The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Calls and lights?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calls and lights?
    Posted: 13 January 2019 at 16:01
I hate to jump into this without any experience, but I think it's time to just s*** or get off the pot and give myself the push to get out year round. After the guys I work with a couple days a week bailed on me and they have unproven gear, I have chosen to say f*** it and just get my own setup. I'm serious about culling out the noisy rascals in my neighborhood and perhaps quite a few others while I'm at it. So the questions are, whats a good call system with at least a 100yds range for the remote? Whats better, red or green lights and what should I be looking for? What should I be looking for in inexpensive optics for dark to early light options on both a centerfire and a shotgun? Any and all suggestions are welcome as other then watching YouTube videos, I have 0 experience with them.

Thanks guys and with all hopes this will lead to much fur and carnage in the future shown upon this sight....and the local spread....without seminal fluids.

...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 16:41
Any of the "Fox Pro" line up is great.
Some around $100 to well over $500.
The Lucky duck call looks good too ,I have never used one.
Stay away from anything hand held.
I don't use one yet but a diaphragm call lets you call back as soon as you here a coyote , then I try to match the call with my FoxPro.
 We don't use light much but we do have "Night eyes" on our heads and A "night eyes" hand held for a KILL light.
You will need a kill light regardless what you may think.
Red is better they say, green lights up better but will show dust and moisture and fog , A lot of people just use white but only on uncalled dogs. Don't burn them , just use the edge of your light pattern till your ready to shoot, and don't light up your partner that a dead give away.
Get some electronic hearing muffs too you can hear them thinking about coming in.

Edited by d4570 - 13 January 2019 at 16:45
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 17:22
Heard of the FoxPro's, which night eyes? Got a line on the psychic headsets?
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2019 at 06:26
In 'otes sound is everything.  Some calls have poor sounds.

At night freezing your butt off ain't no time to be saving $50.

I think fox Pro has the best sounds.  they are in PA not to far from you.

Mine is the inferno.

Your lucky, now PA allows you to mount the red light on your rifle.  We use to have to hold it in hand.  lots of guys still mount the light on a short piece of broom handle and curl that in their hand on the forearm.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 00:36
I agree on the Foxpro. 

I'm not much help on lights though. They don't let us hunt after dark on public land. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 06:23
J Inferno Fox pro on sale at Grices.  $199
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 12:45
Do I need to get the wiggled bait thingy? Seems everyone has one and does it work off the inferno controller or just how does it work? Trice has a nice enough selection for sure.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 13:18
every one seems to like the woodpicker/magpie thing.  I have a battery operated  rabbit thaat works independent of the call; I don't always use it.

Suggest you get something basic and try the stuff out to see what works best for you.

Must say here in the east i don't night hunt anymore.  bad eyes and range is too close in dark woods...only powerlines and gas pipelines give me enough vision for night hunts...I do those in Clerafield, 10 miles north of Grices.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 13:51
We have tried many decoys never could get a definitive answer.
We have a Montana decoy silhouette coyote that seams ton work as good as any.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 11:52
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 15:59
Quarterly bonus this Friday...might just jump on that hammerjack! Get the wiggly bait all in one....one less thing for me to forget!   
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 16:00
Surviving the snowpocalypse?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic