The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > Recipes, Cooking, Game Processing and Food in General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

4th of july BBQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th of july BBQ
    Posted: 03 July 2009 at 19:49

looking forward to a good Q session tomorrow - here's what we got for the main courses:

beef:

an all-beef swiss-n-mushroom fatty made from some very lean local burger (this might have been a mistake - it was a little difficult to roll). the filling is composed of sauteed mushroom, onion and garlic in a little butter and olive oil with marsala wine and a dash of lemon juice. this was cooked down thick and spread out on the swiss cheese.

an almost-three-pound boneless chuckie - haven't done one of these before so i m going to treat it like a cross between a brisket and a prok shoulder.

two good-sized racks of beef back ribs, portioned out a bit. these look to be meatier than the ones i had been getting before. these will not be foiled.

all beef (except the fatty) was slathered with mustard and then all beef (including the fatty got a generous rub of worcestershire pepper and durkee's kansas city style steak seasoning. this stuff consists of what appears to be sea or kosher salt, cracked black pepper, granulated garlic and onion, and crushed red pepper flakes.

pork:

a slab of spares cut into three portions. this looks to be good-quality stuff and not the normal injected stuff i am usually forced to use! these will not be foiled.

5 good-sized cunks of country style ribs, about as long as a keyboard up to the arrow keys and as wide as the three rows of letters each. this also looks to be good meaty stuff but it also has a portion of skin and fat cap attached. they are boneless and i will probably do some form of 3/2/1 with them.

i am also considering getting the fixin's tomorrow morning for a simple sausage and cheddar breakfast fatty.

i am curently planning to spritz all meats, beef and pork, with a 50/50 mix of captain morgan and apple juice!

other:

i am prepared to do 20 ABTs f demand calls for it, but do not plan to do them at this time since the people who appreciate what they have to offer are quite few in number (me and 2 of my boys) tomorrow.

after seeing rivet's pterodactyl eggs (smoked hard-boiled eggs), i'll probbaly toss a few of these on!

i hope to drop everything on the SnP by 0900 tomorrow. i am guesstimating a maximum of 6 hours for everything but realize it might be less than that. am concenred about the chuckie and that it might take longer time. any estimates would be appreciated and i will try to put that on alone for a couple hours if necessary to get it done at the same time as everything else. another option might be to cook it closer to the firebox. i am able to even temps out pretty well across the cmoking chamber, but there's still some variation and naturally it is warmer at the "west" end.

looking forward to a great day tomorrow! will also be sure to post as much q-view as possible. comments, suggetions etc. are always welcome!

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 05:18

as usual, got a late start - meat was on @ 1015 this morning ~ here's what we got for now:

farthest west is the beef fattie (i have concernens about this) - then moving east we have the country ribs, the spare ribs, the chuckie and the beef back ribs. when everything shrinks up a bit i'll add the pterodactyl eggs and also a couple of dinner sausages. i decided we might as well have the chuckie tomorrow (pulled BBQ beef sandwiches). so will cook it till it's done and then let it rest, then pull.

Edited by TasunkaWitko

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 07:04

at 1100 i put the eggs on here and there - found room for them after all! right before noon, i figured the mushroom/swiss fatty would be done - checked temperature and it was 155 degrees, which is just fine considering it is all beef. it did blow out a little but it wasn't too bad, all things considered - being very lean beef, i was expecting it to anyway.

inside was a bit sloppy but it tasted great! made a very fine lunch. i strongly recommed a combination of beef, mushroom, swiss, onions, garlic and teriyaki ~

while the fatty was resting, i took the opportunity to add some lump and spritz with a 50/50 captian morgan/apple juice spritz i also rearranged stuff around as quickly as possible:

Edited by TasunkaWitko

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 08:42

1345 - added some lump and hickory, sprtized and threw on the sausages. pterodactyl eggs are off the smoker and chillin in the fridge until dinnertime. everythings looking good although amybe a little darker than i would have expected.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 09:52

1500 - another addition of lump, spritz and rotate. things atarting to look and feel done - moving it over to the far end to leave thicker cuts toward the firebox - things going well

Edited by TasunkaWitko

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 11:20

1615 - everything's pretty well done except the chuckie, which is in the 180s. i'll pull everything off and leave the chuckie to finish up!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 13:16

hey, everyone - the chuckie hit 197 at the same time the temps in the smoker started to fall off (used ONE 9-lb bag of lump plus a coffeecan-full of briquettes for this smoke), so i foiled it up and put it in towels and cooler. not much to photograph, just looks like a small black lump, but it sure smells good!

i did get a picture of everything piled up on the platter. it was an impressive pile but rather unsightly in its blackness. here it is for posterity:

now, don't let the blackness fool you, everyone - there was no burned taste and nothing was charred. in fact, this was some very good barbecue. what you see on that platter is a pile of dinner sausage (these came from schwan's, but hillshire farm or even wal-mart sausages are good!) country-style ribs, pork spare ribs and beef back ribs. i tried a little of everything and there were some very good flavors. the "apple-jack" mop made for some good tastes, but the sugar also caused a lot of blackening that did not affect flavor.

the pork spare ribs were maybe a tad overdone and a bit dry, as were the thinner beef back ribs. the country style ribs and thicker beef ribs were perfect. that sausage was also very good with a "pop" every time it was bitten into and plenty of smokey juciness inside.

looking forward to pulling the chuckie tonight and mixing it with some BBQ sauce tomorrow for BBQ beef sandwiches. should be pretty good!

for sides, we kept it simple - some of melissa's homemade potato salad and some chips with 7-layer mexican dip (very good!). for dessert, my mother made an old family favorite, which is a strawberry cheesecake made from the old recipe of a family friend. the recipe can be found here for anyone interested:

http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=6179

traditionally on the 4th of july, we make a gallon of a koolaid punch to drink. it consists of a package of lemonade koolaid and a package of lemon-lime koolaid in a gallon jar with thinly-sliced lemon and lime. when chilled it is as good as it gets!

forgot to mention - the pterodactyl eggs were great!

Edited by TasunkaWitko

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic