The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Gone Fishin'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Weedless Musky (muskie) lure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weedless Musky (muskie) lure?
    Posted: 13 November 2018 at 14:37

Weedless Musky (muskie) lure?

I troll for muskies, in a lake choked with weeds.

Usually I have 4 rods ot at 4 different depths. I get both floater weeds a,d sunmudged weeds.

Any thought about a GOOD semi weedless lure?

The weeds seem to get worse every year. And I get slower cleaning them off.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 05:46
One pound of mixed tannerite, a frisbee, 100' of string or fishing line get to combine both shooting sport and fishing! No weeds wrapped around hooks and such neither!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 13:23
This might be too small for muskies, but my son has been doing great in the weeds against northern pike with this:

I got it for him earlier this summer - he didn't think it would work, but you should have seen his face when the first northern grabbed it off the top of the water and ran with it! Big smile

Since then, he's done so well with it, that he got one for me, too.
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 13:37
I've seen those but never used them on Muskies.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 01:03
How similar are Muskies and Northern? To me they look about the same except different colors. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 05:56
Muskies are generally larger and harder fighting.  Muskellunge are in the same scientific family as the northern pike, Esox.

They are less common than pike (their cousin) and seldom it ever are found in the same lakes or rivers as Northern pike.  Why? Because while muskies grow bigger at maturity, they hatch out later, and the earlier small northens eat them.

Some of my mid-twenties was spent studying muskies and pike in one of the few places that they do co-exist, the upper Niagara River between Lake Erie and Niagara Falls.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 20:27
That's interesting. I have seen a really big Muskie hanging on the wall at Cabelas. It was an amazing fish. 

Years ago my dad and I went to Canada fishing for Northern Pike. I don't remember how much they weighed but we caught some big ones. If I remember right a lot were over 40 inches. 

We used Len Thompson spoon lures.   

It seems like we had the best luck with the yellow 5 of diamond and the white with red stripe lures. I have several with the paint chewed off of them from the amount of fish they caught. 

I am wondering if you could do something with the hook so that it wouldn't get hung up in the weeds?

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 22:18
So you didn't like the Mr. Softie rig? I mean sure it's heavy and ugly, may even get a few laughs after your buddies see it in the tackle and it hits them what it is. Pretty is as pretty does. Works for both Muskies and big stripers trolling style.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 05:44
Wing  those lures we call "5 of diamonds' because of patern.  yellow, silver red and white.  caught many hundreds of northern on then.  cast toward weedy shore and the pike hits it within 3 foot of reeling.

fun.

yep I've caught northerns up to 40 inches.

too many bones to clean; but I lived on the bony snake fish for a week in the wilderness.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 05:46
The soft frogs are good for casting if you keep them on the top of the weeds.  but they twist and get weeds if trolled.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 05:57
They loose a lot of the effect you want when you troll with them. It's the jerky motion that attracts the fish with them. When they get propelled along at a steady pace the legs do the attracting and a regular big bas rooster tail design has a better signature for that. They do make those snag-free hooks with the funny looking springy paperclip straddling the points that are supposed to cut down on weed and grass pickups. I haven't tried them myself but I do consider them every time I get in the junk and get slimy hands.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 07:35
thinking of making some BIG weedless hooks.  use monofilament, 80# as guard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic