The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SouthPaws > The Left-Handed Sportsman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Gophers In June

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gophers In June
    Posted: 05 June 2011 at 15:25
I agree with you Wing........wow....lots of fast shooting and many(??)many misses or "near" hits
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 13:48

1350 in a day and a half. thats a lot of shooting. MYGAWDS must have been a little faster this year.

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 09:10
OK!
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 05:15

D;

Got my conservation, and all my non-draw tags too, so that's no problem.  Let me check with the social secretary & figure out a date.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 05:03

I shot 1350 rounds of LR in a day and a half. I don't know if I could afford a few days like that with a .22 center fire? At least I'd be broke with a burnt out barrel and a smile on my face...

DD

Endeavor to persevere.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 04:35
GO- Go Now!!!!
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 03:41

Dang,

Now I want to go prairie dog shooting.

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 03:32
I'd like to see the difference 220 swift Verses the 22/250, and would love to see a 6.5 in action. If you can ever get a Wednesday or Friday off and the weather was nice and there was no mud and the wind stays down. I'll bet we could arrange a match at a local "TOWN" I know of and I've never seen a snake there.There is a little walking involved but not much and you need a MT state use permit or you conservation license.
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 02:53

D;

Yeah, I did used to shoot Prairie dogs in Wyoming.  That's what I got the .220 Swift for.  But, haven't really gotten out for that in Montana.  Several people keep threatening to take me to a good town, but nobody has actually made good it.

Now, besides Mr. Swift, I've got a coupla .223's & the 6mm coyote gun.

You know, oddest thing, when hunting gophers I've never yet run across a rattlesnake.  When we'd go out for dogs in Wyoming, you just kinda expected to have to deal with a snake sooner or later.  Maybe that's why I've never really pushed it for dogs.  I hate snakes.

900F

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 02:40
glad to hear it was only the rear tire on the lawn mower!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 01:47

As much as you like shooting them little gophers you'd love to splatter there BIG cousins Prairie dogs. Do you ever get out and blast any???I mean here, you probably did when you lived in WY. They keep there towns almost grass free and you can shoot them all year long!!

My boy just went to Texas to put down some fires, he'll be gone for 3 weeks at a time.

Edited by d4570
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2011 at 16:25

Fella's;

Today, the sun shone all day long.  Just like it was predicted to also.  Taking a wild chance on said prediction, my friend Tom, called Friday evening & asked if we could go gopher shooting today.  I, of course, said that I thought we could.

We went out about mid-morning to Cascade, but the gates to gopher nirvana were closed!  Whereupon we proceeded to trundle over to the main ranch & asked to shoot the south field that some may remember from MYGAWDS 1.  Permission was granted, so we spent the morning & early afternoon thinning the herd as it were.  You shoulda been there.

Had a late lunch in Cascade & got back to the house about 3:30.  Which gave me enough time to kick back & contemplate the very nice day.  But wait!  There's more.  For three easy payments of $9.95 you not only get the Popiel "Super Gopher Experience"  You get to take a nice 100 mile motorcycle ride with your son, and put new wheels on the lawnmower.  Got back about 7:00PM to supper, mowed the rest of the back lawn (which got interupted by the mower throwing a rear tire, hell it was only 26 years old!), and posted this.

Now for a nightcap and bed.

900F

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic