The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Overall length gauge.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overall length gauge.
    Posted: 25 January 2018 at 19:51
Do any of you use an overall length guage?

I have an old Stoney point OAL gauge. They were bought out by Hornady a while back. 

I have a whole bunch of modified cases for it. Each one is around $6.00 to $7.00. I am thinking about getting a 5/16-36 tap and start making my own modified cases. The tap will probably cost about as much as 1 or 2 cases so I should have done this a long time ago. 

Have any of you tried this? 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 20:34
I've always just smoked my bullets and set OAL that way. I don't see any reason not to use what you have and modifying cases for it should be easy enough.

I've got a set of the bullet comparator and shoulder gauges, I haven't found them any more accurate, than the other methods, I used before. They're somewhat quicker and easier to use though.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 06:31
Never sae the need for that type of guage; it just gives you a starting point since I always back off from there.  I've used black magic markers, like Robert.  But if you watch closely, you can see the engraving marks on the bullet jacket.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 23:36
Maybe I will try a black magic marker or candle smoke. I remember trying that years ago before I got a OAL gauge, As I remember I didn't have a lot of luck with that method. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 07:27
Since you have gauge, I would use it. If you want even more accuracy, you could make comparator gauge, to measure to ogive of bullet, for 6.5mm, I would use .250" hole. Just a large nut and drill, is all it takes. You want measurement to point bullet engages rifling or close to it.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 21:40
That's a good next step. Thanks Robert. It looks easy enough to make. 

If I can find a 5/16 36 tap I will get one and make my own modified cases. If I can't find a tap, the cases are only about $6. 

I am really wanting to get the most accuracy I can out of my Swede. In the past, I have found that seating depth makes quite a bit of difference in accuracy. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 08:56
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 08:56

lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 10:46

Both articles are definitely worth reading!Smile  ThanksSmileSmileSmile
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 23:02
Thanks for posting these articles Robert. They are both very informative. I think a bullet comparator is going to be my next purchase. I have always found the OAL that works in my rifle then load to that length. I didn't realize that bullet tips could be up to .020 different. 

Thanks again Robert. 

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 10:48
I had made comparator similar to nut shaped one, I referenced to in pic and Bear posted link to. I also used a upside down pistol case to measure shoulder setback, during sizing. I later bought Hornady set of bullet comparator gauges and headspace gauges, for measuring shoulder setback. While the homemade ones gave me different numbers, they both were just as accurate, at least to .001", that was needed.

The homemade ones, because they measured to a slightly different point of ogive of bullet and slope of shoulder, didn't give as true of number IE: For 6.5mm, 1/4" drill bit, measured to point of bullet ogive reached .250" instead of the actual bore diameter of .256" with slope to .264" of one drilled with throating reamer, but it also gives a hard stop, instead of soft stop, of the slope, that can allow some variance of measure measurement, depending how hard bullet is pushed into it.

I found as long, as I measure CBTO, of round set to touch rifling, as my baseline, either gauge gave repeatable measurements, regarding jump to lands and either was far superior to measuring COAL, for accuracy. When using VLD bullets, I also modify my seating plugs, so they don't contact tip of bullet, but contact nearer to bullet ogive.

Pic is before, I beveled edge to more closely follow ogive of bullet, after pic, doesn't show difference as clearly. You can also just drill center deeper, so it doesn't open up seater to much for hunting bullets. I just bought extra seater plugs.

Edited by RobertMT - 29 January 2018 at 10:51

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic