The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BSB First Stop > Welcome! NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

introductions -

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2004 at 12:43

Triggerguard;

You, Hondo, Texashooter,Timberghozt, & Rockydog.  I'm up here in Montana & seem to have more fingers in front of my eyes than you do.  Howcum?

900F

Edited by CB900F
Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Timberghozt View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka GarryOwen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberghozt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2004 at 15:03

Pardon, I missed this thread so I will try to do a short introduction. I was born in 71 in Virginia .My dad was in the service then and moved around a bit. I was raised hunting and fishing with my dad and grandad further back than I can remember when I started.I graduated in 89 from HighSchool and tried a semester of college.I did not like it much so I enlisted in the Army as a Cavalry Scout.After I finished training at Ft Knox, I went to Ansbach Germany where I was stationed with the 1st Squadron 1st Cavalry Regiment.(My Avatar is the regimental crest). I deployed to SouthWest Asia with the 1st Armored Division in 1990 after Hussein decided to spark a war.After I came back to Germany I was sent to Fort Hood Texas in the 1st Cavalry Division.I left the Army in 1994.I  married my wife in 1992 and I have 3 children, 2 boys and a girl.

I have been a heavy equipment operator since I left the service.I  have been reloading about five years after I got the bug for better accuracy.I hunt at every free moment.Whitetail deer, feral hogs and calling coyotes are my favorite along with dove hunting.I also enjoy fishing for flathead catfish.This is my wifes favorite pic so I will use it(thats my 300Win Mag in it).I hope I didn`t bore you all to death.Nice to meet you all. Gene Monk

Edited by Timberghozt
fish View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2004 at 03:14
nice to meet you, t-ghost.
abiding in Him,
><>
Tatonka View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tatonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2004 at 17:07
I was born a poor black child.  My mother was a chamber maid, and my father was a carny with a penchant for buggery.  I educated myself by reading National Geographic and Good Houskeeping.  I grew my first marajuana plant in my toilet, and spent the next 9 months crapping in a bucket.  I only served 3 months of a 20 year sentence for stealing shopping carts and turning them into lobster traps.  I killed my first deer when I was 12, but it was with a tractor and I haven't been able to hunt them since, not because of the trauma, but because my tractor is permanently stuck in low gear and won't come near to catching deer anymore.  I was raised mormon, but converted to Catholocism at age 25, mainly because I like candles.  My favorite movie star is Pamela Lee, and my favorite movie is "The Life of Bryon".  I don't have a cowboy hat, but I wear spurs almost every night.
pocketnavy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pocketnavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2004 at 14:25
Dang "Mule" . . . I just have to say something to beat you to 400 posts!    Welcome to all the new faces . . . I don't get on here enough anymore to know who is who, but it all looks great.  Great happenings in the world: Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby Magnum appears on the scene to tantalize me, Pocketnavy got all interested in N-Gauge model railroading [spouse too!], Tash wants us all to be nice to each other [hope DFC gets the word  , it is raining in Colorado Springs  , and my 6.6 lb Border Collie now weighs 40 pounds!  Gawd she is a cutey!  Smart as a "whip" . . . . . . Bad happenings? . . . John Kerry . . . Democrats in general . . . and the CIA still can't get Osama bin Doo Doo    . . .  Yawl have a good weekend!

Edited by pocketnavy
Murf View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2004 at 16:16

Just got here. I live in southern Sask. I am a former farm boy that has lived in the city for the last 40 years. I have a BA and a B Ed. I moved to Toronto for a year but found pavement was not to my liking. Moving back to Sask I taught school until taking retirement which was followed with a spell of grain farming and then a short hitch at driving aroured truck. Right now I am deciding if a 4th career is in the future.

My interests include hunting for whitetail, mulies, antelope, elk, moose and game birds as well as fishing. I also do some muzzleloader and black powder cartridge rifle shooting.

Murf
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2004 at 16:38
hi murf, and welcome to BSB! i grew up just south of you in chinook, montana (south of the port of turner/climax). are you around the prince albert area, or is that farther north?
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
Murf View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2004 at 08:30
I am in Regina now but the farm is almost straight south of Moose Jaw and only 40 miles or so north of the border. Pretty close to Plentywood or Scobey. In fact on a few antelope hunts we noticed all the farmers cars had Montana plates....whoops time to head north! One time we had to drive about 10 miles until we saw the concrete border marker. I suppose under todays increased border security we would likely end up being called illegal aliens amoung other things.
Murf
fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2004 at 08:28
welcome, murf.
abiding in Him,
><>
sparky View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2004 at 12:34

Well..i thought I did this one already.  But here goes.  Born in 71, Dad was in the RCMP ( Royal Canadian Mounted Police) as a Forensic Identification officer and Mom was a nurse.  Went to school....graduated in 89.  Worked for a couple years with the Mentally Handicapped then went to college to be an EMT in 93,  was an EMT/Firefighter for 8 years.saw too much....burnt out and changed careers.  Went into Human Resources and Industrial Health and Safety and thats where i was  till November of last year.  At that time I was officially down-sized right out onto my ass.

I married in 96 and the divorce will be finalized this year....But my two biggest joys are my kids.  A daugter who'll be 6 this fall and my son who is 3.  Oh yeah..the ex told me she was leaving a week before i got turfed from my job.

Which, incidentally, is the reason i haven't been around for the last 6 months. BTW thanks for the e-mail Ron.

But I'm gonna go back to school and I'm happier than i have been in a long time and I'm already itching for hunting season.

Later !

Dave
Alberta, Canada
" Theres nary an animal alive tha kin outrun a greased Scotsman "
Groundskeeper Willy
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2004 at 13:43

Sparky;

I'm sorry to hear that you've been visited by 'the dark side'.  I certainly hope the the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the 4:05 comin' at ya. 

Thanks for comin' back & posting again.  We really do try to keep track of friends around here.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
sparky View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2004 at 16:04

Thanks  "Lefty" I missed you guys here and now that things are on track again I'll be posting again.  Everything happens for a reason.  Thats what i was telling myself when I missed a big buck last year anyway. lol

Dave
Alberta, Canada
" Theres nary an animal alive tha kin outrun a greased Scotsman "
Groundskeeper Willy
Birdwatcher View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birdwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2004 at 16:12

Old Farts?  When I was born it was a good year for Chevys and men, and Elvis was King.  My grandfather came over from Ireland to work on the Panama Canal, became a diver in one of those lead boot and steel pot contraptions and suffered a crippling case of the bends. When his first wife died leavbing him with seven kids he married the 35 year-old spinster who ewatched his children (my grandmother) and had another five.

My dad was USMC on Okinawa (uncles on Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima), my mom was bombed out of her house in England during the war and sent to Canada, they met afterwards.

As a kid I grew up in the North of England to witness the Beatles, Carnaby Street, the Stones, the Mersey beat, and the 1966 World Cup (watch "Billy Elliot" or "The Commitments" and that is what is was like).

The family moved to suburban New York in the 70's (like dying and going to Heaven), I was usually off in the woods with the dog, hiking camping and bird watching.  Also got interested in guns.

Graduated from a Forestry School in New York but found that VISITING the woods in one thing, LIVING out there full time is quite another.  Got my heart broke, quit and lived in my car in New Mexico for six months.  One of the better times of my life.

Joined the Peace Corps and spent three years in a remote village in West Africa teaching in a high school and working at a local hospital (fixing stuff and driving Landrovers mostly).  The Peace Corps: "It ain't just a job, its an adventure".

Came back to the States and went for a Masters Degree in Agriculture at a "World Class University" :o) in Texas.  Agriculture was dull, no I mean DUUULLLL. Finished the degree anyway, and got extra hours for certification free by treaching lab classes.  During those years I was living rent-free watching a deer lease (one room cabin, running cold water, no electricity) and so was able to afford motorcycles.  Got heavily into motorcycles.

Moved to San Antonio specifically to chase Mexican girls (tough job, someone's gotta do it :o), married one three years later.  I teach in a lower-end urban school in the trenches on the front lines of education. My wife is a nurse.

Been married for twelve years, step-son is now 18 and in college.  Austere lifestyles don't bother me none and a 14 foot canoe fits on the car roof.  Sleep on the floor by preference, but ain't equalled Charles Goodnight's record of sleeping on the ground outside his whole life.

Prefer guns that are utilitarian and have found that I am NOT a collector, doesn't matter what it is if I ain't shooting it I have no use for it.

Favorite guns:  Smith Mod 60 3" .357,   Savage .22/20 guage Camper's Companion,  Marlin 336 .30-30 w/ straight stock,  Enfield No. 4 .  Curently looking for a .308.

Life flies by quick!!! but then every heartbeat is a gift.

Birdwatcher

"Those without swords can still die upon them."
fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2004 at 03:37
hey there watcher. not bored with the campfire are you? my 16-year-old son was in san antonio in march with our church's youth choir. 120 kids sang a lot of concerts and did maintainance and moving and such at some huge homeless warehouse shelter thing. had a blast. oh yeah, welcome.
abiding in Him,
><>
pocketnavy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pocketnavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2004 at 16:47

Well . . . 63 years is a long time!  I was born in 1940 . . . geez that seems a long time ago.  Was an aviation nut . . . soloed when I was 16.  Was in the CAP then graduated to the Air National Guard . . . worked on B-57s . . . remember those?  Neat aircraft.  After high school, not being able to get the school I wanted, in the Air Force, I entered the U.S. Army . . . training at Sandia Base during the Cold War and then on to Italy for a couple of years.  Frankly, I had it too good . . . it was a choice assignment . . . although scary at times.  Returned to civilian life to attend college.  Decided to go to OCS in the Navy at Newport, Rhode Island.  Spent 5 years in the Navy Reserve and returned to college to get my first Masters degree.  Eventually became a teacher, got married, and all that good stuff.  Taught in New Mexico, Nebraska, and Kansas.  Got the urge to serve our Lord and eventually entered seminary and received another Masters degree in 1992 and entered the ministry.  That was the end of my first marriage [or was it a real marriage?].  Eventually put the ministry aside, temporarily [I have hopes of continuing my call] and went back to college teaching.  Also work as a medical records clerk to make additional money.  Whew!  Hunted all my life until recently.  Bird hunting in Kansas, Nebraska, and Arkansas.  Blackpowder in Arkansas.  Love to fly fish . . . maybe an obsession.  Nuts about black powder hunting, but left that behind when I was divorced.  Member of the NRA [Aren't we all?].  Currently have a Howa .30-06, which, despite constant razing, will knock a flea off the wall at about any range you can see.  Helluva rifle for the money!  Yes, there are better rifles . . . I guess.  What is more important?  Am developing an interest in N-Gauge model railroading.  The spouse likes that too!  Have a wild-ass Border Collie that I dearly love.  Just put in a bid for a Love Bird today.  Geez . . . I must be crazy.  We live in Colorado Springs, but would like to move to a more rural area . . . maybe Big Sky Country?  Who knows?  Wyoming wouldn't be bad either!  Need some space . . . enough for my Border Collie to run wild . . . and maybe a Quarter Horse or two.  Geez . . . what a dreamer!  Ideal rifle?  Weatherby Mark V in .257 Weatherby Magnum.  Ideal fly rod?  Maybe an Orvis . . . but that is not necessary.  Caught a bunch of fish on far cheaper rods.  Latest activities?  Besides teaching and work?  Wife and I joined Bally!  Huff and puff!  On the South Beach diet too!  Lost a couple of inches around the waist!  Don't want to look like a computer geek!  Well . . . that is enough!  Take a breath Pocketnavy . . . oh yeah . . . for those who care . . . the Pocket Navy was a pistol made by Colt!  Had a web site on Civil War blackpowder pistols a few years ago.  Was great fun, but too much to keep track of . . . shut it down.  Well . . . had to tell the Border Collie to stop chewing on the oak gate to the family room.  Better shut-up and honor her wishes.  Oh yeah . . . I am a Republican . . . in spite of being a college teacher . . . vote for Bush and protect our rights as outdoors people.  Seems to make sense.  Yawl have a good evening! 

Edited by pocketnavy
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2004 at 07:12

Howdy, Born 1962, Rochester, MN have moved away several times but always end up back here. I live on a 13 acre hobby farm with my beautiful trophy wife (12yrs younger) and 2yr old daughter and in about 2weeks a baby boy is due. Also have two German short hair pointer/ lab mix dogs, excellent bird hunters. I started flying at age 10 with my dad and haven't stopped since. I've done alot of different jobs from crop duster to airlines but now fly rich and famous people around. Lots of different pro athletes,actors, etc. I even used to fly a certain famous homemaker/stockinsider  that sold alot of stuff through Kmart. The stories I could tell!  I started shooting about the same time I started flying. I consider myself very lucky in that I get paid for doing my hobbies. I got my FFL not long ago. and don't make much money in it but I've been saving my money and should be able to retire from flying in about ten years and concentrate more on the gun business. I love to shoot and do so almost every day I'm home. I reload about 20 different cals. and 12ga. I spend alot of time hunting. Deer and pheasant are my favorite. Used to collect Winchester levers. Now I'm more into shooting than collecting. I've been shooting alot of 8mm Mauser lately. $44 for 940 rounds. I have a 6" metal target that I've been dinging about 9 out of ten times at 250 yds standing free hand. practice pratice practice... 

Edited by deaddog
DanWalker View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2004 at 15:54
Since this aint no time to be basful, I reckon I'll take my turn to bore y'all to death.
I was born in the summer of 1970 to a half breed Crow indian woman and a half breed Seneca man. Spent most of my youth growing up between western New York state and Central Florida. Joined USMC right out of high school. Spent 10 years of my life doing all the insane fun stuff I could find in uniform. Got out at 28 and went to college and got a Biology degree. Moved to Wyoming right after graduation, and couldn't find decent work. Wound up as a feral animal removal technician(paid pig hunter) in California.
Came back to Wyoming after that ran out, and worked for G&F here as a contract employee. Decided that was no way to make a living, so I wound up working as a salesman in a lumber yard. Been there just short of a year now, and really love it. I live in Casper right now, but it sure is getting crowded fast. As far as guns go, I've had more than my share. I'm an unapologizing advocate of Savage rifles. I built my own custom mauser in 35whelen(with a lot of help from a very patient gunsmith) I'm also a die hard fan of the 45 Long Colt. I aint into shotguns much, but really enjoy big bore handguns, (as long as they're 45's). I've dabbled in blackpowder, and archery has been a lifelong love affair of mine. I cast my own bullets, and have been reloading for about 7 years now.
I'm grateful to God for giving me just enough sense to know that I don't know anything.
I got a good Carolina girl that's been stuck with me for over 13 years now, and a daughter who's 12 going on 21.
Well, I reckon that's it about me. (No, the writing style isn't a quaint affectiation. I REALLY do talk like that.)
I'm a city boys worst nightmare. a Redneck with an education.
(Forever a student of the gun....Always learning, always testing.....)
Bojon View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2004 at 17:46

Glad to read about you all.

This is a great site and I enjoy the comraderie and most of the information exchange.

I was told a long time ago...

It doesn't matter how young or old you are...if you  remain teachable.... you will continue to grow...

if you are not teachable you will shrink...no matter what your age might be...

There is hope for us born in 1944 and earlier

Bojon

Freedom is God given and our most precious Right
It seems as though Rifles have become measured as the automobile..."how fast can it go?"...
BIG LOST View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG LOST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2004 at 14:02

HOW-DO BOYZ!,Mausermann set me to this site and I must say that it is about the best I have run upon yet,,like talking to home folks.The name is tomas h. "liberty " valance,,my old man hung the nic on me 'cause the movie was my fav. as a youngster.Born 1,1,'68,in the bed my great great built in the house he built in McQueen Montana,folks died in car wreck at 6,passed around from place to place 'til I lit a shuck one nite and been on my own since just bumin' 'til about ten years ago when mausermann caught me stealing his truck,,I beat the crap out of him for about 3 seconds and that old man took a pick handle and worked up one side and down the other.He was 50 and I was 26 and thought I was hell on big red wheels,,he was short,fat and old,( still is ),he beat me till I couldn't stand,speak or wanted to,broke both my arms,1 hand, some toes,about tore off one of my thumbs,broke my nose and smashed my left foot so bad that I still have trouble with it,,then he took me in nursed me back to health and has been keeping me out of trouble since,,promising to give me another if I strayed.I love the big lonesome and the high lonely,anything to do with guns,good fishing,fine horses good mules, low population densities,homebrew and bar-b-q without sauce,hunting pards that dont whine, and stareing into a dying fire while lying under the stars,or falling asleep in a chair in front of a wood burner,dark hair on a girl with a new fashioned figure or any color hair on an old fashioned figure,,boots that fit,,friends you can count on and a truck that starts every time.

THAT ABOUT COVERS IT

GODS PEACE

"....I LONG TO BE WHERE THERE IS NO LAW FOR THE BRAVE,....AND NO ASYLUMS FOR THE CRAZY.......AND I NEVER TAKE NO FROM A MAN WITHOUT THE AUTHORITY TO SAY YES........BUT I NEVER ASK ANYWAY......
teal325 View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teal325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2004 at 06:38

Hi - I come here by way of Tas. Seems to be a pretty good egg

Myself I am a family man that has had a fascination of firearms and shooting since I got my first 22lr when I was 6. Hope to go to Trinidad for gunsmithing (particular interests are quality walnut and blue rifles and shotguns - Krieghoff, Browning, Kolar ect.)

Pretty much it - hope to learn some and add to the comunity as it were, 

Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic