The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Todays Sportsmens Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 08:58
Bible Study Verses
Acts 20:34-35

You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions.  In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "  (NIV)

Thoughts
Last November my oldest daughter Rechelle and I embarked on a muzzleloader bull elk hunt. After years of waiting, we finally drew a bull hunt together in a very promising unit in Arizona. Although she had been on two previous cow elk hunts, this was her first bull hunt and I was really looking forward to helping her fill her first elk tag.

When opening day neared, we headed north from the desert and set up camp in Arizona's Rim country. After a long opening day, evening found us sitting in a beautiful cold valley that had a number of trails leading to a well used dirt stock tank. Right about sundown three nice bulls made their way toward us. Although I was able to successfully harvest one of those bulls, we hunted another 6 days, but we didn't fill her tag. 

(Ruben C)

Action Point
On the drive home after the hunt I was feeling somewhat guilty that I had killed an elk but she hadn't when she said, "Dad, I'm really glad you got to kill an elk." "What?" I replied in disbelief. She continued, "I know you've had a tough year and you were really looking forward to this hunt. You deserved to kill an elk." I was in shock and frankly at a loss for words. I could barely speak when I said, "Thanks Rechelle, you have a very sacrificial heart."

When Jesus came, He came to serve. Sometimes we don't know or recognize in what form the gift comes. Although she didn't "give" me my bull, she gave me a gift much more precious, a hunt with her I will never forget. We had hours and days in the woods together with our Creator that is more precious than gold. Thank your God Yahweh men for the small blessings in life. They all mean something

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Never hesitate to take your daughters and wives hunting. Remember, they are a treasure and can surprise you to how tough they can be! Always make sure your female hunting partners have the best footwear for the hunt. Footwear and good socks are often over looked and can be their weakest link: 

• Boots too loose or too tight = blisters. 
  • Socks too thin or too thick (overheated feet) = blisters!
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 23:02
That reminds me of my daughter Tiffani's first elk. We had cow tags but we hunted hard and she harvested her first elk. I was worried about her the whole time. we hiked up and down steep hills and it was a pretty tough hunt. We took our time  and I remember it just like it was yesterday. She still talks about that hunt. 

6 months later she gave birth to my first grandson. 

For a 3 month pregnant girl, she was right there the whole time. 

I'll never forget that day. 

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 06:39
That's great memory for sure Wing ,I remember my son's first hunt's to .
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 06:41
Today's Photograph.... Beautiful Forest

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 46:10a
Be still, and know that I am God; (NKJV)

Thoughts
I was sitting quietly in my tree stand as the light rain began to fall. The gentle tapping on the leaves was relaxing. The fact that I had already taken a nice 10 point the previous day added to the relaxation that I was enjoying. I sat there just talking to God quietly, watching deer, and listening to the gentle rain for the entire afternoon. As dark began to fall I mumbled softly to myself, "Why can't this relaxed feeling continue on and on? Why do I feel so much closer to God out here in the woods?" (Brian H.)

Action Point
The answer to my question is this: I feel closer to God out in the woods because I'm being still and quiet. That's it! When I'm at home or at work, I have the television blaring or the radio on or people chatting nearby. The fact is that we have made our world very complicated and noisy. Only when we get out by ourselves, get quiet, and become still are we able to just sit and know that He is God.

Try scheduling some time to yourself whether it's out hunting or just sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee. Get rid of the distractions for a little while. Take some time to be still and remember that our God, He is truly God.

Here's a twist on deer steaks. Roll a small chunk of cheddar cheese and a jalapeno slice inside a butterfly cut steak and toothpick together with bacon wrapped around the outside. Cook slowly on the charcoal pit until the bacon is done. Delicious!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 06:44
Bible Study Verse
James 5:16
Confess your trespasses  to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. (NKJV)

Thoughts
This is a difficult thing for us all to do. It's bad enough we have to face our sins to ourselves, but to confess to friends that is real difficult. We can truly appreciate when we find friends who are fishing buddies or hunting buddies. 

These friendships can develop to a level where friends can share their sins with each other. We should all have friends whom we can confess our sins to. I know I'm glad for the blessing of friends I have. Thank you, Lord. 
(Mike E)

Action Point
Evaluate your friendships and see if you have a friend that you can really open yourself up to.

If you practice catch and release, carry a small pair of needle nose pliers with you and pinch the barb on the hook down. This will make releasing fish much easier.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 06:45
Bible Study Verses
Proverbs 16:9 
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. (NIV)

Psalms 37:23 
Stalwart walks in step with Godhis path blazed by God, he's happy. (MSG)

Thoughts
While crossing Skull Mesa with our half Native American guide, Wayne, the trail would totally disappear for some distance. Even with the forest service map and GPS, we'd have to circle out ahead numerous times to pick up the resemblance of a trail to continue. We planned to cross over and be in Cave Creek before dark. But, these detours were crowding our time. With all the modern technology available to us, I was following the Indian home.
(Wes W)

Action Point
Often times in life we just seem to lose our way. We try to make wise decisions, plan ahead, and use modern technology, but life just becomes uncertain. When life becomes uncertain? God is my GPS:
  • G. - God
  • P. - Points
  • S. - Specifically
God directs my paths and my decisions.

Hunting, fishing, and camping are uncertain. In WY there are enough streams & lakes that I don't worry too much about extra water. But, in AZ I've learned to take extra water, sun screen, and even sun glasses. We do get wiser with age and pay attention to the unforgiving elements of creation. 
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 06:10
Bible Study Verses
Zechariah 7:9-10 
"Thus says the Lord of hosts:
'Execute true justice,
Show mercy and compassion
Everyone to his brother.
Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless,
The alien or the poor.
Let none of you plan evil in his heart
Against his brother.' (NKJV)

Thoughts
The "Code of the West" was unwritten laws by which every cowboy and frontiersman lived. According to this code, there were just certain things you would not do; such as, spit in the presence of a lady or try on another man's hat. There were also matters of honor that when practiced revealed the depth of his character and integrity:
  • Be courageous.
  • Be hospitable.
  • Be loyal.
  • Be considerate.
  • Be honest. This rule governed all others. The cowboy spoke the truth and his word was his bond.
In action and in word, he lived by the Golden Rule, even though he may not have ever read the Bible. Thankfully, the Bible influenced the contents of the code. 
(Don H)

Action Point
Of all the books that traveled west with the pioneers, the two most important were the Bible and a hymnal. The Bible is replete with words that are the basis for the Code of the West, a gentleman's code, or other such codes, creeds, and commandments. These words from Zechariah 7 could easily be included in the lists of guidelines and are requisites for any intentional Christian living.

Bandanas are extraordinarily practical. Cowboys use them as dust masks, potholders, first aid wraps, and numerous other things. Try tucking a bandana under the back of your cap, letting it cover your ears and neck. It will serve as a sunshade and the constant movement of the material will shoo away biting bugs.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 09:25
Bible Study Verse
I John 1:1 
What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes,
what we have observed and have touched with our hands, concerning the Word  of life. (HCSB)

Thoughts
One of my favorite parts of teaching hunter education classes was listening to the students' experiences from past hunts. I have picked up many things about wildlife behavior from the observations of other hunters. 

One of the things I learned from listening to a veteran hunter was that mule deer are very curious by nature. He explained that if a mule deer sees you but does not smell you, it will most likely try to figure out what you are. 

On my oldest son's first mule deer hunt, we were busted by several does. The wind was right, so the deer didn't spook. Taking the knowledge that I had learned from the observations of the veteran hunter, I told my son that he should get ready for a shot. 

Because the deer hadn't winded us, they moved to our right and stopped to get a better view of us. My son was prepared for the shot and was successful in taking his first deer. 
(Ernie W)

Action Point
I sometimes forget that the Bible was written by men who, in many cases, actually walked with Jesus. The Bible is not fiction. When I studied this verse I was reminded of the fact that the disciples had heard, seen, observed and touched many of the things that they wrote about. Take full confidence in the Bible.

When getting advice about outdoor activities, it is always better to speak to someone who has first-hand knowledge.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 07:21
Psalm 1:1-3
Blessed is the one who does not walk  in step with the wicked or stand in the way  that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lordand who meditates on His law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,  which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither - whatever they do prospers. (NIV)

As a hunter, I want to be associated with other sportsmen who will be law abiding and give wise counsel in all situations. Likewise, I want to grow in my Christian life and my walk with Jesus. 

God's plan for growth is to avoid the counsel of foolish individuals and to listen to wise counsel. Wise counsel is best found in His word. His instructions are to meditate on it day and night. In other words, where I go, so should God's words - in my thoughts and in my actions. 

There are also two promises here, rewards for our obedience: stability and prosperity. But, there is action required on our part - meditate on the Word. Another observation about this passage: David chose to address negative counsel first. Now, considering today's worry about self-esteem, it would seem that he would have addressed the positive first. I think that the writer may be indicating that it is always easy to find someone who will give us free advice and counsel, and it's usually worth just what we pay for it. However, if we desire to grow in God and gain wisdom in our walk with Him, we must be in His Word. 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
If you want to grow in your faith and in your walk with God, you must spend time in the Bible. Read, study, and meditate on God's Word daily.

If you want to be a good marksman, you must practice. Get out to the range often and burn up a box of cartridges. Practice will help you when the time comes for that shot of a lifetime.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 06:11
Bible Study Verses
Ephesians 5:15-16 
Therefore  be careful how you  walk, not  as unwise men but as wise,    making the most of your time, because the days are evil. (NASB)

See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise. Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.  (KJV)

Thoughts
Anyone who has hunted for very long has come to understand the importance and value of the walk. To be a consistently successful hunter, one must walk well. Paying attention to changes in wind direction, looking for good cover to prevent long periods of exposure, and careful foot placement with each step are priorities. 

When the walk becomes a stalk, paying attention to these priorities is usually the difference between success and failure. I have bagged several animals because others walked carelessly and I capitalized on their errors. 
(Randy E)

Action Point
The Holy Spirit gives us the reason for walking as "wise" men and women of God, "So that you will  prove yourselves to be  blameless and innocent,  children of God above reproach in the midst of a  crooked and perverse generation, among whom you   appear as  lights in the world,  holding  fast the word of life, so that in  the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not  run in vain nor  toil in vain,"  Philippians 2:15-16 (NASB). 

So, how are you walking?

When purchasing a new pair of hunting boots or shoes, look for something with a medium soft sole. These soles grip better than hard soles and make a lot less noise, especially in cold weather. After you get your new shoes, show others how to walk in them!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 06:55

Bible Study Verse
Luke 6:40
A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher. (NIV)

Thoughts
Those of us with kids always wonder what they'll be like when they grow up. Actually, it is hard, sometimes, to even think of them as adults. But, it happens--they do grow up, quickly! As they grow physically, mentally, and spiritually, it's up to us as their parents to get them started right, to be their teachers. Think about it. What they learn from us, their parents, is the most important part of what they become. How do they learn? Mostly by watching. My Dad used to say, "Don't tell me, show me." How true that statement is. Yes, I hope my son learns hunting, shooting, and camping from me, and that he acquires a life-long love for outdoor activities. That's a legacy that I want to pass on to him, and he to his kids someday.

But, those things are nothing compared to what he really needs to learn from me and see in me. Things like faith, forgiveness, tithing, dependability, Bible study, how to treat a wife and his kids right, and how to disciple others so that they will also grow in our Lord.

So, as he grows up, will my son be like his teacher? Yes, he will. He will be whatever I've taught him to be; but more than that, he will be whatever I've shown him that I am. In the final analysis, I pray that I'm found to be a worthy teacher. Makes me stop and think. I hope it does you, too. (Cliff S)

Action Point
Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it, (NIV)." Take time to train your children, maybe even the kids next door. Teach them how to hunt, fish, and camp safely. Especially teach them about the Lord, all that He's done for us, and all that He is going to do for us in the future .

Teach your kids gun safety and ethical hunting by example. Remember, they'll hear your words, but they'll do what they see you do.

Edited by Tikkabuck - 22 March 2018 at 07:09
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 09:22
  Sorry I didn't get this posted yesterday.

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 21:4-5

All  this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying:  "Tell the daughter of Zion, 'Behold, your King is coming to you, Lowly, and sitting on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey.'" 

Matthew 21:8-9

And a very great multitude spread their clothes on the road; others cut down branches from the trees and spread them on the road.  Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying:  "Hosanna to the Son of David! 'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!' Hosanna in the highest!" (NKJV)

Thoughts

Today is what I call "Daniel 9 Sunday," and here's why. Almost 500 years before, Gabriel had delivered God's promise to Daniel to record, "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the command to restore and build Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks;  the street  shall be built again, and the wall, Even in troublesome times," Daniel 9:25 (NKJV).  

That's 483 years. On the day in March 445 BC when the command was given, the clock began ticking. It stopped ticking on Palm Sunday, 483 years later, when Messiah the Prince came into Jerusalem. 

For the first time Jesus allowed Himself to be hailed as Messiah the Prince, "Son of David.".

Daniel's prophecy had been fulfilled to the day! No other Messiah came into Jerusalem on that day. Our Father kept His word, perfectly - and He still does!

(Fred B)

Action Point

General Douglas MacArthur, in the above photo, left Corregidor in March of 1942, not knowing when he would return. He was able to eventually keep his promise of "I shall return" on October 20,1944.

Unlike the above General, our Heavenly Father operates within our lives with precise timing, complete knowledge, and a perfect record for keeping His promises: 

• Moses had described this day in Genesis 49:11, Isaiah 62:11, and Zechariah 9:9. At the Triumphal Entry, all of those predictions came to pass, exactly as God said!
  • There was second beautiful picture of God's perfect timing on that day. That Sunday was the exact day (Nisan 10) that the Passover lambs were being brought into the city! They were examined for four days, and then killed for Passover in Exodus 12. 

The Lamb of God came in with them! Three years earlier, John the Baptist had told them to "Behold the Lamb of God" and now they were.

Today, may we rest in His perfect timing and in His 100% record of keeping His Word.
May we rest in the fact that though things don't always look "on time" to us, they do to Him.

May we thank the Lamb of God for coming into town on time, to be our Sacrifice.

Sportsmen's Tip Of The Day

If possible, as you're watching for your prey, have your phone or camera ready to catch a memorable picture or video (to send your grandkids). On that same phone, set your phone alarm, if there's a legal time to stop hunting (in some states turkeys at noon, doves at legal sunset, etc). It'll help you to resist temptation to take a late/illegal shot and it may keep you out of trouble with the nearby wildlife officer!

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 09:14
Bible Study Verse
Philippians 2:3
Do nothing  from   selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves.  (HCSB)

Thoughts
After an eight-hour charter, I had begun my 25 mile jaunt back to the dock when I saw a boat stopped along the edge of the intracoastal with its engine cowling off. I thought, "No, I don't have time to stop and tow these people 10 miles back to the harbor." I stopped anyway; and yes, they had engine problems that could not be fixed. 
(Bink G)

Action Point
After tying a rope to both vessels, I loaded the two stranded men into my boat and headed east to the dock. One of the men asked, "You are a Christian aren't you? I can tell by the fish on your boat." (I have a Christian fish symbol, Ichthus, on both sides of my console.) "While we were stranded, we prayed that someone would come and help us."

God provided another example for me of how I should serve others first, no matter how much time it takes.

Carry a spare set of wrenches and screwdrivers in your boat; store them in a dry spot. The tools may not be able to fix everything, but could at least allow your boat to limp back to the dock.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 08:48
  Sorry I did not post this ,better late than never though .....right ?

Happy   Resurrection   Day
Worship   The   King   of   Kings  
He   Is   Risen!!!

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 28:1-7
After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene  and the other Mary  went to look at the tomb. There was a violent earthquake,  for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it.  His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow.  The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.

The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid,  for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified.  He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.  Come and see the place where he lay.  Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee.  There you will see him.' Now I have told you." (NIV)

John 3:16
For God so loved  the world that He gave  His one and only Son,  that whoever believes  in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. (NIV)

Thoughts
It's Easter, the truest evidence of God's love for us that ever was or could be. I can hardly imagine the scene: a violent earthquake, an angel appearing, the stone being rolled away, being told to not be afraid. Don't be afraid . . . Yeah, uh huh...right. I would have been afraid. Look at the tough guy Roman guards (the Delta Force of their day) - they became like dead men! But, amazingly, these two women don't faint or collapse in fear, as do the guards. They listened to the first post-crucifixion testimony given of Jesus' resurrection. They were told to go tell the disciples. The disciples were told to go tell the world. We've been told to share the good news. Jesus has risen; Jesus has risen indeed! Praise God, He has risen! Because Jesus rose from the grave, we can have the hope of rising from the "grave" of our sins. We can have eternal life, and we can know that we will spend that eternity in heaven with Jesus. Only believe! 

Now, how many times have you heard someone say that they don't believe that a loving God would condemn anyone to an eternity in hell? Well, guess what; they're right! God doesn't condemn us, we do that to ourselves by the choice of unbelief. Through Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection, God has provided the way for us to avoid hell. Just as we would do anything to prevent our own children from experiencing pain, God went so far to prevent our winding up in hell as to send His only Son to die for us. Would I ask my son to die for me? No! Would I send my son to die for you? I don't think so! But God didn't hold anything back - He gave the ultimate sacrifice of His only Son so that we could be saved and be with Him forever. He truly is a loving God! He offered us both forgiveness and hope on the first Easter morning. But, as Jesus was given a choice to be obedient unto death, He has given us the choice to believe or not. Choose to believe. Thank you, Father! 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Believe in Jesus - today. Accept His gift of salvation. Pray and ask Jesus to come into your heart and to forgive you of your sins. Be assured of His gift of eternal life!

If you prayed that prayer today, seek out other believers and find a Bible-teaching church where you can grow in your faith and in God's love. And, let us know here at Sportsmen's Devotional so that we can rejoice with you and pray for you.

Listen and learn from experienced hunters and fishermen. There may come a day when you encounter a situation where someone else's experience or suggestion may keep you out of a tough situation.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 08:50
Bible Study Verses
Matthew 6:19-21
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,  where moths and vermin destroy,  and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,  where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.   For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  (NIV)

Thoughts
My kids and I like to hike in the woods in the Spring after the elk have dropped their antlers. It's kind of like a treasure hunt to them, without the map. It's also a great time to teach the kids about God's creation. They have fun identifying tracks, rubs, scrapes and whatever else we can find out there. 

After the antlers shed off, they are subject to the elements and critters. Squirrels, mice and other rodents love to chew on them to get their daily intake of calcium. The sun and weather will bleach them and break them down over time. 
(Ron T)

Action Point
My pastor had a great illustration for eternity: He drew a little dot on the church wall. The dot represented our time here on earth. The rest of the church, inside and out represented eternity. 

Salvation is a free gift from God, a treasure that will not rot and cannot be stolen. We are here for such a short time, yet it's what we do with His gift of a relationship with Him, our salvation, while we're here that determines where we spend all of eternity. 

If you have never made Jesus the Lord of your life, I suggest that you do it now. Go to the Sportsman's Devotional web site, click on the "About Us" page, then on the Sportsman's Devotional.com prayer link. Jesus is coming back, and He said that He will reward each person according to what he or she has done. Read Matthew 16:27.

Shed hunting is a lot of fun and good exercise. I recommend taking along a pair of binoculars. You can glass the open meadows and save yourself a few steps. Make sure to check the regulations for the area you plan to shed hunt. Areas such as some National and State Parks don't allow the removal of antlers. (Remember to drink plenty of water on these excursions.)
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 08:44
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 22:6-8
But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. All who see me  mock me; they make mouths at me; they  wag their heads; "He trusts in the Lord; let him  deliver him; let him rescue him, for he  delights in him!" (ESV)

John 19:30
When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said,  "It is finished," and he bowed his head and  gave up his spirit. (ESV)

Thoughts
First learned of this worm from an old favorite, Kionia House. Sitting in church and conferences I was amazed I had never had heard about the worm even though it was right there in Psalm 22. The unusual reference is found in the Psalm of the Cross. One might wonder why it is reflected until one discovers how the Creator of the universe deigned the Coccus Ilicis AKA the Crimson or Scarlet Worm.

The mother worm will attach herself to several species of oak found in the Mediterranean, which does include Israel, where she lays her larva, permanently attached herself while covering her brood with a hard crimson shell. Her babies live under her protected and feed off her living body as she oozes a permanent crimson stain. Three days, not 4 not 2, but 3 exact days after her death, her color changes as her body transformed into white wax floats to the ground like snow. "Come now,  let us reason  together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as  white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool, " Isaiah 1:18 (ESV). 
(Jo Q)

Action Point
"Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness,  examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so," Acts 17:11 (ESV). Paul is referring to the Bereans with all eagerness who examined the scriptures daily which we at Sportsmens encourage each of you to continue to do.

In the online Lexicon/Strong's H8438 from the Blue Letter Bible site I found this reference:

B. the worm "coccus ilicis"
"When the female of the scarlet worm species was ready to give birth to her young, she would attach her body to the trunk of a tree, fixing herself so firmly and permanently that she would never leave again. The eggs deposited beneath her body were thus protected until the larvae were hatched and able to enter their own life cycle. As the mother died, the crimson fluid stained her body and the surrounding wood. From the dead bodies of such female scarlet worms, the commercial scarlet dyes of antiquity were extracted. What a picture this gives of Christ, dying on the tree, shedding his precious blood that he might 'bring many sons unto glory' (Hbr 2:10)! He died for us, that we might live through him! Psa 22:6 describes such a worm and gives us this picture of Christ. (cf. Isa 1:18)" (Henry Morris. Biblical Basis for Modern Science, Baker Book House, 1985, p. 73)

You'll find the references to in God's design of the Tabernacle using scarlet threads even in the priestly robes. The worm was used as a healing agent from the collection of the dried hard red peas in Exodus when one came in contact with the dead. Currently is used in some heart medication. Amazing!  

Just as the Crimson worm climbs on chosen wood to die to give offspring life, Jesus Christ, sinless, chose to die on a wooden cross to pay the penalty for all our sins, rose from the grave in three days, is ALIVE and offers the free gift of eternity with Him by your "yes" to His offer. His scarlet blood washes our sins as white as snow.His death finished the payment. The choice is yours and eternity is a long time.

Most of you  probably use the Blue Letter Bible, but if not check it out. Also love the Bible.Is app. There are times when nothing but listening to the audio Bible as I drive heals and soothes my heart. God bless!

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 08:17
Bible Study Verse
Psalms 18:2
The Lord is my rock,  my fortress  and my deliverer;
My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, 
My shield   and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. NIV)

Thoughts
On a recent scouting trip right about dusk, something caught the corner of my eye. As I slowed down, I saw a mountain lion not twenty yards away from me. Even though he saw me, he continued to walk parallel with me. 

Now understand I drive a pretty unassuming vehicle. As a matter of fact, it is downright unintimidating. This is probably why the lion could have cared less that I was there. He figured he could take me. 

I thought to myself, "Wow! It is rare to see a mountain lion. Let alone a mountain lion with an attitude." 

It wasn't until I actually got out of my car that he suddenly appeared startled. He looked at me, looked at my vehicle (which he had at least a hundred pounds on), looked at me again, and then trotted back in the direction from which he came. 
(Brett M)

Action Point
I make fun of my little car as do most of my friends. But, I do take solace in knowing that it has seatbelts, airbags, and some sheet metal surrounding me. Many people subscribe to the bigger is better belief. Which is true, an F250 is going to provide better protection than a Yugo. 

David says that God is our "shield"; a shield that protects us from our enemies. In a world filled with evil, we must pray daily that God will protect us and our families. 

We must be diligent in protecting our children. That means talking to them every day, being involved in their school and their friends, most importantly being a parent first, and then a friend second. To do otherwise would be like letting them fly through life on a high speed motorcycle without a helmet. It is not a matter of "if", but "when".

Mountain lion tags can be bought over the counter in some states. It is cheap insurance, if you do see one. 
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 10:02
Bible Study Verse
Ecclesiastes 4:9
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor. (NIV)

Thoughts
Blocking is an important tool for successful hunting of many kinds. In deer hunting we call it setting up a drive. Wild pheasants and many other types of game like to run if possible. They will run through cover at the sound of approaching danger. 

When they think it is safe, they will escape into the air or run to safer places. While success may be had hunting solo, it is much more productive hunting with others. Hunting partners get good return for their partnership. 
(Jack M)

Action Point
Don't go it alone! God made us for team work. He made us to partner with Him in a personal love relationship, but sin separated us from Him. Satan entices us to sin and attempt to make it on our own. God provided forgiveness for our sin in his Son, Jesus. Jesus died, was buried, and rose again to secure the way to God (1 Corinthians 15:3, 4). We must receive Christ to establish the relationship with God that He intended. 

God made us to enjoy and partner with other people too. Partners help each other and make each other more effective. It allows a multiplication of energy for success and the good of both. This is true in spiritual things as well as in hunting and recreational activities.

For successful upland bird hunting, try blocking. Put hunters in the flank position, a 45 degree angle to the sides of the drivers who are in the middle of the cover or field. Post other hunters at the end of the field, then walk toward the posted hunters, into the wind if possible. Make sure safe shooting lanes have been assigned ahead of time. The hunters on the flank should stay slightly ahead of the dogs and the walking hunters. This will allow game that flushes wildly to present shots that would never be realized in other ways. This tactic is essential in wild pheasant hunting early in the season and can make the difference in having any success at all late in the season.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 08:56
Bible Study Verses
John 9:24-27  
So for the second time they called the man who had been blind and said to him,  "Give glory to God. We know that  this man is a sinner." He answered, "Whether he is a sinner I do not know. One thing I do know, that though I  was blind, now I see."  They said to him, "What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?"  He answered them,  "I have told you already, and you would not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become his disciples?" (ESV)

Thoughts 
Are there mountain lions in Virginia? This is a pretty common question I hear from people. The official state answer is "No". 

But, I know people who have seen them. The people I know who have seen them are men who are extremely seasoned outdoorsmen. I also know guys who are extremely knowledgeable of the outdoors who have collected footprints of a large cat. 

So do I believe there are mountain lions in Virginia? Yes. Why because I trust the men who have seen them.
(Terry L)

Action Point
The man being questioned in the above scripture was born blind and Jesus healed him and gave him sight. This man was a living witness to the power of Christ. So imagine the weight his testimony had with people who knew him. 

I always wonder when I read this verse how many people he ended up leading to God through his witness. I have never seen a mountain lion in Virginia, but I believe in them because of the witness of good men. 

How many people can you touch in your daily life? "But  in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy,  always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect," I Peter 3:15 (NIV).

If you are having difficulties in your outdoor hobbies or personal life seek out the wisdom of people who have knowledge and that you trust will guide you straight. 
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2018 at 07:00
Bible Study Verse
Genesis 1:31 
God saw all that he had made,  and it was very good.  And there was evening, and there was morning -the sixth day. (NIV)

Thoughts
When I'm out in the woods, the desert, or just out-of-doors anywhere, I am always amazed at the beauty and the simplicity of nature. Yet, at the same time, I also marvel at the complexity of all that is around me. And God saw that it was very good! I'm inclined to agree. 

How could there be such a beautiful environment without a creator? I read how scientists want me to believe that this all came from nothing, just appeared, or random atoms just, over a gazillion years, accidentally came together. But, where did those atoms come from? There has to be a starting point to creation. 

I love the story about the scientists telling God that they would create life from the dirt, just as He did. When they begin scooping up a bucket of dirt from the earth, God tells them to go make their own dirt! Yes, the world is beautifully complex, and could only be the result of an intelligent and creative designer, an ultimate God! 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
The next time you field dress an animal, look at the complexity of that animal and the differences between species. I, for one, do not believe that I or the animals are the result of random "accidents". 

God made me, and He made me in His image! It is very good!
Always leave your camp clean. Respect the out-of-doors and leave it better than you found it for the next camper who comes along.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122>
  Share Topic