The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

10 mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 mm
    Posted: 30 May 2018 at 13:24
why is Rock Island offering a 1911 in 10mm????

I thought the 10mm was dead after the 40 S&W  was introduced?
MtElkHunter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MtElkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 13:53
I think a lot of people are starting to realize that if you want a semi-auto for home/people defense just about any of the calibers will do (9MM,40S&W, 45ACPetc) but if you want something for outdoors and bigger defense (bears etc) there is not much in the semi-auto pistol to pick from. The 10MM is about as good as it gets unless you do some kind of custom wildcat.
SW Montana
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 15:08
10mm in a plus P or hot load can reach .41 mag levels. Most people shoot the light factory loads at a level of 40 sw +P.

Only downside to the RIA 10mm, to shoot the hotloads and plus P stuff much, a heavier spring is needed. Otherwise it gets top scores from everyone.

The large quantity of limp wristers at the FBI hurt the reputation of the 10. Paul Harrel has a nice video on the 10,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBkjdutVmFA

and Hickok,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKkloQcBp2M
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 15:55
I didn't think the 10mm was more powerful than the 45 ACP?
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 19:45
I've thought many times of getting 10mm, either long slide 1911 or Glock, with either fiberoptic or red dot. Many carry them, for bear protection, around here, way more controllable than 4" 454 or 460 revolver, the other top choice.

I don't know, if I'd put them even with 41mag in revolver, but certainly very close and much faster on target. I carry 45 auto and I would say full house 10mm 5" vs 45+P 5", with 180gr 10mm has the advantage, by a fair margin, 230gr 45+P is real close to 10mm 200gr. When you step up to 6" barrel, 10mm really outperforms 45auto.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 09:18
Kinda like a Howdah gun, when teeth are into the meat of things, it's better then poking them in the eye. Plenty for a 45 or a 10 at that kinda range. The big revolvers do the same thing at that close of range and I doubt you would ever notice the recoil under the circumstances.

So pros; more powerful and more projectiles per mag.

cons; Ammo is a bit more......if you load, it's even

The RIA 10 is a shooter and about 1/4 of what my STI cost. Slap the heavier spring on it and with the saved cash, get the 6" comp barrel and a long slide. Load to +P+ with the 200's at around 1350 fps. Add a decent vortex dot or the like and you have a winner of a carry/backup.
North Logan View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Legendary Lawman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 10:23
I've had a Colt Delta 10mm for many years. Not being a huge fan of recoil anymore I got a .40 S&W barrel fitted to it. One bonus is there is a never ending supply of once fired brass all over the local ranges after the local municipal & city cops practice/qualify.

Smile
"COLTS & PONY CARS"...
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 21:10
There are now Revolvers chambered for the 10mm auto round. It is getting lots of hype lately as the go to cartridge.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 00:15
It's good to see you North Logan

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 03:36
You guys do know you can fire 40 smith's in a 10mm right?
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 08:08
in a revolver, isn't a rimmed round like the 41 mag a better choice?
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 09:14
Moon clips have been around a very long time.

Shooting 40 s&w out of a ten is like 38 plinkers in a 357, most tens come with an extra spring for heavy loads, but the softer springs for reliable cycling of the 40's are only 5-10 bucks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic