The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > Recipes, Cooking, Game Processing and Food in General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

**Pepper Jelly**

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOT14U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **Pepper Jelly**
    Posted: 21 September 2009 at 08:55

Ok decided to can up some pepper jelly...remember it's not as hot as it sounds...but man is it GREAT on biscuits. I got this recipe from my great grandma. She even puts habenero's in this but I didn't have any right now.

Start with japs, serranos, piquins, dynomites...what ever you want and what ever mix you have. I started with Japs, serranos, piquins, cherry bombs..
wash and seed all peppers ( i do not seed them, you might want to seed half)...
put in blender or processor...blend or chop(i like chunks and that is how grams does hers)
4 cups of peppers and juice
1 cup cider vinegar
5 cups sugar
1 box of sure jell (original fruit pectin)

put peppers in pot with juice and vinegar.  stir pectin in to fruit (add 1/2 teaspoon of butter to reduce foam if needed) bring to a rolling boil stirring constantly. when boiling add sugar quickly and bring back to rolling boil. then boil for 1 minute. remove from heat and poor in to jars and either set upside down for 5 minutes or do a water bath.

Edited by GOT14U
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 09:08

looks really good - i've never had pepper jelly, but i've heard that a lot of people like it. will have to try sometime!

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
mr mom View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 09:14

that stuff is sooooooooo  good!!!!!!   all you need is some crackers and creamcheese !!!!!!

but it is also good on butterd toast !!!!!!!!!

ill  take a dz. jars , please !!!!!!!!!!!

mr mom
GOT14U View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOT14U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 09:28
my favorite is warm biscuit with a little butter and slap on the jelly....man i can't wait.
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 09:39
got1 - you've convinced me - will gie this a try very soon, probably this weekend ~

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
GOT14U View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOT14U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 11:05
you won't regret it....don't add any water like i did to the peppers before i put the sugar in....when you add the sugar to the peppers and vinager it liquifies more....very simple to make and well worth it.
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

got1 - you've convinced me - will gie this a try very soon, probably this weekend ~
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 22:44

I make it all the time and use it on deer or pork.  The last few batches I've made, I've been using 3 3/4 cups chopped peppers and 1/4 cup chopped garlic.  I usually go about half & half jalapenos & habaneros.  If you want it mild, go half & half red bell pepper & jalapeno and seed it, this is how my daughter likes it.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

GOT14U View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOT14U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 21:17

here is some of the finished product...I had to re-do my pepper jelly because it didn't set up do to me adding some water to it. also this is a pic of some other things. if interested I can post up recipes. far right semi-sweet zuchinni pickles,bottom middle papper jelly, bttm left salsa, middle top pickled spicy dill green tomatoes(not tomatillo's), and spicy dill chips on the top left.

chikee View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chikee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 04:00

All of your food looks great!!  I made jalepno jelly for the first time this year.  I liked it so well, I made two more batches!  My other two batches, I added about 10 drops of green food coloring.  I plan on giving away food for Christmas this year to save money on presents, so I wanted it to look prettier.  I also seed the japs so it wouldn't be so hot because I am a wimp! 

Also, since it didn't set up so well, next time try two boxes of sure gel.  My recipe calls for two pouches of liquid pectin.  In fact, I used two in all my jams and jellies (except my blueberry-lemon) and the only ones I had problems with them setting up was the blueberry lemon.

I have a great recipe for Balsamic Sweet Pepper Jam that has japs in it.  I will post it later.

FYI!!!!  Pepper jelly is AWESOME on summer sausage!

Edited by chikee
-Chikee
mr mom View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 05:00
 remember chikee !!!!  share with your brother !!!!
mr mom
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 05:23
 Man I got a boat load of Peter Peppers this year and more on the vine I wonder how they will do?
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
chikee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chikee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:36

Mom:  SSSSHHHH!!!!!  He's getting some for Christmas!

Tikka:  Never tried peter peppers, don't know a thing about them, but what the heck!  If you like them, it can't hurt to try!

-Chikee
chikee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chikee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:43

Got1,

I was looking at your post with all your food, and I noticed a box of liquid pectin on your counter.  If you still have it, that is where I got my recipe for my jalepeno jelly from.  Mine had 2 cups of cider vinegar.  One when you puree to help it liquify, and one when you boil.  I was reading up on canning, and if your jams don't set up too well, it could be because of not enough acid.  i.e. vinegar, lemon juice, etc.

-Chikee
GOT14U View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOT14U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 03:02
chikee....thanks i figure why my first batch didn't set was from the water i had added. That was my first time making jelly. I learnt my lesson.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 11:58

Peter Peppers ,kind of a Cajun taste. They come in red and orange,the orange ones are the hottest.

Edited by Tikkabuck
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
chikee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chikee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 13:21

I see why they are called Peter Peppers. 

I would try some making jelly with them.  If they have a cajun taste, that would rock on crackers and cream cheese!  Let me know how it turns out.  I will post my sweet pepper jam recipe, too.  It might be something you want to try your peter peppers in.

Got1,

The very first jam I ever made was my blueberry-lemon.  I read the recipe about 4 times, each batch I made. Two batches.  That is when I started reading on what to do about the jelly if it didn't set up.  I thought it was because I used natural lemon juice instead of bottled because it wasn't as acidic.  Only after I made my third batch of jalepeno jelly, did I notice the blueberry-lemon recipe called for TWO boxes of liquid pectin as did the jalepeno, but I made it right.  Talk about being BLONDE!  (And yes, I really am supposed to be!)

-Chikee
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 07:57

>>> if interested I can post up recipes<<<

definitely interested!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
rivet View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 08:11
I've grown peter peppers for two years, and they were great! Last time I had them was last year and they do seem to be prolific plants, though the peppers weren't that hot. Nowhere near the average jalapeno. They tasted good tho....with a bit of minor heat at the end..even Mrs Rivet could eat them and she doesn't like really hot peppers. The average jalapeno is way too hot for her.

Anyway, you all have made me wann try my hand at pepper jelly! Thanks

FIRE IS OUR FRIEND!
GOT14U View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOT14U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 08:38
Originally posted by chikee chikee wrote:

Got1,

The very first jam I ever made was my blueberry-lemon.  I read the recipe about 4 times, each batch I made. Two batches.  That is when I started reading on what to do about the jelly if it didn't set up.  I thought it was because I used natural lemon juice instead of bottled because it wasn't as acidic.  Only after I made my third batch of jalepeno jelly, did I notice the blueberry-lemon recipe called for TWO boxes of liquid pectin as did the jalepeno, but I made it right.  Talk about being BLONDE!  (And yes, I really am supposed to be!)

I see what you mean...i did use 2 liquid packets on the second batch...just had some yesterday....man I luv this stuff....

rivet you will die for this stuff if you like your peppers like I think you do. little butter on a biscuit and some jelly nothin better(except maybe a real small pattie of sausage on it also)

Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 10:45

i made 2 batches of jalapeno jelly tonight. 25 jalapenos made exactly 9 one-pint jars of jelly, - go figure!

turned out looking REALLY nice and tastes great, too. a sweet/sour dollop of goodness with a jalapeno kick. enough that you notice it, but not so much that it kicks out in the gonads.

thanks for the idea, GOT14U!

BIG CORRECTION! THEY WERE HALF-PINT JARS, NOT PINT JARS! SORRY!

Edited by TasunkaWitko

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic