The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Todays Sportsmens Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 122>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 02:43

Today’s Scripture

"But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere."
(2 Corinthians 2:14, )

Another Victory is on the Way

Are you facing challenges or difficulties today? Maybe something has happened that could easily discourage you and cause you to give up on your dreams. I want to remind you today that where you are is not where you are going to stay. God has a good plan in store for your future. When you stay in step with Him, you’ll walk right into victory.

Scripture tells us that God wants to take us from glory to glory, from victory to victory. Even if you are between victories right now, keep your passion. Keep your enthusiasm. Focus on the fact that God has another level for you—another level of glory, another level of increase, another level of His favor.

Today I encourage you, go out with a smile on your face. Give Him your best. When you thank God for what He has done, you are sowing a seed that He will use in your future. Keep praying, keep believing, keep hoping and stand strong because another victory is coming your way!

A Prayer for Today

"Father God, right now I choose to focus my mind and heart completely on You. I choose to step out of discouragement, step out of complacency, step out of worry and step into Your glory. You alone are worthy, and I thank You for the victory You have in store for my future in Jesus’ name. Amen
Hattie

God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 03:30

WELLING PLACE

"A positive thinker does not refuse to recognize the negative; he refuses to dwell on it. Positive thinking is a form of thought which habitually looks for the best results from the worst conditions."

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence any if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8).

Are you looking and living in the best or worst of times?
Where are your thoughts dwelling?

I pray that your mind is dwelling on what is good and holy?

~Sharing and Caring in Christ, by LeRoy Finto~

Thoughts for Today to Brighten Your Day

Happiness is getting what you want;
Joy is wanting what you get...
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 03:03

Bible Study Verses

Ephesians 6:13-18

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people. (NIV)

Thoughts
This scripture in Ephesians is one of my favorites. It makes me feel as if I'm gearing up for a battle! However, sometimes it's tough to have quiet times with God, isn't it?

Men especially have a difficult time with this because, frankly, reading scripture sometimes seems about as important as shining our shoes!

A hunter will spend months in physical training preparing for a big hunt, weeks at the range, and countless hours pouring over his gear. Looking at these things, we see that the ability to discipline ourselves is there, so why the difficulty with setting aside time to be with God and read His Word? Maybe it's because we don't see our life as a great battle.

(Ruben C)

Action Point
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings (1Peter 5:8-9).

This is our battle, not our pastor's or our more spiritual friends. Don't think others will fight this one for us. God is the Mighty Warrior. Learn of Him. Look what He did for David in I Samuel 17. Then, read what happened to King David when he had his armor off in II Samuel 11:1-5.

God has given us the gear we need, warrior, right there in His Word. Use it as if our life depends on it! Remember; it's not an intellectual thing, it's about connecting with God. If we're not connecting with Him, we're gonna be connecting with something else.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Taking a Bible with us on a hunt or fishing trip is an excellent idea. We can read during our down time or while in a stand. Admittedly, I can also fall asleep pretty quickly under these circumstances, so I like to take other books as well! A book inspired this devotional that I feel is so good and relevant to my spiritual walk that I can't help but recommend it to you. Wild at Heart by John Eldredge will inspire you to dig deeper in the Word, and he is clearly an outdoorsman to boot. On the first page he takes you with him on an elk hunt! Get it and I am certain you will grow from it.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 02:20

Bible Study Verse

I Peter 5:10

And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

(NIV)

Thoughts
Some lures, especially those made to catch fish with sharp teeth, must be made with rugged construction - ball bearing swivels and chomp-proof materials - components that make them indestructible. Even if the toothy critters that swim our waters may not totally destroy them, they can affect the lure's performance and fish-catching abilities, rendering them useless or ineffective.

What qualities are you made of? Do you allow the toothy critters or the trappings of this world take away your effectiveness?

There was a time in my life when I fell victim to such things. Thankfully, God answered the prayers of my wife, and used a friend to introduce me to my Lord and Savior. (Thanks, G.S.) Although I suffered the consequences of my actions, Jesus Christ restored me and made me strong, firm and steadfast.

(Will D)

Action Point
There are people suffering because they are held captive by this world. Pray for them. Ask God to place them in your path; and be ready to explain how a relationship with Jesus Christ can restore them and make them strong.

Large diving lures are expensive. Take time in the off-season to repair them as much as possible. Automotive paints work well and can bring them back to life. Replace the hardware with equal or better than the original components.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 01:04

Bible Study Verse

Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. (NKJV)

Thoughts
The Grand American Coon Hunt in Orangeburg, South Carolina, is a huge event with over 40,000 attendees. I was asked to be the keynote speaker for the event. After leaving the stage, my wife and I decided to look over some of the exhibits. We were looking into a pen of the cutest black and tan coon dog pups that you have ever seen, when one little feller woke up and headed our way. I prayed for strength, because I knew my weakness for puppies.

This little guy was awesome. He looked up and wagged not only his tail, but his whole backside. When I reached down to pick him up, he jumped right into my hands and licked my face. He knew all the right things to do. My wife, Pam, looked at me, shook her head and pointed at a full-grown hound tied to a rail beside the pups. Realizing that he was being noticed, the grown hound leaned his head back and let out a howl that could be heard for miles. I quickly placed the pup back in the pen. Why do pups have to grow up?

It is hard to believe that people were ever cute, innocent babies. The evening news is filled with horrible stories about grown-up babies and the damage that they create. This is the result of the evil nature of sin that is in us all; and this is why we need a Savior. If ever the world needed Jesus, it needs Him now. I know that upbringing and society play a role in learning to act out sin, but the bottom line is that all men have a sin nature and need a Savior. Why do we have to grow up?

(Joey H)

Action Point

A pup left unattended and untrained will be a problem. The same is true with humans. It is so important that a child be loved and trained in the ways of the Lord. This world is a difficult place and each child needs someone to walk with them. Take time today to spend a moment with a child and share your faith. You know, they are growing up right before our eyes.

If you are raising a litter of gun dogs, condition them to not be gun shy. When you feed them, bang the pans and be loud around them. If your location allows, fire a blank pistol as you approach the kennel and then pet them heavily.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 02:03

Bible Study Verse

Romans 3:23

For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard. (NLT)

Thoughts
Boom!
Click, Click, Click, Click. Reload, Boom!
Click, Click.
Reload, Boom!
Click, Click.

I have been sighting in my new muzzleloader this week. These actions have been repeated several times as I try to get things in line. Things don't fly perfectly.

When I first started this process, I was at 50 yds and couldn't hit the side of a 24 in square box. My scope wasn't seated well. Then, I had to restart the process over again. Finally, I brought the gun to zero, with good groups; but it took some time.

(Dennis W)

Action Point
I also miss God's Mark. My life is one of being a sinner. "For everyone has sinned. . . "
I need Him to straighten up my sights and keep after me until I shoot straight. I still may mess up, but the next verse is really the most important:

"Yet God freely and graciously declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins," Romans 3:24 (NLT).

He can make me shoot straight - to cause me to hit His Mark, His Righteousness. Bcause through His righteousness, He makes me righteous.

Go out and have fun shooting, reloading, checking stands and even spotting game. It's summertime, the hunting is slow; but it's a great time to spend teaching a young one how to shoot.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 00:15

Bible Study Verses

Job 12:7-9

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? (NIV)

Thoughts
It is amazing that even the animals know that the Lord is real and at work. Think about all we know that Job experienced, the struggles he faced. He was a man who watched the behavior of the animals and birds, heard their sounds, and maybe caught a fish or two over his lifetime. He experienced the outdoors up close and personal. It was an agricultural world everywhere he looked.

What a great reminder of the hand of the Lord, not only in animals, fish, and the Earth, but in your life and mine!

(Glen D)

Action Point
Step out into your backyard or local park and reflect on the hand of the Lord in your life, all that He has done for you, and the great love He has for us. He gave His only Son as a ransom for our salvation to secure eternity in Heaven. How great is our God!

Having a sharp knife in my field bag is imperative for me. To be ready for the next trip out, take time today to give your knife a good sharpening.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 04:25

Bible Study Verses

Matthew 26:39, 42, 44

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."

So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing. (NIV)

Thoughts
After reading this passage of scripture all my life, it occurred to me recently that Jesus had a choice. Just as God gave Adam and Eve a choice in the Garden of Eden, God gave Jesus a choice in Gethsemane.

Jesus did not have to go through the horrific death He was facing. You see, Jesus was not only fully man, He was also fully God. Sometimes we may overlook that He not only did not want to go through the crucifixion physically, but also spiritually. But still, Jesus set the greatest example of obedience to the Father that we could ever have. Jesus chose to obey; He chose to love, and He chose to die so that we might have life.

When I think about what He chose to do for us, it gives me a renewed desire to be as obedient to the Father as Jesus was. I shudder to think of the consequences if Jesus had chosen disobedience.

(Cliff S)

Action Point
We learned as youngsters that obedience to our earthly parents had rewards, as were there consequences for disobedience. God has promised blessings to those who choose to be obedient to Him. Remember Samuel's words to King Saul, "To obey is better than sacrifice," I Samuel 15:22b (NIV)..

Game laws are established for many reasons. A few are safety, conservation, and preservation of game species. It's better to obey the laws and add to the pleasure of your hunt rather than to have to suffer the consequences of disobedience.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 01:56

Bible Study Verse
I John 1:7

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. (NIV)

Thoughts

After a long enjoyable day deer hunting, my son and I were sitting around the perfect campfire he had built. We had been there for awhile just enjoying life when one of the logs rolled out and away from the fire. We were both too comfortable to move so we just let it lay there and watched it slowly burn its self out. After a while my son finally got up and kicked the log back into the fire. Within seconds, that log was a blaze of fire again.

The next morning resting under a tree, I started thinking about that log in the fire. God mentions several times the importance of being among fellow believers and staying in fellowship with other christians. There is power and strength in numbers. I know for me, it is easier to stay on fire for God when I am around other Christians. But when I have been away for awhile, it is difficult to keep that fire burning as hot and as bright as I should. The devil knows how to poke you in hopes that you will become separated from God.
(Dave W)

Action Point

Don't wait for something to happen that kicks you back to God. If you have been out of church for awhile or away from your Bible studies, don't wait any longer. Become focused on Him. You will be surprised how much better you will feel and how fast that spark will turn back into a blaze.

When preparing an area for a fire ring, make sure to clear a space beyond your ring so that when sparks fly and that log roles out, there is no danger of that perfect fire getting out of control.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 01:46

Today’s Scripture

"In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps."
(Proverbs 16:9, NIV)

Stay in Sync

Have you ever tried something and got the results you wanted and then tried the same thing again and got different results? This happened to Moses in the Bible. They needed water, and God told Moses to strike the rock. He struck the rock, and water flowed out freely. Another time they needed water again, and God told Moses, “Speak to the rock.” Do you know what Moses did? He went over and struck the rock. He thought, “Hey, it worked last time. It’ll work this time.” But it didn’t. He suffered severe consequences for his actions. God had a different plan.

The point is that we have to stay open and make adjustments to stay in tune with God’s plan. You can do the same thing the same way you did last time and get different results. It may not be something major, but like Moses, maybe it’s just something small. Sometimes a small tweak, a small adjustment can make a major difference in the outcome.

Today, make sure you aren’t doing things just because it’s the way you always did it before. Instead, listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit of God inside. Follow His leading and stay in sync with the wonderful plan He has for you!

A Prayer for Today

"Heavenly Father, I submit my mind, will and heart to You. Help me to see clearly what Your plan is for me. Help me to stay close to You always, not living in the past, but pressing forward to the new things You have in store for me in Jesus’ name. Amen
Hattie

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 03:07
Bible Study Verses

Psalm 1:1-3

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on His law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither - whatever they do prospers. (NIV)

Thoughts

As a hunter, I want to be associated with other sportsmen who will be law abiding and give wise counsel in all situations. Likewise, I want to grow in my Christian life and my walk with Jesus.

God's plan for growth is to avoid the counsel of foolish individuals and to listen to wise counsel. Wise counsel is best found in His word. His instructions are to meditate on it day and night. In other words, where I go, so should God's words - in my thoughts and in my actions.

There are also two promises here, rewards for our obedience: stability and prosperity. But, there is action required on our part - meditate on the Word. Another observation about this passage: David chose to address negative counsel first. Now, considering today's worry about self-esteem, it would seem that he would have addressed the positive first. I think that the writer may be indicating that it is always easy to find someone who will give us free advice and counsel, and it's usually worth just what we pay for it. However, if we desire to grow in God and gain wisdom in our walk with Him, we must be in His Word.

(Cliff S)

Action Point

If you want to grow in your faith and in your walk with God, you must spend time in the Bible. Read, study, and meditate on God's Word daily.

If you want to be a good marksman, you must practice. Get out to the range often and burn up a box of cartridges. Practice will help you when the time comes for that shot of a lifetime.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 01:40

Bible Study Verse

Romans 3:23

For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard. (NLT)

Thoughts
Boom!
Click, Click, Click, Click. Reload, Boom!
Click, Click.
Reload, Boom!
Click, Click.

I have been sighting in my new muzzleloader this week. These actions have been repeated several times as I try to get things in line. Things don't fly perfectly.

When I first started this process, I was at 50 yds and couldn't hit the side of a 24 in square box. My scope wasn't seated well. Then, I had to restart the process over again. Finally, I brought the gun to zero, with good groups; but it took some time.

(Dennis W)

Action Point
I also miss God's Mark. My life is one of being a sinner. "For everyone has sinned. . . "
I need Him to straighten up my sights and keep after me until I shoot straight. I still may mess up, but the next verse is really the most important:

"Yet God freely and graciously declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins," Romans 3:24 (NLT).

He can make me shoot straight - to cause me to hit His Mark, His Righteousness. Bcause through His righteousness, He makes me righteous.

Go out and have fun shooting, reloading, checking stands and even spotting game. It's summertime, the hunting is slow; but it's a great time to spend teaching a young one how to shoot.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 02:07

Bible Study Verse

II Corinthians 5:17-20

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God. (NKJV)

Thoughts

Years ago over lunch, Cap'n Mike expressed to me that he was envious that God had put me into ministry, but not him. Very quickly I straightened him out on that one! Man, you have co-pilots in the cockpit beside you, flight attendants in the cabin behind you, and dozens of passengers and folks in far-away cities and countries, none of whom I'll ever see. You are Christ's ambassador to them. I have my people to minister to, and you have yours.

Well, he packed his flight bag with some of my hunting, fishing and ladies' tracts, plus camo and ladies' Gospels of John, and soon began his ambassador work!

Years later, he has presented the word of reconciliation to 100's around the US and around the world [even some Muslims!]. He is Christ's ambassador, disguised as a pilot! At home, he is an active Gideon and Board Member of my mission board.

As you can see pictured above, he also actively ministers with me at sportsmen's dinners, representing SD and distributing camo Gospels.

When we're ministering together, or when he tells me about a God-sighting from one of his flights, I smile and ask, Hey, didn't you used to fly airplanes for a living?

Action Point

Paul tells us that every believer has been given a ministry by Jesus. It's the same, whether you preach like me, or fly a Gulf Stream jet like my friend Cap'n Mike does [pictured above]. We are both ambassadors for Christ. With other believers and unbelievers, we both have a ministry of reconciliation, carried out by sharing with them the word of reconciliation. Same job - different work uniform, different work-site, and different people.

There's no pecking order with God. He is no respecter of persons. None of us are any more nor any less important than any other brother, in God's work.

When you hunt, fish or hike, load your pockets with more than ammo and snacks. God's Great Outdoors has great camo Gospels of John. Christian Bowhunters of America carries wonderful hunting and fishing tracts. Stock up. Remember, we are Outdoor Ambassadors.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 01:21
Bible Study Verse

Galatians 5:5

For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. (NIV)

Thoughts
The area I live in contains 5 of the largest inland lakes in the state of Michigan. As winter cranks up, there's often a bit of a lull between gun season for deer and when the outdoorsmen can start to ice fish on these lakes.

The temperature see-saws back and forth around the freezing mark, and one day, you look up and see that there's a sheet of ice across the lake. Every year, we know that the lakes will freeze over. But the first time you look up and across the lake with ice completely covering it, it catches you by surprise.

On the really cold days during this time, you'll hear guys talk about "making ice." It's a bit of a strange idea, but the cold is taking the existing water that's been there all along and transforming it into something else - ice. It's simply cold, and it doesn't really seem like much is going on. However, below the surface of the water, the temperature is dropping and changing the form of the water into something else, and then one day, the evidence of the change is visible.

Action Point
I don't know about you, but I have found that there are seasons in my life where I can see God visibly at work in others' and my lives. There are also seasons where I really don't see a lot of growth. These seasons can be frustrating, because they don't bring the same level of enthusiasm and they cause you to question things while you wait.

What I've come to realize is that God still does work in these "dead" times; in reality, some of the most significant work in my life came during these seasons. I would simply encourage you to press on in the faith if you find yourself in one of these times where things seem to be at a standstill.

Just like the cold really doesn't appear to be doing anything, maybe God is just "making ice" with you right now. One day, you'll look up and be able to understand what has been going on. Until then, stay faithful.

Sportsmens Tip of the Day
Depending on how cold it is where you live, a good "power" auger is worth its weight in gold. A hand crank or chipper is fine, but if you have to go through much ice at all, investing in a power auger and maybe even buying the extensions to go with it will be a huge time saver for ice fishing in the winter.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 01:48

Bible Study Verse

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (NKJV)

Thoughts
It took a few hunts before Junior, my Arizona-raised GSP, got himself oriented to Midwest quail. But, not without some necessary changes on his part.

Initially, he just really didn't want to point birds in the corn stalks and briar patches ... so he kept looking for the mesquite and cat-claw.

I could almost hear him rationalizing, "There should be birds there . . . there always had been before." But no matter how much he looked nor how much he ran around all he found was more corn stalks and briar patches. One day he pointed . . . and now there are birds in every field, just in different places than he wanted or expected them to be.

(Jay C)

Action Point
We tend to get stuck into very similar patterns and ruts as well. We look for mesquite when we are standing in corn. Looking in the same, familiar places for that which we seek . . . answers, assurance, security, happiness, purpose, and significance.

Sometimes the Lord needs to get us out of our comfort zones, to learn new principles or truths. and to be honest with ourselves so we can reach out to others.
•Sometimes this isn't a lot of fun at first.
•Sometimes it takes a lot of humility.
•Sometimes it can be especially painful and unpleasant.

But we are afforded the promised assurance of blessings from our Father when we place ourselves in positions to be stretched, challenged and grown for His glory.

Our bird dogs get thirsty in cold weather just as in hot. Likewise, they'll hunt and become overly cold just like they'll get over heated. Remember to be mindful of your "hunting partner." Sometimes the excitement in the field today needs to be tempered with the excitement of future hunts together.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 03:13

Bible Study Verses

Hosea 4:2-3

By swearing and lying, killing and stealing and committing adultery, they break all restraint,

With bloodshed upon bloodshed. Therefore the land will mourn; and everyone who dwells there will waste away with the beasts of the field and the birds of the air; even the fish of the sea will be taken away. (NKJV)

Thoughts
What's wrong with crime? This is a simple question with many answers. And, what about sin? In today's world, crime and sin can be two different things. Sin, such as killing and stealing are obviously crimes. Swearing and committing adultery, while not necessarily crimes, are certainly sinful.

So the better question might be, "What's wrong with sin?" According to the Bible, sin not only destroys individuals but it destroys the natural world around us. I'm reminded of Jesus' comment in Luke 16:10, "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much" (NKJV). If I am faithful in the things that pertain to me, such as guarding myself from sinful living, then I will be a better steward of the larger things that pertain to the good of mankind, like the natural world that touches me every day. This faithfulness includes following wildlife laws.

The only way we can be faithful to the life Jesus is asking us to live is to confess our sin to Him, receive His forgiveness, and profess that JESUS IS LORD. Every faithful steward takes this step. It's what makes one a Christian.

(Don H)

Action Point
For the Christian outdoorsman, stewardship of our natural resources should be one of many natural expressions of his or her Christian walk.

List the areas in which you are actively practicing conservation. What will you do to make your activity more effective?

Recycle your outdoor magazines by giving them to children, senior adults, and soldiers; or give them away at outdoor events sponsored by your church.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 01:08

Study Verse

John 17:4

I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. (NIV)

Thoughts
Jesus spoke these words to the Father just prior to His death. I think we can apply them in many ways:
•To our employer - "Yes sir, I completed the task you gave me."
•"Yes Dad, I cleaned the garage."
•"Yes dear, I did the entire list of honey-do's you made for me."
•To our Heavenly Father - "Yes, Father, I brought you glory by letting you live in and through me and by being the person you asked me to be, and I completed those things that you set out for me to do."

(Cliff S)

Action Point
Search your heart and determine what God is asking you to do. Seek His will and His guidance and ask Him what task(s) He wants you to perform to bring Him glory while you're here in this life. Then, go do them, completely!

Set an example for those around you by following the game laws. It's one of the ways we can be good influences on our friends and family members, and it pleases God by showing our fellow sportsmen that when submitting to the law of the land, we are also submitting to God.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 01:38

Bible Study Verses

Psalms 17:4-5

Though people tried to bribe me, I have kept myself from the ways of the violent   through what your lips have commanded. My steps have held to your paths;   my feet have not stumbled. (NIV)

Thoughts

Have you ever seen a mountain goat jump from rock to rock, or climb straight up the side of a mountain? They do it with very little effort. If we tried that same climb, we would need ropes, bolts, anchors, and safety equipment.

God has given mountain goats their own specialized equipment. Their hooves have a hard outer shell with a rubbery concave foot pad that acts like a suction cup when they put weight on it. Not even the most expensive pair of vibrum-soled hunting boots can compare to the foot of a mountain goat.

(Ron T)

Action Point

When out hunting or hiking in the woods, it's possible to come across many trails and paths. Some paths will get you home and some won't. It's important to know what's what out there.

King David warned us about the path of the wicked (Proverbs 4:14). God has a better path and He will teach us His ways (Micah 4:2). If we follow God's path, we can be like the mountain goat and have no fear of slipping or falling.

Comfortable, supportive footwear is one of the most important aspects of a successful hunt. The hunt can end in a hurry if you get blisters or your boots do not fit correctly. When you shop for a new pair of boots, make sure they are a good fit and designed for the terrain you will be hunting.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 02:30

Bible Study Verses

Colossians 3:22-24

Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. (NASB)

Thoughts
I finally got drawn for a trophy mule deer unit in Northern Arizona. My buddies and I labored long and hard deciding exactly where to go.

I bought a new scope, carefully cleaned and sighted in my rifle, tried various manufacturers' ammunition to see which performed best in my rifle; and then, of course, carefully recleaned my rifle. I bought a new pair of binoculars too!

We shopped for all the provisions we would need. One of my buddies spent two weeks pre-scouting the area for us.

We took the whole season off so that we could devote the entire time to finding the big buck.

One of our friends is a guide for the area, and he took us out on mule back. We hunted every nook and cranny, looking for our trophy.

I think you could safely say, we put one-hundred-percent effort into this hunt. But, we never found our trophy buck. I believe that one of the reasons that we didn't find it is that the buck was putting 100 percent of its effort into eluding us!

(Dave H)

Action Point
One of the best pieces of advice ever given me is that marriage is not a fifty-fifty proposition. That one thought revolutionized my thinking! Up till then. I thought it was 50/50. All I wanted out of my marriage was for my wife to do her half!

Who ever heard of going half-way on anything else we really want in life? I sure did not go 50-/50 on that trophy hunt! Think about this folks - there are times that, even when you and your spouse are both putting in 100 percent, you can hardly make it. Marriage is tough!

What if one or the other of you only puts in 50 percent? No, it just doesn't work that way. That is a recipe for disaster. Put in your 100 percent and then see what happens.

I have been married to the same woman for 35 years. Unfortunately, I was probably 20 years into the marriage before I was given this revelation about each spouse giving 100 percent. No wonder those first 20 years were so hard. I kept waiting for her to do her 50 percent. It's just a good thing she was already putting in 100 percent, or we would not have made it!

We love the outdoors, especially the wilderness. We would spend all of our waking hours there if we could. We would spend every weekend hunting or fishing. But is that what our spouse wants? How about going to a marriage seminar on one of those weekends? That is where I learned the principle of each giving 100 percent. It was worth it many times over.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 02:13

Bible Study Verses
Romans 8:19-22

For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, In hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. (NIV)

Thoughts
Like many outdoorsmen, I find myself longing for opportunities to spend time in God's great outdoors. At this point, I probably have too many outdoor hobbies for my own good:
•A fishing trip to Canada sounds great.
•Bow hunting for white tail, an adventure.
•A backpacking trip, refreshing.
•Turkey hunting in the Spring is a ball.

Each of these gives me a sense of freedom. When participating in any one of these passions, my heart comes alive.

I've often viewed these "creation escapes" as my way of getting back to the way things were intended to be - as they were in the Garden of Eden, pure perfection. However, God recently revealed this scripture passage to me. Now, I realize that leaving my imperfect daily world to escape to the perfect outdoors is actually a fallacy.

When Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, not only was sin brought into the world, affecting mankind; but a curse was also placed upon the land, actually preventing it from being fully pure and perfect. I don't know how you look at it, but if God's amazing creation, as it stands, is not perfection, I stand in awe just trying to imagine how great God and His pure creation must be in heaven!

(Dave M)

Action Point
We need to make sure we are careful to worship the Creator of the creation rather than the "creation escapes," themselves.

Before heading out to the wild on your "creation escape", make sure to have your backpack prepared for the unexpected (snake bite kit, poison ivy or poison oak supplies...). You never know what you're going to run into!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 122>
  Share Topic