The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

R we Nutz or what ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R we Nutz or what ?
    Posted: 09 February 2018 at 08:22
We're Planning a dog trip this weekend. The forecast is light wind but -28* and -45* wind chill.
All the areas schools are closed today because of giant snow fall, buss routes are a mess.
It's about 100 miles one way all gravel .
Are we wasting our time ? We have called successfully in -37* air temp but it is an extreme way to go. for sure.
It takes the coyotes a LOT longer to respond or come in and there not moving for any food sounds. You have to really PI$$ them of to get them to move. :madd:
Anyway I think we will try, if we cant get there we will just have to hunt where we get stopped
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2018 at 09:15
I thought, they never closed schools, in the Falls?

Judging by the wind we had yesterday, lost power several time, due to trees snapping off, you guys must of been hit hard. If you didn't get stopped by the drifts. I would think, first nice day, after a hard storm, they'd have to be out feeding. I would expect mid-morning, would have them moving a bit.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2018 at 11:28
They NEVER close schools in Great Falls.
I don't call many coyotes in Great Falls either.
Many rural schools , bus runs ,and roads are closed up north where I call coyotes .
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 00:17
If it was easy it wouldn't be fun. 

Good luck D.

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 08:54

I hope you are out there.  go get them, I have faith.  Seems everytime things look bad for you you bring something home.

I envy you all that snow and cold and wind...I miss it.

In the florida Keys it is 76oF with a 10-15 mph wind  bright and sunny.  I've been sick last 4 days, in bed, upper respiratory infection.  Hope to get up today.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 11:24
Well thanks bear but we did not get anything.
We had coyotes at every set but none of them wanted anything todo with us. They would come in to about 500 yards and see what the commotion was all about then just lose interest and walk away.

It was a bit colder then predicted.
On the flats it was only around -18 but when you drop in to the river bottoms and coulees the temp would drop to -27 to -35 . The wind was slight then but it doesn't take much wind to find out if you had the right cold weather gear on. 
AND have I ever told  you I HATE snow shoes, well I still do.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 11:40
I like snowshoes as you may remember.  secret is walk slow with reasonable timing...we old Far75 do that naturally.  

In that cold deep snow...only sever hunger would bring a dog out of sleep next to a warm  significant other.

First pic looks like the concret "pier/bunker' that has all the rabbit tracks?  I would have bet you would have got something there.  Maybe when you get a crust that dogs can walk up on???

You still get my special award for THE hunter on this site.

"tomorrow is another day!"
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 20:35
It was too cold for me to get out. I bet it was worth it though. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic