The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Postal Shoot 2018-Spring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 10:07
I remember a target like you describe, but can't find it.

Ray
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 10:18
How about something like this? 100yds or 200yds?
http://targets.s3.amazonaws.com/PDF/Bullseye2Multi.pdf

One shot each target, center 1/2" is 10, going outwards to 5 points, shot breaking line, gets higher point value, take out center x, for tie breaking purposes. Only five shots on paper, sight in or practice on unofficial copy.

I've shot postal matches on another site, you sent in your $10 and received your five "official" targets, (signed by judge, to prevent photocopies) you entered your best. Your entry had to be on official target, you could buy as many official targets, as you wanted. This prevented someone from entering best target, from 100s they shot, during month.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 10:37
Ray
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 10:40
Robert, I Like your target.

Posted stars before I saw it.
Ray
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 13:44
should the targets have scoring rings?
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 21:58
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

Using target I linked to, printed in landscape mode, at 200yds, X is 1/4 MOA, 10 is 1/2 MOA, 9 is 3/4 MOA, 8 is 1 1/4 MOA, 7 is 1 1/2 MOA, 6 is 1 3/4 MOA

The black bullseye is 10, the innermost center, inside the white line is X, the first ring surrounding bullseye is 9, then 8, then 7, inside outer ring is 6, outside of that, but on paper is 5.

Perfect score would be 50-5X, five shots in the innermost circle or breaking white line of innermost circle.

When shooting for score, bigger caliber, makes it easier to break line and get higher score.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 23:14
I also like Roberts target. I also like Roberts idea of getting targets signed by the judge. That would make it more of a challenge. and might raise more money for the BSB site. 

What would you guys think of the winner getting a prize of some sort instead of all or part of the entry fee? I'm thinking if we could get someone to donate a prize then all of the entry fee could go to BSB and the winner would get something. 

I would be willing to talk to the manager of the local sporting goods store and see if he would be willing to donate something to our cause. 

Just a thought. 

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 10 November 2017 at 23:17
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 02:09
Sorry I missed out on it gentlemen, just been fanatical of late and haven't had time to scratch what needs scratchin. But sweet Mary and Joseph, you sleep with that thing? I surely can't cut a hole with a .22 anymore......gonna blame the gun.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 07:19
So, I see,  you need a new gun.....not a problem.
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:24
Originally posted by RobertMT RobertMT wrote:

The black bullseye is 10, the innermost center, inside the white line is X, the first ring surrounding bullseye is 9, then 8, then 7, inside outer ring is 6, outside of that, but on paper is 5.

Perfect score would be 50-5X
Guys, Consider that target at 100 yards.
Like if some ranges don't offer 200 yards.
Might get more to participate.

Scoring like this would still make it a challenging:

Would have to take out that small white dot in center for Xs
Touch inside white line for 10,
Touch thick black ring for 9,
Touch next outer thin black ring for 8,
Touch next outer thin black ring for 7,
Touch next outer thin black ring for 6,
Touch next outer thin black ring for 5,
Touch next outer thin black ring for 4,

Get what the little boy shot at if
on paper but not touching outer ring of one of the targets.

Could also have some fun with the logo at bottom!?

Ray
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 15:22

Same target size, as before, except with scoring rings.

http://targets.s3.amazonaws.com/PDF/Bullseye1Multi.pdf

.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 16:54
WELL...I like it.

Even has that little emblem at bottom.
Ray
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 17:13
You wanted to do something with NSSF emblem? Optional bonus points, shoot the deer +25 points, hit either hunter -25 points, kind of know your limit target.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 19:09
looks good.  5 targets...5 shots.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 19:39
from RaySendero....."Guys, Consider that target at 100 yards.
Like if some ranges don't offer 200 yards.
Might get more to participate."

This is a good consideration, mainly if some don't have access to more than a 100yd range. 

Suggestion only, how about we make it An Option in addition to the 100yd shoot, if some folks have access to 200yds and want to shoot 200yds.....OK......same entry fee, maybe 3 or more required to make it a contest, HONORARY Bragging Rights only, no cash prize. 
Just thinking out loud.

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 22:03
Here's a suggested draft, please make suggestion and we'll start new clean thread, for shoot.

2017 Winter Postal Shoot

1.   MEMBERS ONLY!  But with new software joining is fast and FREE. 

2.   Honor system, we must trust our fellow shooters and BSB members.

3.  The opening date is 12/01/2017 last date is 1/15/2018  POSTMARK.  Fee is $10 for five official signed targets.

4. Mail SASE to judge along with entry fee in time to receive official targets by start of contest.

5.  Any centerfire firearm, any sight\scope; but must be under 13 1/2 pounds with scope.

6.  100yd target http://targets.s3.amazonaws.com/PDF/Bullseye1Multi.pdf

Target is scored 6 thru X, one shot per target, five shots per target sheet, best possible score 50-5X, Xs are to be used for tie breaking purposes.  Shot that breaks the line, is scored at higher value.

7.  Targets submitted must have legible :  Shooters name,  distance, rifle, cartridge, ammunition\load and bullet used.  Include your address for prize money to be sent!  Anyone can donate their winnings to BSB if they want.

8.  Outdoor 100 yard range. Any shooting position, including bench rest.  If fired from a bench, separate front and/or rear supports are allowed, but rifle must be free recoiling (no gun vises/lead sled, etc).  Front bi-pod is ok if shooter wishes. 

9.  Mailed targets will be opened and scored AFTER the closing date.  A PM on here will get you the address to send your entrance fee and SASE.  Since the highest score will not be known until after close, you can buy and submit more than one official target, as your shooting skills progress.  You can buy as many sets of official targets as you want, but only official signed targets are eligible for entry.

10.  The judge may enter also, as results will not be available to him until the close.

11.  PRIZE.  Target printing costs and expenses, will be taken out of pot,
winner will split the remaining balance with BBS cost fund.

12. WINGMASTER will be the judge (and eligible to participate) if he agrees.

Winners screen name, firearm, and score will be published.  To maximize embarrassment, both the score and screen name, of other entrants will be published.

If you are interested....please list your screen name on this thread so we can contact you should things change.   THANKS

Edited by RobertMT - 15 November 2017 at 14:28

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 03:59
10 1/2 pounds......I think I have a few scopes that weigh close to that without the gun! Rules out my old BR gun as well, the barrel weighs 22 alone.....Might have to go with a 12 gauge or the boys Weatherby or .22....can we make that tons? Just begging to get those 16 inchers flying!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 07:44
In the past we had multiple range and cartridge shoots at the same time.  split the group so some classes only had 2 shooters, and one had merely one shooter; so he won and got 1/2 his entry fee back.

I think it should be only one  range/shoot at a time.  We can expand it later if we get a larger participation.  I'd vote for 100 yards this time;  wind can be bruttial in winter at 200 yds.

Are RF ok?  I'd suggest any centerfire.

DATES:
"12/01/2017 last date is 1/15/2018" is winter for many of the folks. and difficult time for some to get to an outdoor range (and low wind).  Spring would probably get more shooters out!
I like the 6 week window.

just thoughts
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 08:45

In the past we had multiple range and cartridge shoots at the same time.  split the group so some classes only had 2 shooters, and one had merely one shooter; so he won and got 1/2 his entry fee back.

I think it should be only one  range/shoot at a time.  We can expand it later if we get a larger participation.  I'd vote for 100 yards this time;  wind can be bruttial in winter at 200 yds.

Are RF ok?  I'd suggest any centerfire.

DATES:
"<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">12/01/2017 last date is 1/15/2018" is winter for many of the folks. and difficult time for some to get to an outdoor range (and low wind).  Spring would probably get more shooters out!</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I like the 6 week window.</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">just thoughts</span>

I made a few changes, if nobody wants to do winter shoot, we can wait for spring or we can do 100yd now and 200yd in spring.

I didn't really consider, that it may be cold, during winter shoot, here in the Northwest corner of Montana, it's normally quite tropical.

Edited by RobertMT - 15 November 2017 at 08:54

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 09:49
"tropical"  what did you put in your morning orange juice???   I want some!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic