The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

shooting cast bullets in autos???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shooting cast bullets in autos???
    Posted: 01 November 2018 at 11:13

When you shoot cast lead bullets out of a gas operated rifle, does the gas port get a large  lead  deposit from shearing off????

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2018 at 15:25
YES! Makes them a single shot.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:02
It would make a difference, based on type of gas gun. If you're talking about AR(DI) type, I've shoot hundreds and know people who've thousands without issues. I know many Garand shooters that use cast, whether they have to clean port, more often, I don't know. AK type will eat anything, again I haven't shot enough(100s), to see a problem. I have no idea about sporting type, (rem 742, BAR, ect), but if you can get enough gas volume to run action, (normally the hardest hurdle, get cast to work) you should be OK.

The gas port is just a hole, so there's no edge to shear off bullet, since they have thousands of PSI and lead has low melting point/low strength, any "fouling" would just get blown through.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:59
Understand that Robert.  The AR, direct impingement would probably blow thru with the normal carbon.  And then would ne in the action and cleaned as needed in AR type rifles.

I'm thinking more of gas cylinder type  autos, like the m1, Ruger,  and the M11 carbine.  The lead is relatively soft and with 45,000 psi behind it might upset/expand into the gas port (a hole at 90 degrees to the barrel.    Small cylinder operated gas autos, actually get little or no carbon as the gas infront of the bullet fills the cylinder chamber and only a small amount of ignited gas gets in; and then after the bullet leaves the barrel, much of it exhausts out the bore.

So many people shooting cast today, I guess this must not be a problem as not heard anything about it.  My gas/cylinder rifles are absolutely clean after 5000 rounds of jacketed bullets..

Edited by BEAR - 02 November 2018 at 10:59
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 15:46
Sorry bear, pistols go single shot if you use them, my bad. SBR's don't fair a whole lot better. They foul very quickly as the gas action is so short and abrupt. Carbon and lead gunk up everything rather quickly compared to carbine length or longer. Longer the distance to the gas port the cleaner it runs. AK's are a blowback design and if you do manage to gunk it up enough, just dip it in your old motor oil and keep going. From what I've seen of them they run better with a bit of gunk in them vs clean. The gunk takes up some of that nasty slop they all have. Never saw one that shat better then 2 MOA....ever!

Talking with some of our younger vets and the funniest part is they all said that if you get more then a few insurgents running without gunfire they sound like tank tracks at a distance from all the AK's rattling as they run. Haven't been to a range in a while to test that hypothesis.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 15:51
I wasn't trying to wise, with comment of port, just being hole, my point was pressure was behind bullet and wasn't going to change 90 degrees and try to force bullet through port. If gas port had burr, that would scrap off lead, it would also scrape jacket, which would be more of an issue than lead, regarding buildup effecting cycling.

Of the piston type gas guns, M1 is probably the most sensitive to port pressure and it's op rod, since many run cast in it, I would think it's not an issue. If the cast didn't fit the bore correctly, I would think that the barrel leading up, would be of more concern. If the lead built up enough in bore, some of it could end up, in gas cylinder and just like carbon fouling, effect the piston's action.

I had severe leading issues with 300BLK and .3085" cast, but it never caused leading in port. When I switched to .310" cast, barrel leading went away.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic