The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > Recipes, Cooking, Game Processing and Food in General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

looks like my wife loves me after all!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looks like my wife loves me after all!
    Posted: 26 March 2009 at 04:46
guys -

today's my birthday and my wife called just now from work to let me know she wanted to get me a new smoker. i have three ECBs (all with modifications). due to price and availablility up here in montana, this is the pit she will be getting me:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8154150

$138.00

Brinkmann 40" Smoke 'n Pit Charcoal Smoker

Product Details

1of 2 images
View & Enlarge

$138.00

i have of course heard of the SnP, but would like for y'all who have the SnP to give a side-by-side comparison of the SnP and the ECB - pros, cons etc. and would also like to know the best way to squeeze the best results out of an SnP.

in short, i'd like to know if the SnP would be a "step up" from the ecb when it comes to smoke cooking and if i should take her up on this or if i should hold on to the ECBs and hold out for something else.

thanks in advance!

ron
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 11:53

Taz;

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  And many more to come also.

However, as far as the smokers go, I'm like Schultz:  "I know notting!"

I do have the model "G" BBQ though.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 13:01

Are they electric/charcoal or gas???

I have had a number Luhr Jenson and now I have a Char-broil water smoker.  It is electric and I love it.  Just do it a piece from the house.  Wife is going to be gone next week so beaver fleshing and smoking wild boar hams will be Tues and Wednesday.

Glad to hear she luvs ya.

BEAR

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 07:01

thanks, 900f!

bear - i've also got the big and little luhr-jensens - love them for cheese and jerky as well as otehr applications. i have three of the "R2-D2"-type charcoal smokers and they all perform very well, also. i prefer charcoal or wood smokers even though the propane/electric ones are more convenient.

she went to get the new smoker over the lunch hour and it looks like wal-mart raised the price overnight by 20$, which isn't much but is when you have four kids and this is kind of a luxury item anyway. looked at several alternatives around town but none were better than this one or what i already have, so the plan for now is to wait until next payday and then get it then.

of course, i looked pretty dejected as we walked out of the place - the only thing missing was a can to kick around to go along with the hands in the pockets, the hanging head and the shuffling gait....maybe she'll take pity on me and get it anyway; that will be a nice surprise for when a get home!

one bit of good news - pork shoulder was 98 cents/pound, so i grabbed one (7.5lb) and will be giving this thing a try this or next weekend. should be good!

Edited by TasunkaWitko

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 08:48

Ron,

You might try their sight to store option. I don't know much about it but my wife does that when an item is less expensive on their web page. Then you have it shipped to the store and don't have to pay shipping. Only draw back is you have to wait a few days.

Just a thought

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 09:07

Ron,  need your help soaking/smoking/cooking two wild boar this next week.  Wife is gone all week so I have a poker party Monday evening and plan on curing and smoking two large wild boar rear hams.

I want to debone them first.

Any and all curing recipes welcome.

I agree the charcoal thing takes better, but I'm decatant.....electric is my choice.

BEAR 

Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 09:08

randy -

that was my next idea but when i checked online a little while ago, the damn price at on walmart.com also went up by the same amount last night. i guess i should have written them a bum check yesterday?

138$ one day, 158$ the next - and during an "economic downturn," no less! i will survive and wait until the next payday, but it is a bit of a disappointment.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 19:40

Bear

I used to smoke hams all the time, this should get you started.

For each 25 lbs of ham

five quarts cold water

one pound salt (non iodized salt, pickling or kosher)

one cup powdered dextrose (you can use one and half cups brown sugar instead or I've used two cups maple syrup for sugar, two cups honey also works)

2/3 cup instacure #1 (sodium nitrite)

If you want to add spices such as ground clove, allspice, nutmeg, pepper or garlic you can add to brine before injecting, I try to not over do it but a little spice is good, I start with 1 tsp or so of one spice.

Mix this all together and inject hams to 10% of weight, I just use fl ozs, so 14 lb ham gets 2 to 2 1/2 cups injected (I've done up to 40lb hams off of big hog, brined for week and smoked for 3 days, smaller ones are better though)  Try to get it spread out so no pockets are formed.  If your going to bone them, I would roll them and put in stockinette or just tie with cotton twine.  Place hams in plastic bucket and cover with left over brine for 3-5 days in frig.( I usually end up having to make up more brine to cover, with boned out they may fit better in container and you may need less extra brine)

I take out ham and rinse and dry before smoking.

To smoke, I like low and slow,  120 for first 8-12 hrs (no smoke, draft open) then 140 for next 8-12hrs (hickory or maple smoke, draft half open) and finish at 165 (draft closed) until 150 - 155 is reached in center of ham.  With wild hog, I would cook to 160 if tricousis(sp) is a concern.

Ham is fully cooked and can be eaten as is, or if you want to stop at 140 you can finish cooking before serving.

I've had good luck with this and I personally prefer the maple smoked with the maple syrup cure and smoke.

I have also used this brine for bacon, just cut the instacure #1 to 1/3 cup and use less time smoking.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 02:44
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

Ron,  need your help soaking/smoking/cooking two wild boar this next week.  Wife is gone all week so I have a poker party Monday evening and plan on curing and smoking two large wild boar rear hams.

I want to debone them first.

Any and all curing recipes welcome.

I agree the charcoal thing takes better, but I'm decatant.....electric is my choice.

BEAR 

sorry, bear, i missed your post! looks like roberts advice is good! if you have any other questions, let me know and i will get some answers!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 06:09

Thanks Robert and Ron.

I just got back from my traplline.  Going to start deboning in one hour.

Can Insta-cure #1 (sodium nitrite)  be purchased in a large supermarket?  or is there another name or chemical I could substitue??

thanks

Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 09:41
i always use morton's tenderquick and would think that it could be a substitute, but i am not sure how much you would use. best guess would be to use as much as the instructions on the tenderquick package advises.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 09:44

good news - we "poked around in the couch cushions" and came up with a way to come up with the extra 20$. went up and purchased the smoker.

it's not often that i "blow" money on something that would be nice but don't really need - i gotta admit that i'm glad i did this time ~

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 14:27
You have to get Insta-cure #1 (sodium nitrite) from a butcher's supply, Mortons will work, I don't care for the taste of mortons myself (fake taste).  A lot of people use mortons tenderquick though, I don't like taste of mortons dry cure at all (has a fake smoke taste to me)
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 01:41
thanks gys.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 01:42
Well Ron now we can say "happy birthday" again now that you opened the presents
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 02:28

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 03:48
Tas, Just make sure you fire that thing up really hot and let all the manufacturing oil etc. burn off before you use it. That stuff is not conducive to good smoky flavor in your pork shoulder. Mmmmm, don't you just love that rust protectant aroma? Do I detect hints of 6013 welding flux or is that the essence of grinding wheel? Personally I favor the thread cutting oil marinade.  RD

Edited by Rockydog
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 05:19

already done, RD - in fact, i did tht last night and had a small problem. the firebox door must have gotten TOO hot, because the paint disappeared over a large portion of it. i have it rubbed down with oil for now and will repaint it if necessary, but i also sent an email to brinkmann asking for a replacement door.

looking forward to the first wmoke with this thing - i've gone ahead and named her "charlene...." why? because i figured my wife would get mad if i named it "Giada...."

Edited by TasunkaWitko

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 05:05
Does the fire go in the small compartment?
Mule
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 05:12
yep - the smoke and heat come up and travel along the large and out the smokestack....

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic