The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > Recipes, Cooking, Game Processing and Food in General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

looks like my wife loves me after all!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 11:54

Bear did you smoke those hams yet?   If you did, how did they come out, if not when?  We need a report and pics.

Edited by RobertMT
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 02:46

Sorry no pics I forgot.

First I trimmed away a lot of fat, and then deboned them.  Then I cured them 3.5 days using the sodium nitrite, sugar/salt, spices, etc.  Then I smoked them open (both sides got smoke since the bone was gone,  4 hours with the temp on 170 oF.

Then I tied them up with butchers twine, and enclosed 4 strips of bacon in each ham (inside the wrap).  I used bacon strips around the outside and them put them in the oven with a thermometer inside.  Bake pan was closed and I added a 1/2 inch of orange soda in the Bottom to keep them moist and control temperature in the roaster to 210 oF maximum.  In 45 minutes at 325 oF they thermometer read 175 and I took them out.  Tasted delicious.  Put them in 2 gallon zip-lock bags with orange soda around the outside and quick froze then.

My smoker is a water unit, but electrical with a temperature control.  that means less air as none is needed for the charcoal/fire.  I used wet hickory sawdust, and it smoked like a old shed.

RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 03:09

Sounds good, I hadn't thought of useing orange soda for glaze.  Did it give much orange flavor?  I bet that would be good on birds, maybe lemon lime soda on chicken. 

I updated my big propane smoker to an electrical with temp control also,  Masterbuilt http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard -item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A& amp;_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat570001-cat20120&id=00344255 16721a&navCount=2&podId=0034425&parentId=cat2012 0&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QX&am p;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS= true

before Christmass, got it from Bass Pro on sale for $149 shipped, unit went out the first time I used it, they stood behind it, but it took more than a month to get new unit, I've used it six or eight times since, it's about 5cft in size and works better than 25cft propane smoker for small batches.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 03:35

bear - that sounds completely delicious!

the orange pop is a great idea and well-suited for ham. as you know, i use dr. pepper for my rib mop, mixed with soy sauce. for soemthing lighter i've been thinking of using 7-up or maountain dew. now i am thinking a 7-up/orange pop on top of coutry style ribs.

keep em going!

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 09:07
Ron, keep in mind that "love" is just a four letter word. Nice smoker though. I am building one now, just a little bigger. I am using a propane tank from a tractor. Currently I am using a Brinkman upright charcoal burner. It works good, but doesn't call for the aromatic wood......................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 09:13

>>>Currently I am using a Brinkman upright charcoal burner. It works good, but doesn't call for the aromatic wood.<<<

if you're talking about the black R2D2 units, they work great with any wood of your choice - i do it all the time and made some damn good ribs and chicken with it last year:

those brinkmanns can do anythying the big boys can - just not as much of it!

Edited by TasunkaWitko

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Dave Skinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

AKA "Fast Eddie"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Skinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 13:46
Mmmmm. Slobber. Snif. Drool. Woof?
Up hills slow, down hills fast, tonnage first and safety last
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 03:34
I have a Texas shitload of split maple. I'll give it a try. Mine is an R2D2 unit, but it's green. In Memphis a few weeks ago, I saw one of those big green chinese eggs. The store was asking &800 for it. I hear that they are very efficient and easy to use. If it weren't for the fact that I fear that my round eyes would chink up, I'd buy one.............................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 03:40

i'm sure they're good, KP, but don't know too much about them. for 800 dolalrs they'd better come with a pretty little boat girl to do your laundry and give you you nightly massages.

i've made some really good stuff for a lot less. the R2D2 smoker cost me 30$ at wally-world. this new SnP (on the orginal post) was 138 the day before i bought it and 158 the day i bought it. i was a little pissed about that, but learned to survive.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic