The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Gonna Breakout the Ole 88

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gonna Breakout the Ole 88
    Posted: 05 December 2017 at 08:46
   I really love this old Winchester 88, with all the talk of new rifles, and fancy this and that, she just sits in the back of the safe ,with her old Redfield 2 x 7 Widefield ready to go. Time to get her out ,get a whiff of the old oil in her wood and go deer hunting, heck may even break out the ,Mackinaw jacket. Back to basic's .
Big smile
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 08:56
probably need to get the metal camo CeroKoted, and add a gray plastic stock with a thumbhole.  Do they make a hi-cap magazine for it.

LOL, really a nice lever gun, the trigger actually moves with the lever.  Does old 88 have the basket weave checkering design?   pic would be nice.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 09:06
    Yes it does Bear, mine was made in 1964. I would like to ,but it's so hard to post picture's here now. Got some of my grandson with his first Whitetail buck this year. These photo sites are a pain. for the most part.
    At one time I had a lam. stock for it, glad I didn't do it .  I'll give it a try  again.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 09:46
" border="0">I give up.  I'm logged on to postimage download my pictures and they come up blank.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 09:56
you posted it fine.

really a thick body deer with a nice rack.  

looks like Trav is cold in the pic.  where did e get it?
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:21
Ah ok just took some time I guess , he went to South Dakota for that one.  I'll try posting the rifle .

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:25
nice gun,  308?

The 99 and the 308 were the early HIGH power lever rifles, that took bottleneck rimless cartridges.  Both are good rifles.  Unfortunately after an initial purchase, the sales slowed down.

When the 88 went out of production, the LGS got in a bunch of carbines, with barrel bands; sort of made to look 'western'.  They were all in 284 win; another dead horse.  the price NIB was $87...always regretted not buying one...but no checkeringd and that barrel band just wasn't my idea of beauty.  I've changed with age.

Edited by BEAR - 05 December 2017 at 11:31
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:36
Yes sir .
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:14
Have the 99 as well , in .308 .  Still no Finnwolf . Cry
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:31
Found this on the 88.  sure I should have bought that 88 in 284 carbine...the most limited model made.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/7/28/a-look-back-at-the-winchester-model-88-rifle/

MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 17:39
God I want a model 88!!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 18:16
It was made to replace the Winchester model 71 in 348.   I got a 71 wouldn't swap; but a 88 in 358 would be a perfect black bear rifle.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 21:08
used to think I needed on of those 88's in .284.... long ago....but like bear I never took any actions to make it happen....now maybe too pricey in that caliber anyway.

nice looking piece there Tika
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 06:32
The 88 is a slick looking rifle. I'm just reintroducing myself to the Sav 99.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 22:46
Very nice Tikka. 

I really like old school hunting. I didn't get to this year, but most years I get in one old school hunting day. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic