The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Transportation in the Outdoors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

water bug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 20:52
No way near finished or even ready to paint,
BUT
This Saturday is the boys last scheduled day off, for the season.
With a little luck and a long day or two of work...
We are shooting for a "Water test"
We will have his mud boat and a 4wheeler along for an emergency extraction if needed.
If it works we will have some video If not ,

Confused
Ouch
Shocked

well you will never see it...
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 23:00
Here's wishing a good trial water run for the Water Bug!.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 06:19
take a bottle of chanpaign to break over the bow on launching.

can't wait for pics.  good luck.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 18:13
First water test.

Edited by d4570 - 27 July 2018 at 19:07
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 18:27
looks promising!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 21:07
looking good....level and moving and steering too....was that a crash landing?????
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 22:05
That looks great. It looks to me like you're about ready to head out into deep water. 

Congratulations

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 03:56
congratulatiob D.  looking good.

was that full throtle?
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 09:28
Looking good.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 12:44
Well Dang!!!!
I have decided to give the snowmobile belt drive up...
I just don't have the RPM/HP to make it do what I want.
I can't get it to get up to a 1 to 1 ratio at 3000 rpm so I have to run
the bug motor up to closer to 4500rpm to get the prop in to the upper 2000 rpm range. When I do get it up there the belt slips a lot.
I got a shorter belt to see if there was a difference, much better but still not good.
    I got two 32 tooth #50 chain sprockets , same chain I use on the top drive,with 1 3/16th hubs.
They go right on to the parts of the SNB drive that I had made.
With the hubs I can change the ratio if needed with only a sprocket.
with a two stage chain drive I'll have to run idler sprocket on both chains I suppose. I had to put a key way in the shafts, amazing what an angle grinder can do. It is a little les forgiving then a belt as far as alignment. Hope to hit the gas this weekend and see if I can blow some dirt/gravel.

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 12:52
Sure looks good in the very clear/sharp pictures....very impressive solution and maybe more durable too. 

So, now you are an "angle-grinder machinist"...must take a steady hand to cut the key-way that way & get it to be a close fit for the key. Did you do it with shaft mounted or take it off to make the key-way? 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
MtElkHunter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MtElkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 13:59
The clutching on the snowmobile belt will change things a lot. To change the clutching you will need to change the clutch springs and/or the cluch weights. On sleds we have to play with this a lot to get them to run like they are suppose to. The correct setup on the clutch will make all the difference in the world.
SW Montana
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 15:25
1971 Johnson skee horse drive not much for "Performance" parts out there.
No weights in it only a coil spring in the primary and a torque spring on the secondary.
 My max RPM on the bug is around 4000 rpm but I would not want to run it over 3000 all day long. 
I'll miss the clutch to be able to idle the motor with out the prop turning.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 13:54
Going all the way, took out the complete SM drive and going to use a direct shaft to connect the motor to the prop via a shaft with a changeable sprocket to adjust the rpm.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 14:02
looks lots less cluttered anyway....direct drive sounds good....does the blue bearing housing get anchored in anyway????  bolted anyway so can be removed when you need to change the sprocket.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 14:42
Yes it will all be bolted down and changeable
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2018 at 15:12
Trailer so far
Front

Back
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2018 at 18:47
looking good. D
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2018 at 20:21
Not bad so far....wood gunna be waterproofed some way?????
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2018 at 08:23
How is the new transmission/drive coming along????

We know the chief designer took time off for hunting season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic