The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > Art, Music and History - Cowboy Poetry and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Best performer of all time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best performer of all time?
    Posted: 20 March 2009 at 02:06

Just wondering who you think is or was the best performer of all time. No leanings toward style/type of music. Just stage presents.

I would have to lean toward Elvis. or even Micheal Jackson. Even if I was never a fan of Jacko I have to admit he had a hell of a show back in the 80-90's.

Hank Jr put on a hell of a show too.

Probebly the best concert I ever saw in person was April Wine 1980. Wow did they put on a show. ZZ Top was a close second. 2 hours of Eliminater songs , Then 2 hours of Afterburner songs, and it all sounded great.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
On the Highways for Jesus!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 05:46
 Trans Siberian Orchestra CHRISTmas tours.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 06:47

Tough to pick best.  But Ann Murray is way ahead of Elvis  or Jacko.

Elvis and MJ changed so many times.  old elvis (love me Tender)didn't even sound like  "blue Sweed Shoes" nor You ain't nothing but a hound dog".

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 07:06

MM,

Thats interesting you mentioned April Wine. I just saw them a couple of weeks ago in a local bar. All except the drummer were the original members. The drummer just retired a couple weeks before this show.

They still rocked, even after all these years.

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Montana Maddnes View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 09:10

Cool. They have always been one of my go to bands. When I just want to veg and listen to some nice rock and roll. Saw them on the Nature of The Beast tour. Bismark ND. 1980ish. Concert started with every light in the place going out and police style cherries spining all over the place. The only sound was this bell ringing like a fire station alarm of old. Then the place erupted in loud Rock And Roll. Incredible show. That old drummer put on a long incredible solo. Every light in the house out again, and he had sound or motion sensers or something in his drums. When he hit a drum or cymble it would flash a light in it. They were like a hot pink drum set. When he finish he stood up on his stool and did a flip over the drums landing on his feet down on the stage I bet the drums where on a four- five foot high riser. The place went wild for several min. Hell of a show!!

Ted Nugent rocked also. Same year. What I can I say. It was Ted, and he was being Ted. Extremly loud, and extremly fun. My ears wrang for three days

Rush. Early 80s in the ISU mini dome Poc. ID. What a great show that was too. Geddi and the boys never put on a bad show, but this one was real good.

So many concerts so little time.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 12:02
I don't have an opinion on this but my son is in the Navy and saw Wayne Newton in Naples Italy about 5 years ago. He expected an old geezer on stage but said he was totally blown away by the performance. This from a 22 year old at the time.  RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
gary murray View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 18:45
I think Grand Funk Railroad put on a helluva show back in the day. They blew Zeppelin off stage at Shea stadium.

Gary
If you can sue McDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?
Penticton, B.C. Canada
gary murray View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 18:49
Originally posted by Wing master Wing master wrote:

MM,

Thats interesting you mentioned April Wine. I just saw them a couple of weeks ago in a local bar. All except the drummer were the original members. The drummer just retired a couple weeks before this show.

They still rocked, even after all these years.

Wing master

Here's a pic of my friend Richard and Jerry Mercer who was the drummer from April Wine. They play in my small city from time to time.

Gary

If you can sue McDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?
Penticton, B.C. Canada
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 01:07

Loudest thing I ever heard was the lead singer from Judas Priest riding his straight piped Harley out on the stage, holding the mic down to the pipes and cranking up the motor. I felt like my feet were not touching the ground from the vibration. My ears are still ringing 28 years later.

I went to my share of concerts but after seeing Pink Floyd nothing else was worth seeing. Saw them at Texas Stadium in '87 and the Metrodome in '94. The production and sound quality achieved in acoustically challenged venues like that was phenonmenal.

DD

DD

Endeavor to persevere.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 03:01
i can't speak for the best performer bcause i haven't been to too many live shows, but we did see ricochet back in 2006. i must say tha these guys busted their butts off to put on a hell of a show even though they were in a small po-dunk town in the middle of montana. great music, kept the crowd involved and it wasn't just a re-hashing of all their old hits, even though they did do a lot of those, too!
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
8Bits View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8Bits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 16:39

Elvis was certainly one heck of a performer bar none!

However, I liked Tom Jones a lot, he had a bit of Elvis in him too I think. He put on a very good show.

Sons Of The Pioneers was a great group that performed to many a stage and still does today at Branson, MO.

Frank Sinatra was a great performer too!

Tony Bennet is certaily no slouch by any means, the guy is still singing great and making alblums at 80 years young.

Edited by 8Bits
Thank A Veteran For Your Freedom!
Montana Maddnes View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 02:04

All great performers, and great stage presants. Forgot Johnny Cash also.

I'm just a bit young to truely be a fan of Frank or Tony, but do know they are greats.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
big open View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big open Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 11:21
Patsy Cline on sound alone!,,never to be duplicated,,that lee ann whats 'er face didn't even come close!
LIFE IS HARD.....STUPID MAKES LIFE HARDER.......DON'T DO STUPID!!!
soggyshooter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggyshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 11:50
KISS, Pink Floyd, AC-DC.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 13:18

CHARLEY DANIELS ..........never saw him live BUT he put on many, many shows in Iraq for the troops since 2003 & I heard on his nickle.

And per my son who was there.....Charley stayed around after the performance and signed pictures for the soldiers until everyone of them had gone past.. that signing lasted longer than the performance....A great man so say some.

See Charley here signing my son's "trophy" picture of Charley and the band in 2005 or 06 in IRAQ.  Now that is a tuff act for any performer to follow......

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 13:29
Pasy Cline as was mentioned, Elvis, as was mentioned, and Web Pierce all set the standard for their typoes of music..............Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 13:35
WELL KP.......YUH GOT THIS ONE RIGHT!  did you see the time life TV commercial offering the country hits dvds? 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
daniel77 View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 11:02
I haven't seen that many live performances personally, but I can tell you one of the WORST is David Allen Coe. Waited in line a while to get front row seating at a standing room only bar concert in college. I could smell the nasty b@stard from 20 ft away, and he was so drunk he could hardly do his sets. Saw him another time and it wasn't much better. Don't waste your money.

Edited by daniel77
Am I gonna have to shoot that for you?
Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 13:29
daniel, That sounds familiar. I went to see Gordon Lightfoot in 1972 or 73. Show as delayed for over 1/2 hour. Then theater management announced that the show as off due to old Gordy being "ill". My tickets were near the front so it took a while to empty the theater. There was just a handfull of us left when a hell of an arguement occured on stage as the crew was packing up. Lightfoot appeared on stage cussing and yelling and sat down on a folding chair with an acoustic guitar to play. He was yelling for us to come back, security was crowding us toward the door in a rather rude fashion, total bedlam was breaking out among the concert goers. Later that night he was seen sitting in with the house band at the Holiday Inn, playing the drums, still drunk as hell. I never bought another of his albums. I didn't know it at the time but I guess I was following the tenets of what's come to be known as Kingpinism.  RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 11:31
I don't need to buy the time life stuff, I owned many of them before Time Life ever thought about it......................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic