with kids. I don't play with my food, so I use barbs where legal.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 06:01
I use barbless as I seldom kill sport fish.  Mrs Paul's fish sticks are fine with me.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 18:44
Bear,

I'm thinking if you ate very many Walleye you might change your mind about throwing them back.

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 07:54
Ate a lot of walleye.

Most places I fish, in the East, don't have enough fish to be killing them.  Ocean and northern canada do in some places.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:59
Most stream/river trout limits are three fish, but often catch and release fishermen, will have 100 fish days and brag they always release their fish. Even with a 10% mortality rate, which many consider conservative number, they are killing more fish than, someone taking their three fish for dinner.

Flathead Lake's, lake trout limit is 50, only one above slot, 30"-36" which must be released. Some days, you can load up on <30" smoking fish, some days all you catch are in slot. I've never got keeper, above the slot, but 35" are pretty fun. 24" to 30" fish are best smoking size, I should be out fishing now, but need to get boat, outta mothballs first.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 17:12
Yep add barbs and 10% goes to 90%.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 10:52
So which benefits fishery more, I take home first three fish, I catch or guy who catches and releases 100? Some waters have limits, any landed fish, counts against your limit, whether you release it or not. This would hurt the guides, but help the fish population, correct?

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 07:39
Not fishing is the best way to protect the resource.  Some places in Florida are banning all fishing!!!

I think trout fishing with bait, is a sure kill.  And the 3 fish limit (must keep) would result in less kill.  Anything that keeps the hook in the mouth, not the gut is good.

I fish bait only with circle hooks, barbless.  hook is always in the corner of the mouth and can be released with a 100 o twrist.  Most guys don't like circle hook; but is really works better than a j-hook...and makes  for low dead release.  I caught the same 7 foot shark 3 days in a row, circle hook.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 08:01
Much of Oregon coast, has the same fishing ban or has restricted it enough, to stop sport fishing. They don't do anything, about sea lions eating returning salmon and cormorants eating the baby ones.

TomP View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 21:16
One of the merits of a barbless hook is easier withdrawal if you hook your own ear...
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 23:46
Another good point.   less permanent treble earrings
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 00:31
Sign of being a baitshopboy? Not really a jewelry kinda guy!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
TomP View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 14:10
I only ever fished Flathead Lake once, caught a bucket full of yellow perch off a small dock across the road from a motel on the south side...
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 16:24
For perch I use a circle hook.  great for bait.  On muskies I use a barbless circle hook; no damage and sure hook.  BUT without barbs, one must hold constant tension or they will throw the hook.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
windywales View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windywales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 19:07
Growing up, back in the day when any really good fisherman ran out of people to give his fish to, I realized that when they said "10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish", they were talkin' about my uncle, who felt he had to bring home the evidence of his prowess.  Nowadays, I'm happy to say, 90% of those 10%, the best fishermen, practice catch-and-release.  Might mean my grandkids will get some use out of the tackle I'll be passing down; Lord knows they'll be too broke to buy their own, from payin' back this stimulus money the politicians are giving away!
windy
Whar i growed up "magnum" wuz anuther wurd fer "lousy hunter"
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 05:06
I understand WW.  I've been catch and release for decades.  Everyone has a right to take a limit of fish, butI feel bad when I see someone with a plastic stringer of Fish.  Even trophy kills, are a loss of a powerful breeding fish...alive it can mean more fun for lots of people.

Big fish are dificult to land, unhook and return in an 'unstressed' condition.  Anytthing caught on 3 barbed treble hooks is dead.

A single circle hook is very effective with live bait..in many cases better than an artificial lure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic