The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Todays Sportsmens Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 122>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2018 at 09:59
Bible Study Verse
Ecclesiastes 10:10
If the axe is dull and he does not sharpen its edge, then he must exert more strength; but wisdom [to sharpen the axe] helps him succeed [with less effort].  (Amplified Bible)

Thoughts
Seeking and hunting the elusive gamble quail in the West can be frustrating. A prudent, smart hunter will spend time studying maps to analyze and understand where coveys of desert quail might live. These quail do not have to live near ponds, lakes or streams, as these birds have learned that morning dew on grasses, leaves and brush provide them with their requirement of daily moisture. 
(Carl B)

Action Point
Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:25-26, "Therefore I tell you, stop being worried or anxious (perpetually uneasy, distracted) about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, as to what you will wear. Is life not more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow [seed] nor reap [the harvest] nor gather [the crops] into barns, and yet your heavenly Father keeps feeding them. Are you not worth much more than they?" (Amplified)

Stop worrying about your trousers and whether they match your hunting vest. Enjoy your walk and time outdoors. And, as an added benefit, you just might jump a covey of quail.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
When you arrive at your designated starting point to hunt quail, park your vehicle and walk a mile in one direction, then move 300 yds. to the side of your first tracks and hunt back to your vehicle. 
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 08:12
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 105:1- 2
Oh, give thanks to the Lord!
Call upon His name;
Make known His deeds among the peoples!
Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him;
Talk of all His wondrous works! (NKJV)

Thoughts
As hunters and fishermen we so much like to sit with others and talk about our last outdoor trip, the successes we had, or the beauty we enjoyed in the outdoors. 

With that in mind, as Christian outdoor men and women we should have no problem sharing His wondrous works and deeds. We, of all people, have more opportunities than most to experience His beauty and majesty in the outdoors and to appreciate how unique the critters are that He has created.
(Jimmy S)

Action Point
Next time you're sitting around telling hunting and fishing stories, try to incorporate God into the conversation. What a perfect opportunity to give Him credit for all He has done in your life and for all He has created.

Can't buy a strike? Try a spinnerbait or jig in a hot color like blaze orange or chartreuse. These outrageous hues don't look like much in nature, but they can provoke a reaction strike from a moody bass.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 09:05
Bible Study Verse
Colossians 4:2
Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving. (NASB)

Thoughts
How many things do we actually devote ourselves to? We have many interests, but we are not devoted to most of them. However, I do not know an outdoorsman who is not devoted to his/her outdoor interest - be it hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, four-wheeling, etc. 

Devotion to an outdoor activity is, after all, what makes one an outdoorsman in the first place. And, there is nothing wrong with being devoted, even passionately, to it, as long as it does not take precedence over more important areas of devotion . . . like prayer. 
(Randy E)

Action Point
Prayer is key in our relationship with the Lord. It accentuates our devotion to Him and His purposes. It keeps our minds alert to His leading and direction. It gives us greater awareness of His presence and His care for us. Filled with a sense of His presence and care, one cannot help but have "an attitude of thanksgiving." 

The Message Bible paraphrases the above verse, "Pray diligently. Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude."

Diligence in prayer is the result of a mind that is fixed on, devoted to, Jesus Christ. If we are right in our relationship with Him, He will be pleased with our devotion to our outdoor pursuits. If Christ is pleased with our lives, we cannot help but be happy! Who doesn't want that?

Devotion to a sport can easily be shared and passed on to others. Who better to share with than with children. Even if you have children or grandchildren whom you are already inviting to participate with you; what about the child next door or down the street who is desperate for someone to take an interest in them? It is doubtful that there is a better investment of your time, interest, and resources.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 10:24
Bible Study Verses
John 14:5-6
Thomas  said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
Jesus answered, "I am  the way  and the truth  and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (NIV)

Thoughts
Now, if you're like I am, when you reach into your gun vault to select a firearm for a hunt, you probably have a few choices. We all have our favorites. For medium-sized animals like deer, some choose the .270, others the .30-06, still others may prefer a .243 or a .308. For larger game such as elk, many of my friends favor a 7mm Magnum; I like my .300 Winchester Magnum. A lot of the choice has to do with what you will be hunting, where you're going, so to speak. Any one of these guns will kill anything I hunt, but where's the fun in owning only one gun!

The point is, in many areas of our lives, like hunting or shooting, we have choices. But, in our spiritual lives, there is only one choice, to accept Jesus or not. If I want to go where Jesus is, I have to go through Jesus, Himself. 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
The Bible warns us that false teachers will come and will lead many people away from the truth of Jesus. These false teachers are identified as being agents of Satan. Satan is described as being a liar. So, to whom are you going to listen - the agent of the truth, Jesus, or the agent of lies, Satan? When you choose the way you're going to follow, be sure you opt for the Truth!

If you're going to take more than one caliber of firearm on a hunt, be sure you clearly label the ammunition so it doesn't get mixed up. I like to keep my primary firearm's ammunition out where it's handy and wrap the different caliber of ammunition in plastic wrap so they don't get mixed.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 08:25
Bible Study Verse
I Peter 1:18 
For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed  from the empty way of life  handed down to you from your ancestors. (NIV)

Thoughts
I missed! I can't believe it! It is the first turkey I ever missed! 

This happened to me this year: I shot three times at a huge Merriam's longbeard (mature male turkey) at twelve yards. Afterwards, I was in the dumps. I just knew I would not get another chance. But three hours later, another longbeard appeared! After a little coaxing on the call from my friend and just a little from me, he came in, presented a target, and this time the shot was accurate. 

My friend who called him said, "You redeemed yourself with that shot." God had given me another chance to fill my tag. He is the God of the second chance! 
(Jack M)

Action Point
I missed in another area as well. We all do. We miss God's mark of holiness. That is the definition of sin, missing God's mark. "The wages of sin is death," the bad news, "But the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord," the rest of the story Romans 6:23 (NIV). 

God offers a chance to be redeemed; and only HE would do that. He provided His Son as a substitute payment for our sin, mine and yours! Have you been redeemed? Has your sin been washed away? Will you enjoy eternal life with God? 

I received this offer of redemption as a gift from God when only six years old. He redeemed me. He forgave my sins. 

You may be redeemed by believing in Jesus as your Lord and Savior. He will redeem all who come to God by faith in Him. Redeemed! A second chance! That is a great feeling. I was happy and pleased to have the second chance at that gobbler; but I am even happier to have the redemption that results in everlasting life!

Learn from the mistakes you make. Learn how to do it better next time. Go over the situation in your mind and mark well the lessons you can use when the opportunity presents itself again. In the field, every mistake may be turned into a learning experience.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 08:28

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 32:9
Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you. (NIV)

Thoughts
Pain hurts. I think you will agree. I try to avoid it.

Sometimes hunting dogs are extremely hard headed. They want to hunt more than to obey you or to hunt with you. Frustration is defined by a bird dog running wild, charging ahead, and busting all the birds out of the field before the hunters arrive or can take a shot.

The electronic training collars provide a mild stimulus to the dog in training to correct bad behavior. When disobedience occurs, the pain of the electronic stimulation brings them under control and back to the handler.
(Jackie M)

Action Point
Sometimes God uses pain to correct our sinful behavior. Psalm 32 is King David's testimony to this fact. Our verse speaks of the bridle used on horses and mules. The pressured pain inflicted by the bit in their mouth is what brings them into line and controls them. As they instinctively move to lessen the pain, the bit and bridle brings the horse or mule to the handler. Otherwise, uncontrolled and inaccessible, they are not useful.

Not all the pain and suffering in the world is because of sin. We live in a world that is cursed by sin and bad things happen because sin and its curse reign over this world. Many times when we wander, stray, or sin, God will use pain, illness, injury, or negative circumstances to get our attention and to bring us back to Him.

When pain occurs, ask God to reveal to you if it is His corrective effort or just the natural product of a world turned upside down and in rebellion to Him.

His Word and His Spirit will guide you into all Truth. Read John 16:13. Listen to His still, small voice of correction and you will avoid the pain.

Electronic training collars are effective in controlling hard headed, stubborn dogs. Buy a quality one. Consider one that gives a warning sound before the electrical stimulation. That will often correct the offending dog that has experience with the collar.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 08:49
Bible Study Verse
Romans 7:23
But I see another law at work in me, waging war  against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin  at work within me. (NIV)

Thoughts
I have recently attempted to get back into archery and I have to say it has been trying. I am having a time with being consistent with my bow. One minute I am putting 3 arrows into a 4 inch circle at 20 yards with no trouble then the next thing I know I completely miss the target and lose an arrow out in the woods. 

What make this worse is I am a firearms instructor and I am used to being proficient with my weapon. I am confident that it is not my bow, but me. I know I am not being consistent with my form, but I am just not sure where. The firearms instructor in me wants to say the problem is in my head, so I purchased more arrows and I continue to practice. 
(Terry L)

Action Point
Have you ever noticed how much of an effect your mind and feelings can have on you? If you are confident in your shooting abilities it will show, if you are not it will show. 

I have worked with several people who if they could get their mind set right they would be awesome shots. These people have the mechanics down and have the skill, but they are being defeated in their mind. 

This could also be said about God's people. We all have been uniquely gifted by Him, but when it comes time to pull the trigger we let our minds mess us up. We think to ourselves: 
  • I can't do this. Who am I to do this? Look at the things I have done!
  • I have tried before, but have missed my target and my confidence is broken. 
You and I can't do it, but He can if we will let Him. 

I have had more than one failed attempt at ministry in my life and I wonder if they failed because I tried to do them within my power. See, that is the old me at work. As I grow in Him through my personal life and ministry work, I have overcome many obstacles and with each one I have cleared as He has been with me. With each one cleared I become more confident in His love for me and in what I can do for our Lord with His help. 

"Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires;  but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires," Romans 8:5 (NIV).

If you are out shooting and you begin to struggle, step away for a few minutes to clear your head. People have a tendency to keep trying and frustration sets in and clouds your mind.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 08:36
Bible Study Verse
Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp  for my feet, a light  on my path. (NIV)

Thoughts
Years ago, I was venturing out on a fishing trip into Canada onto a lake where some of my family had already fished in previous years. In discussing with them what my options were going to be on this remote fishing trip, my brother-in-law offered me a map of the main lake where I was going to be fishing. 

On this map, he had marked out what fish were located where. As I looked at the map, I recognized I was inheriting knowledge from him of years of fishing on this lake. I was going to benefit from years of his trials and errors.   

I wasn't going to walk in blind to this lake and have to fend for myself in trying to figure things out. I knew where the small mouth bass were, the pike, and the walleye. It was all laid out for me in the map color coded with notes and lure suggestions to boot. I was set up for success! 
(Dave M)

Action Point
God has provided us a map to life through His Word, the Bible. He has given us this map to show us the way to live life in a meaningful way. There is no need for confusion, lack of purpose, or direction. 

The answers to life's core questions all find answers within the context of God's Word. He has left us a map to help us make it through this life and to the next one. He didn't just leave us to our own powers and volition to figure things out. Because He loves us so much, He left us a map. May we have the strength to follow His directions today!

Keeping notes on an area you are hunting or fishing over the course of time allows you a greater opportunity to succeed in the wild. It often takes years to figure a particular area out.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 08:33
Sportsmens Devotional
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 6, 2018
Today's Photograph . . Skiing With My Son (Cliff S)

Bible Study Verse
John 6:60-66
On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?" Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, "Does this offend you? What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. (NIV)

Thoughts
With a careful watch, I followed my 6 year old son as he slowly carved and cut his way down the snow covered ski run. Although it was his first time skiing he was doing well so I decided to ski well ahead - in an attempt to capture the moment on film.

As I looked back, I saw him fall. Although he was not hurt, his skis were crossed and he needed help getting up. As I struggling back up that slope, I watched skiers quickly and effortlessly pour down past me. It was easy to go down, but climbing back up proved difficult.

I visualized Jesus climbing to a high vantage point to speak to the crowd that day. When those followers heard His charge they considered it too difficult grasp and many turned their backs on Him - descending down and away. They made the decision to choose flesh over faith.
(Will D)

Action Point
Many times in our lives it seems as though we are struggling with an uphill climb. Continue climbing. The crowd (and this world) beckons us to follow them - usually downhill. Continue to place your faith in the Cross - it provides the strength and stamina needed to scale life's mountains.

Regardless of how often you snow ski, wear a properly fitted helmet. Not only will it keep you safe, but it is also the warmest thing you can wear.
sd logo
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 11:05
Sportsmens Devotional
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen ebruary 7, 2018
Today's Photograph.... Grizzly (FWS)

Bible Study Verse
Micah 6:8
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (NAS)

Thoughts
I love this verse! It is very direct and to the point. It is required of us to do right, to be gentle with others, and to show kindness to others. Remember, "pride comes before you fall".

Have you ever encountered a time in the woods or on the water when you made a wrong decision or your attitude did not come close to being kind? You may have let your pride dominate a situation and you found yourself miles off the trail lost for hours if not days. Practice this verse today as you think about what the Lord requires of you!
(Glen D)

Action Point
In your prayer closet today ask God to reveal to you any particular situations or events that you have sinned against someone or a group of people. As He brings these to mind write them down, immediately get on the phone to seek reconciliation, and be restored in your relationship with them and your God. Make a difference today!

Pray for those by name you are going with on your next outing and ask God to show you how He desires you to minister to them. You will be amazed at how this affects the outing.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 10:45
Today's Photograph....Trail Riding. (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Joshua 4:21-24
He said to the Israelites, "In the future when your descendants ask their fathers, 'What do these stones mean?' tell them, 'Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.' For the LORD your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The LORD your God did to the Jordan just what he had done to the Red Sea when he dried it up before us until we had crossed over. He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the LORD is powerful and so that you might always fear the LORD your God." (NIV)

Thoughts
My wife's passions are her horses and trail riding. In the past 38 years we have ridden many back country trails and followed cairns, small piles of rock set to mark the trail. Today the Forest Service uses small blue diamonds tacked to trees along the trail. The older method of marking with stones is still used, especially on unmapped trails or the older less traveled trails. Recently I found cairns over two feet high, stacked by an energetic soul. They still all serve the same purpose, the way. (Byron S.)

Action Point
Rock pillars or cairns date back to Moses' crossing the Red Sea during the Exodus. Rock pillars, thought to be set up by King Solomon, mark the crossing site. They what God did for His people. Another analogy that I thought of is stones of remembrance are to point and show us the way. I have discovered is that every page of the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, point to Jesus Christ, The Way.

Genesis 5 holds the prophetic stones that reflect genealogy from Adam to Noah which spell out the Gospel:

Adam=Man
Seth=Appointed
Enosh=Mortal
Cainan=Sorrow
Mahalalel=The Blessed God
Jared=Shall Come Down
Enoch=Teaching
Methuselah=His Death Shall Bring
Lamech=The Despairing
Noah=Comfort

In sentence form it reads: Man (has) Appointed Mortal Sorrow; (but) The Blessed God Shall come down Teaching, (and) His death shall bring The Despairing comfort.

Take time to read and study your Bible, you will be amazed at the stones of membrance that you will find. I guarantee it will keep you on the trail.

Some back country trails wash out over the years making it hard to find the way. Invest in a good map and compass or GPS and more importantly, know how to use them.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 09:27
Bible Study Verse
John 10:10 
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life,  and have it to the full. (NIV)

Thoughts
Many agencies and organizations have mission statements. The state I work has this one:

"The wildlife division will manage the states wildlife and fisheries resources and their associated habitats for their sustained and equitable use, and for the benefit, welfare, and enjoyment of the citizens of this state and its visitors."

Whenever we need to decide what projects to work on, we can hold them up to this mission statement and see if it lines up with our purpose.
(Ron T)

Action Point
The verse above pretty much sums up the mission of the devil and the mission of Jesus.
When I looked up "mission statement" on Wikipedia it said it's a statement of the purpose of a company, organization or person, its reason for existing.

We have to choose which mission to follow. Deuteronomy 30:19 says, "This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you  that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.  Now choose life, so that you and your children may live,"  (NIV).

When thoughts pop in your head and you wonder where the heck they came from, hold the thought up to John 10:10, if it brings life, great, take it. If not . . . bye, bye.

Sportsman's Tip of the Day
Wrap a few feet of duct tape around your lighter before you throw it in your pack, they make many different cool colors to choose from now a days.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 08:41
Bible Study Verses
John 1:44-47
Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.  Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote-Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."  And Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see."  Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!" (NKJV)

Thoughts
Every February, across the country, candy, flowers, and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine. Who was this mysterious saint and why do we celebrate this holiday?

The history of Valentine's Day is shrouded in mystery.  According to one legend, Valentine sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl,  who may have been his jailor's daughter  who visited him during his confinement.

Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed "From your Valentine." An expression that is still in use today.
(Ruben C)

Action Point
Why was Jesus so fired up about Nathanael? He spoke his mind and was not a deceitful person.  I'm going to challenge you and your relationship with your loved one today!

"No deceit means no treachery, cheating, deception, or trickery. Men, have you ever fudged the numbers on how much your hunt would cost? How about secretly saving "your" money to buy a new rifle? Secretly looking at members of the opposite sex in other than a pure manner? 

Want to make a resolution for the new year? Make one to truly be one with your wife, and start today!

"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."  This is a profound mystery-but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband," Ephesians  5:31- 33 (NIV).

Sportsman's Tip of the Day
What would be a great event for you today?

One that is totally centered around the Love of your Life! Cook for her, make her a card, pick your own bouquet of flowers, and you may even take her out if your cooking is not up to snuff. Skip the movies if you can, it will take your focus off of her. Whatever you do, make her your priority. It doesn't matter the origins of "Valentine's Day." If you use it to honor your loved one, today will be pleasing to God.  
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 07:43
Bible Study Verses
Job 11:1-4  
Then Zophar the Naamathite  replied:
"Are all these words to go unanswered? 
Is this talker to be vindicated? 
Will your idle talk  reduce others to silence?
Will no one rebuke you when you mock? 
You say to God, 'My beliefs are flawless 
and I am pure in your sight.' " (NIV)

Thoughts
When I hear the words such as unanswered, vindicated, idle and mock, I can't help but think of the politicians that today feel they have dominion over us. These so called "elected" representative of the people do not talk to us, they talk at and down to us as if they are the ones to be worshiped. 

My pastor told me that people like them are taking all they can now because this is the time they believe in. They push for us to worship them because that is where their control is. However, we know Who the ONE in control is and in the end we know Who wins!!! 

Stay strong my friends because their time is short compared to the ONE Who holds our hearts and souls in His Hand!!!
(Jim C)

Action Point
The Bible truly has the words to live by held within its pages. Just reading through it you can easily find the things that are happening now that God has warned us against. The Bible really is a "self help" book created by the Creator. 

When times get tough and they will.  That's part of life! Remember the answers you seek to the problems are held within Him and are in His Word.  God has got this.

Getting ready for fishing season becomes a lot easier if at least once a week you take 15 minutes and go through some part of your tackle. One night look over rods, later check your reels. When it's time to go, you will be ready from the short amounts of time you put in ahead of time.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 12:31
Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. (NLT)

Thoughts
Friends better each other. Through shared outdoor experiences, vital skills are learned and camaraderie is built, similar to that shared by military personnel. Life-long friends are found; lasting relationships developed, and trust for each other is cemented by outdoor experiences. Shared pursuits, successes enjoyed, and even failures that are encountered embellish and strengthen these bonds. 

We learn together from mistakes; and friends help us by sharing our faults as well as commending our strengths. Such trust enables accountability, and we may make one another better, in the woods and in life.
(Jack M)

Action Point
Intentionally develop friendships through your hunting, fishing, hiking, and other outdoor interests. Use this common ground to find new friends. 

As these relationships develop, respectfully look for and pray for opportunities to share Truth with them. Especially share the need for forgiveness of sin that is available in Jesus Christ. Challenge each other to live for Christ, to be holy and upright in life, language, attitudes, and actions. He who calls us is holy, and we should be holy as well (1 Peter 1:15). 

Spiritual accountability is especially needed for success in our relationship with God. Make yourself accountable to others who want to honor the Lord Jesus.

Always keep your hunting knives sharp and ready for proper use. Learn to correctly sharpen and maintain an edge on your all edged tools. Emergencies develop that require a good blade, knife, or other cutting tool. Sharp tools are safer than dull ones.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 09:14
Bible Study Verses
II Peter 3:17-18
Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen. (NIV)

Thoughts
During a hunter education class a father came to me and shared a problem. His child had a javelina hunt one week after the class was over and was having issues with the recoil from the .308 Winchester he wanted her to shoot. I told him that I'd spend a little time with her on range day and see if we could work her through the problem.

After our class range day was over I sat down with the girl and started working with her one on one. As we got started her Father and another gentleman were standing next to her talking about the .308 and how hard it kicked and how it would hurt to shoot it. I finally had enough and looked at them and said, "Go away!"

Once they left and quit putting thoughts of fear into her head, I had her shoot a .22, then a .223. She was OK with both. Then, it was time for the .308. She followed my instruction to hold the gun tight. She shot it with no problem.

At that point I made a comment that became the pivotal moment in the process. I told her that the gun had moved her about four inches, about the same as it would have moved her Dad.

Whoa! A smile came on her face and she asked me, "Really?" That was the turning point. She was over the recoil problem and shot several more rounds all with very good form and accuracy.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Young Christians sometimes get discouraged because of all the rules they are told they are supposed to follow. It's especially true if they're hearing about everything in their life that they have to change, give up, or can't do.

This passage instructs us to be cautious of the rules of men. We're to follow Jesus and Jesus only. We're also to grow in our faith and in the grace and knowledge of Christ. That happens when we get into the Bible and read and study what Jesus is all about.

Jesus Himself said it well, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself,' " Luke 10:27b (NIV). You'll never go wrong following those two rules. Jesus said that, too!!!

When introducing a novice to shooting, focus on proper technique and not recoil. If you constantly talk about recoil, the student is not going to want to shoot because you've told him or her that it's going to hurt. Two things: start the shooter on a low recoil gun, a .22 or maybe a .223, and then gradually get into the bigger stuff. And, do not let your ten year old shoot your .300 magnum! Have them wear good hearing protection as much of the fear of the gun is hearing the muzzle blast. Finally, tell them to hold the gun as tight as they'd hold their boyfriend or girlfriend. It breaks the tension and is proper technique. 
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2018 at 10:52
Bible Study Verse
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Daddy and both my grandmas welcomed one of their heroes home yesterday. They had such respect and honor for Billy that when he spoke they listened; we all listened. Thousands if not millions welcomed Billy home. Billy was such a honorable, yet humble man. He never took credit for what God did for each of us and  for   him.

I was in grade school the first time I got to go to the stadium for the Billy Graham Crusade. There wasn't empty seats. It was full.There was no fear of bomb threats or terrorists or false flags or ticket sales for seats. It was free. Now days some preachers charge for one to attend a stadium filled service. Billy set the standard that many will never reach.
(Jo Q)

Action Point
1 " 'If you went for a walk in the woods, but then decided to wander off the path, and found yourself surrounded by a thicket of thorns and poison ivy, who would you blame? Would you blame the person who built the path? No, of course not. Instead you'd blame yourself if you were honest, because you alone were responsible for wandering from the path.' "

" ' In a far deeper way, this is what happens when we decide to leave God out of our lives. For a time, it may seem like wandering away from Him doesn't make any difference; it may even seem easier and freer. But eventually it catches up with us-just as wandering off that path and into the thicket caught up with you.' - Billy Graham #BG 100."

1 Copied from Billy Graham's Facebook page dated 2/20/18 2:19 pm.

Billy Graham wanted to br remembered for being faithful. His faithful list included:
  • To God.
  • To his calling.
  • To his wife and family.
  • To his friends.
What an awesome example we have learned from. What will you leave when you die?

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 11:20
Bible Study Verses
Psalms 25:4-5
Show me your ways, Lord,
    teach me your paths. 
Guide me in your truth  and teach me,
    for you are God my Savior, 
    and my hope is in you  all day long. (NIV)

Thoughts
When my family first started backpacking, we learned quickly about making sure to have the right compass and/or maps. Walking up and down the aisles at Cabela's, we found many varieties of compasses. As we stood there trying to sort out all the information, the question became, "Do we want compasses or would we be better off just getting a GPS?" 

Being the purists that we are, we finally decided to do it the old-fashioned way and use compasses in conjunction with good quality maps. The reason that finding the right compass was so important to us was very simple, we didn't want to get lost out on the trail. Should we be uncertain as to which way to turn when we reached the crossroads of the trail, we could simply look at the compass and know that the route we were taking was the right one. Being lost is not fun! 

Fortunately for us as Christians, God has provided us all the directions we need for this life through his compass, the Bible. Life has a way of muddying the picture for us and it's easy to get turned around or lost. That's why it's imperative that we make God's Word a staple part of our daily lives. 

It's really not important what I think about the issues that may confront me; it's more important that I know what God has to say about them. His response needs to be mine! 
(Dave M)

Action Point
Let's rely on God's Word daily as our compass to this life. We need to read it and let it soak in, so that our lives will be transformed into what God desires for each of us.

If you are going to go backpacking out in the bush, make sure that the maps you take have a laminate covering. You don't want to get out there and have the print become indecipherable due to rain or snow.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 08:20
Bible Study Verse
Ecclesiastes 4:9
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor. (NIV)

Thoughts
Blocking is an important tool for successful hunting of many kinds. In deer hunting we call it setting up a drive. Wild pheasants and many other types of game like to run if possible. They will run through cover at the sound of approaching danger. 

When they think it is safe, they will escape into the air or run to safer places. While success may be had hunting solo, it is much more productive hunting with others. Hunting partners get good return for their partnership. 
(Jack M)

Action Point
Don't go it alone! God made us for team work. He made us to partner with Him in a personal love relationship, but sin separated us from Him. Satan entices us to sin and attempt to make it on our own. God provided forgiveness for our sin in his Son, Jesus. Jesus died, was buried, and rose again to secure the way to God (1 Corinthians 15:3, 4). We must receive Christ to establish the relationship with God that He intended. 

God made us to enjoy and partner with other people too. Partners help each other and make each other more effective. It allows a multiplication of energy for success and the good of both. This is true in spiritual things as well as in hunting and recreational activities.

For successful upland bird hunting, try blocking. Put hunters in the flank position, a 45 degree angle to the sides of the drivers who are in the middle of the cover or field. Post other hunters at the end of the field, then walk toward the posted hunters, into the wind if possible. Make sure safe shooting lanes have been assigned ahead of time. The hunters on the flank should stay slightly ahead of the dogs and the walking hunters. This will allow game that flushes wildly to present shots that would never be realized in other ways. This tactic is essential in wild pheasant hunting early in the season and can make the difference in having any success at all late in the season.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 09:07
Bible Study Verse
I Thessalonians 5:22
Abstain from all appearance of evil. (KJV)

Thoughts
Billy Graham will be the fourth private citizen to be honored since 1852 and the 32nd of all Rotunda  Honors. His pine coffin will rest on the same platform, cataalque, that was used for President Abraham Lincoln's casket. The simple wood casket was nade by inmates at the Louisiana State Penitentiary.

To pay your respects at the Rotunda of the Capital February 28 and March 1, 2018  with permission by his family and executed by the Senate and the House of Representatives  leadership.

1 " 'All that I have been able to do, I owe to Jesus Christ. When you honor me, you are really honoring Him. Any honors I have received, I accept with a sense of inadequacy and humility, and I will reserve the right to hand all of these someday to Christ, when I see Him face-to-face.' -Billy Graham."

1 From Billy Graham's Facebook page dated 2/21/18.
(Jo Q)

Action Point
Billy Graham was  one of God's men and lived  an excellent example for all of us. There wasn't an inch given for Satan to attack him or his team by private lunches and private meetings with questionable partners.

How many affairs, gossip, lost careers, failing businesses, split marriages and lawsuits would be avoided by following his example?

Sportsmen'sTip of the Day
We should all study God's living Word, pray and prepare to spend eternity with our Lord Jesus Christ and Billy. God bless you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 122>
  Share Topic