The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Need help sleeping!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help sleeping!
    Posted: 08 January 2019 at 03:35
Seems I have a rather large pack of yotes around the place, best guess is 9+. I work til 3ish am and the buggers are chatting it up so much it's hard to get my few hours sleep before the day gets started with the girls. Wish one of you guys would sneak over and whack em all off so I can finally get a few Z's.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 09:00
OK I'm heading over right now, where was it you lived ???Big smile
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 09:16
Hour and a half SE of the Bear! Coffee is on, beer is cold, freezer is full and there aint no lock on the liquor cabinet!

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 09:43
OK give me a few , be there soon.Big smile
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 10:07
Got at least 2 bobcats holed up in the rock shelf a couple hundred yards up the ridge and that “bobcat” the size of a large golden retriever with a really long tail is back in the area again. He is a bit worrisome with the little girls out in the yard...be nice to see him skidaddle!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 00:09
I'm not sure about the fur trade there, but around here bobcats are worth a pretty good chunk of change around here. 

as far as coyotes, Go to your local sporting goods store and get a couple mouth calls. Camo yourself up real good, and walk a pretty good way from anything and find a good hiding spot. start blowing the calls. You never know, If they haven't been hunted they might just come in. 

D4570 knows a lot more about coyote hunting than I ever will, but I would definately give it a try. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 04:40
One of the guys I work with has an electronic caller, never yet used....Another has a red-flood for night hunting...never been either...I have 'yotes...never been hunted yet....yet! Thinkin a time is at hand to end a trend here.

Fur is pretty much worthless here. Yotes are 5- 10 bucks each and bobcats are about 65-75. That big kitty with the long tail is worth probably loss of license and about 25k in fines and possible year in the clink! Might just have to shoot him with the camera.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 05:36
After much deliberation and by far not enough booze consumption, a plan has been hatched! One fella has a light, one has a call, neither have ever been out to use them. Much like D has pointed out, those da** YouTube videos I guess are our research platform. So Sat. night if we are not sheets to the wind, we should be scent down wind for yotes! Guess it's time to learn me some yotes.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 06:44
Sounds like you are hunting the very local pack around the homestead.  So you might only get one change.

suggestions:

Pick you exact location today in daylight.  (no trucks in sight LOL)
put some local vegatation to breakup your silohoute.
get a can of cheapo meat/fish cat food, open it when you get set up, smell/cover scent.
Don't call for at least 30 minutes after you get in.
Thinking 12 ga with 3" #4 or #2, assume you have limited visibility.
use only 'ote calls....NO wounded rabbit.
Check the e-call today so you get it right on the first time; screw it up and nothing will come; calling in east especially Pennsylvania--every 'ote knows all those recordedrabbit call.  light snow expected sat night should be good.

Remember, it can be dangerous shooting at two red eyes, even at 40 yards.  Fawns and does often come into the call...think eye separation and height off the ground.

keep us informed

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 06:55
Good stuff
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 07:06
Figuring two sets, half mile apart and a corner of a ridge away. Got the wind and area well plotted for setup and hiding aspect already. The call is the variable as it’s new and untested. 4am setup time seems to be their active slot. Would you recommend pup or adult yips? Depending on how the first set goes, may be daylight til we get into position for second set as it’s a mile of circling uphill to get the wind right. All constructive advice is helpful here as it’s all new to us.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 07:28
I always start my calling with a Female Yodel.
Then maybe a female challenge.
If they answer back at any point call what there calling.
Match the call.
I use a pup in distress call between any of the rest of the calls.
Give a good pause between calls, don't over call and start out on lower volume.
AND the biggest factor of all...
 DO NOT MOVE even at night they can pick any movements and sounds of movements it's what they do.
Have the gun on your shoulder and be pointing in the direction you expect them to come from. 
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 07:45
I’ll make sure he has his calls right. Gonna be a brace of 223and my 870 so we should have the range pretty well covered. What kind of pauses are we looking at?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 08:02
I try to do 2 to 3 minutes between calls.
I also try to answer back right after they
call back when there talking.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 08:44
If you don't night hunt much, scopes can be difficult.  Try them out well before anything is sighted.

The variable scope will be brightest at a power setting of  1/5 of the objective lens (front tube) as measured in mm.   So a 3-9x x40mm will be brightest  at about 4-5x power.  lighted reticile are good.

You might want to take extra batteries...the cold like tonight will be a drain.  Car charger plug will let you 'top-off' between sets.

IF clear the moon will be brightest around 3 AM and will be a waxing cresent, only 17% illuminating.  With clouds, it will be dark.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 12:49
I do have one illuminated reticle scope...sadly it's in 6x24x80mm on a target rifle. Wouldn't be of much help in tight anyhow. Gonna just do the opens on the 870 and it's hard to screw that up!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 12:56
Originally posted by jsgbearpaws1 jsgbearpaws1 wrote:

Gonna just do the opens on the 870 and it's hard to screw that up!
You would be surprised ....
With out a good "KILL" light you ,or at least I, cant see the front bead, or even the end of the barrel.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 14:43
I have a florecsent tube bead front sight on my  870, does gather some light, 1/2 moon or better.

MY red spot doesn't bounce any light back, so no help.

At this time of year with some snow down, bet you could call them just as well at 30 minutes before sunrise??????
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 15:31
That is the game plan. First set around fivish, and the second just about daybreak. I can still paint a bead even in little light. The red light should offer enough background light to make it fairly easy. At 40 and in the 3" turkey loads should do a pretty good number on one...or two!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 18:12
To get two with a pump under 40 yards Is tough .
A shot at coyote can cover 40 yards at light speed.
That said, I did get a triple with my 870 but with the
super choke and 3 1/2" hand load lead "f" I have out to 75 yards plus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic