The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Powder Blending

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powder Blending
    Posted: 16 September 2018 at 22:22
About a month ago I was working on loads for the Swede. I loaded 10 rounds each of a couple different powder charges using Reloader 22. Then I loaded 10 rounds each of a couple different powder charges using IMR 4350. 

When I was done, I guess I was thinking more about going to the range than I was about what I was doing and I had about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of IMR 4350 left in my powder measure. So, Here's the not thinking part, I emptied the leftover powder into an almost full one pound container of Reloader 22. DAMN. 

I realized what I did about the time I was putting the lid on the container. 

I marked the container and set it aside and went on with a new container of Reloader 22. 

I haven't done anything with the "Blended Powder" but keep looking at it every time I am loading. 

What would you do with it? IMR 4350 is a little bit faster burning than Reloader 22 but not all that much. As far as loading data for the 6.5X55 43.0 is max for the 4350 and 46.5 is max for Re-22. 

Their isn't much 4350 in the pound of Re-22. What do you think? Use it or dump it?

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 16 September 2018 at 22:24
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 02:56
Well I'ld personally use it, though not in anything vital. More like with a couple rolls of duct-tape and some tannerite under a stump.

...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 09:19
Dump it.  just a few dollars, probably worth less than a pack of smokes.

Or just use each up as plinkers....blending it means no 'book loads' and no repeat-ability.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 11:21
The safest course is to dump it.

If you were to use it, even if you mixed it well, you'd not get same results nor repeatability. As far as the cost, if you load the 150rds or so, using blended powder, you'll be using more than powder's cost in bullets, primers, barrel life, and your time.

I only have one type of powder, out at a time, avoids these type of mistakes.

About as far as I'll go "blending" powder, is adding last of one lot #, to another full lb of different lot #, of same powder.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 21:25
I agree. I was just hoping someone would come up with something it could be used for. I guess I could always test my theory that with the nitrogen content that gunpowder should make good fertilizer. 

I'll dump it in a small area of the yard and see if the grass grows faster or greener. 

Thanks guys. 

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 17 September 2018 at 21:26
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 15:13
Wing, a bit late here to the post but I think your dump on lawn solution was best. Let us know how the grass reacted.
Altho, it is fun to dump smokeless powder in a pile on concrete driveway....on a dark night....and light it off....watch quick tho cuz it burns really fast.....& really Bright!Cool
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 23:54
Yeah, I went ahead and dumped it. I thought real hard about lighting it but I guess I'm getting old and will wait for the grass to grow. 

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 00:15
You should have wrote something in grass with powder. Used to do that in HS, on rival's ball fields, with 21/0/0 fertilizer, it would burn the grass first and then grass would be real green, for long afterwards.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 07:01
Robert...now I hear you were a trouble maker even back then.  LOL
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2018 at 01:02
That is a good idea Robert. If I ever mess up another one i'll do that.

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic