The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Shotguns, Shotgun Ammunition and Shotshell Reloading
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

inch and a halfers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: inch and a halfers?
    Posted: 01 September 2020 at 04:09
Seems Paul Harrell has tried some out.

...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 15:10
5/8 oz is the heavy load with them. Thinking nitro patch and 1oz of 7 1/2's, the powder charge is the issue. 3-gun is clays and knock downs. I doubt I wanna shoot a thousand 3 inchers in an afternoon plus the AR and pistol. I want to do this for fun and proficiency, that wouldn't be fun.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 08:07
seems to me that you give up a lot of shot weight and velocity.  I doubt that two  1.5" shells have anywhere near the shot weight or energy of one 3" shell.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 07:33
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 07:27
Yup, Aguilla.

Was looking at the KSG-25 and it says it holds forty shorties. Thinking for a 3-gun rig with some DIY loads, might be interesting. Maybe patch wads and switch to a different propellant to get the speed up?
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 21:16
Never used the "shorties" but seen them for sale/advertised....made in mexico maybe????
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 08:13
Years ago (64) I loaded some, for training dogs.  We called them poppers.  paper case/paper wad/ wax crimp seal ove creal of wheat.

For lightweight carry witth the dogs, we carried single barrel 12ga....then only a wimp carried a 20ga.

Some company actually made a case length cutter for shotgun shells; I used a dowel and a single edge razor blade.

I don't know what was accomplished by all  that work; just a dumb kids horsing around.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 07:34
Anyone ever used them or loaded them to see whats possible?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic