The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

hot meal in the field hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 22:22
The Walmart here carries Mountain Home meals. They are in the camping section. 

I think Cabelas carries them too. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 22:23
Jo Bawb is the man. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 11:29
three inches of new snow.

Tried a test meal,  simple.

Instant cook rice, added a small can of Armour Vienna Sausages.  After all boiled, I added a small can of crushed pineapple Drained), and some Old Bay seasoning.  Brought that to a quick boil.

Quick/tasty, certainly still looking for some other quick recipes.  But this will taste good on a cold December noon days hunt while sitting on a log.  Might even be a secret bear scent concoction.

Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 11:33
carbs, protein, fruit....everything you need to keep going in the "wild"....don't know what Bay seasoning is....
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 14:17
Fella hit a turkey in front of me and I had some foil.....drumstick on a manifold! Does that count? I was lucky enough to have one of those little butter pat to-go type things in the glove box....may need to add some seasoning to that box.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 17:16
Quick woods meal: Pre make at home
diced raw potato as much as you want & seasoned per your taste
Raw groundbeef burger (my way = diced onions, salt, pepper to taste & mixed well then form burger.)

put diced spuds in tinfoil with burger pattie on top....wrap with 'nuff layers of tin foil to protect from direct flame of your campfire....put on hot coals (best) and turn at some point....eat when you think they are cooked 'nuff for you. Maybe want a spoon or fork for the diced spuds & bring bun for burger if wanted.
ENJOY
PS: MAKE  as many as you think you need for the day....ketchup/mustard optional...napkins/rag to wipe hands.

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 02 April 2018 at 17:18
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 17:20
Prepared, cooked  and frozen hamburger might be goodProbably good for 2+days without ice.  heat and eat.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 20:11
I am bringing up an old subject but have any of you tried  

Bridgford sandwiches? I was just reading an article that said they were really good. They also have a 3 year shelf life.

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 06 October 2018 at 20:12
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 10:39
those sandwiches look good.  just too much salt for me.  I'd need 3 extra bottles of water.

But I will try some.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 21:25
They looked like something you could put in your day pack and have a meal out in the woods. 

Let us know how they are. I might try them too but with the guys I hunt with, we usually eat enough in camp the night before to hold me over until the next night. 

Wing master
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 09:24
They look good to me - like Bear says they might be a bit heavy on the sodium, but there are ways to offset that.

If I come across any, I might pick them up. My youngest son, Roger, is really fascinated with MREs, and might like these, too.
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
MtElkHunter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MtElkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 13:50
I do this pretty often. I don't like the freeze dried stuff. I do a lot of home made stuff that I can reheat quickly. We cook homemade chili, spaghetti, Pasties, scalloped potatoes etc. All of these I can take in a small container and reheat quickly in a single pot. I can also eat right out of the pot so all I need is the container to bring it in, one pot and a spoon or fork. If I don't have a stove I can heat it on an open fire. Light, quick and easy.
SW Montana
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 21:43
Tas,

I'm kinda fascinated with MRE's too. the ones I have had are pretty good. But, their's not much I don't like. 

What are some ways to offset the sodium?

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 23:27
how to offset sodium in processed foods>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sleepyadd lots of waterBig smile
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 09:20
Randy - as the guys said, water will do the trick; drink more water, salt goes away. Another way is to make sure that the other foods you eat for the day have less sodium.

Regarding MREs. you might enjoy this: my son watches the videos produced by this guy, who calls himself Steve1989:

He manages to acquire and try MREs from all over the world, just about any country you can imagine. Now and then, he also tries "historical" MREs, for lack of a better word. Some of them are pretty darn old, and most times fairly edible.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 09:58
"most times fairly edible"  !  out of date+out in garbage can.

Adding water still means it is going thru your body.  But knowing that it is very salty, one can compensate, and only eat occasionally.

A store 2 miles from my house has some...I'll try them next week on remote  rifle hunt, and report back.

Edited by BEAR - 09 October 2018 at 09:59
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 14:40
That's kinda what I thought about drinking water but I thought you guys might have an idea I haven't heard of. 

I watched some of those videos and they are interesting. I'm not so sure I would eat some of the "historical" stuff he ate, but I guess it didn't make him sick. 

I'll stick to the new stuff. 

Wing master
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 15:22
I tend to agree, fellas - I might push an expiration date a little past what's printed, depending on the product - but there are limits! Shocked

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 18:04
I think canned food will still be good for a while past the expiration date.

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 18:33
Depending on the can used, old cans from the 40s, still had lead and tin, newer stuff, is lined and they got rid of the lead 70-80s. I'm still working on fish and fowl, Mom put up last century (98-99), it's in jars and pressured canned, still tastes as good as 20yrs ago. The fruit and vegies, from that period are not in as good shape, jellies are still good though.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic