The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedDaily Sportsmen’s Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 03:26
$Account.OrganizationName
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 9, 2010
Today's Photograph.... Flock of Geese, Aleutian Islands (NWS)

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 150:6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD. (NIV)

Thoughts
On a recent trip to Canada, we spent six days in a row scouting and hunting for geese. The more we did it, the better we got. The more you do anything, the better you get at it. Unfortunately, that goes for good and bad habits.

How simple, direct, and to the point that verse is. Yet, I sit here admitting to myself that I rarely put God first in my life. The first step toward fixing a problem is to admit there is one. So there you go, I just put it out in the open. God has never let me down, so I need to raise him up!
(Jim C)

Action Point
Make it a point to have time every day for God. Reading his word, taking a moment to say thanks, or merely having a pleasing thought about what he continually provides for you. I am talking to myself as much as to all of you right now. God is good, realize it, and profess it!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
When scouting for birds, always use a good pair of binoculars. When a field of birds catches your eye, chances are that by using those binoculars you will see more than with your naked eye. Thus, you will have a better sense of how many birds are really using that field.

God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 03:01
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 10, 2010
Today's Photograph.... American Black Duck (NWS)

Bible Study Verse
Ecclesiastes 3:1
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven. (NIV)

Thoughts
We are now right in the middle of hunting season. I love this time of year. It's a time to give and a time to give back. In October I had an incredible time hunting waterfowl in Canada. We had an amazing harvest and also received the chance to give back to the community in which we hunted. We were thrilled to give the gift of fresh duck and goose meat to many locals who enjoyed us being there.
(Jim C)

Action Point
Never pass up the opportunity to give back to individuals who allow you to hunt their property or their community. Take a young person from that community with you and/or give some of your game to someone. It's a way to give and give back. That will enrich your season.

Always and without exception leave an area that you have permission to hunt cleaner than you found it. People learn more from what you do than what you say.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 22:40
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 11, 2010
Today's Photograph.... Souvenir of God's Intervention (Marshall M)

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 18:1-2
I love you, Lord; you are my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. (NLT)

Thoughts
Many years ago I had the privilege to hunt with some very experienced law enforcement professionals that were also friends. A state trooper, a fish and game officer, and a deputy sheriff were just part of this group. On an extended out-of-state hunt we stopped on the way at a secure location to do a last minute sight-in before we entered our hunting unit.

I had brought two rifles of a similar caliber a 270 and a 7mm. With two firearms instructors supervising and looking on with literally hundreds of shooting range hours between us, I inadvertently placed the wrong cartridge in a rifle and pulled the trigger. Instantly we all knew something was wrong, the bullet left the gun, but it made a ricochet sound like a movie sound effect. The back blast of powder from the shell exploding hit my face and covered my shooting glasses.

Everyone rushed to my side as I had powder burns on my forehead and cheek, but was otherwise fine. My safety/sunglasses had saved my eye and God had done the rest.
(Marshall M)

Action Point
The Bible is full of instructions and warnings for our spiritual safety. But, unfortunately many times we ignore God's word for our own desires and it's just easier to cut corners. We rationalize and justify our actions with excuses and delusional logic.

This can be a dangerous way to live especially since accidents can happened to the most experienced of us at any time in all aspects of our lives. It's never too late to set up your own spiritual safety net. Find a Christian men's group and an accountability partner and do not neglect the basics: devotions, bible study, prayer, worship, and fellowship.

Wear safety glasses, they no longer have to be the heavy bulky kind we had back in the day. They come in all shapes, sizes, weights, and styles. You can get them in prescription, readers, bifocals, sunglasses and even transitions. Wear them, because accidents happen.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 22:25
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 12, 2010
Today's Photograph.... In Search of Food (Marshall M)

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 6:33
Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. (NLT)

Thoughts
A few years ago my life was a very scheduled event. I was working and going to school fulltime while trying to balance family time. Many days were hectic and the only time I got to spend with my sons was taking an evening stroll.

We lived in a city of 600,000 at the edge of the mountains and would take our dog Nala out for a walk. We observed just about every animal in the Rocky Mountains inside the city limits during those walks. It was then that we prayed, discussed their day, the future, the past, and, of course, the animals we saw.
(Marshall M)

Action Point
Jesus understood what it was like to be busy with the demands of responsibility. He took time to pray and seek counsel from his Heavenly Father. This relationship Jesus had with His Dad was his highest priority.

God wants us to seek His kingdom first. Make it our highest priority, and the rest of life's responsibilities will be handled by Him.

When you encounter wildlife in an urban environment always assume that the animals are wild. Use the same precautions as you would in the woods. Most often animals that come into the city are looking for food. Be alert to possible food sources in and around your home including securing your trash.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 22:28
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 13, 2010
Today's Photograph.... River to Canoe (Dave M)

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 6:19-21
"Don't store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be." (NLT)

Thoughts
There were some rules and guidelines that I taught my sons about canoeing on the rivers of Alaska. One was never bring anything along that you did not want to get wet or were not prepared to have setting at the bottom of the river. However, sometimes I don't always practice what I teach.

My son and I were floating down a swift area of river and up ahead a large "sweep" (a tree or tree limbs that block the access of the river) was looming in front of us. Our plan was to land and port around the obstruction. Just as we were maneuvering the canoe toward shore, my favorite hat blew off. I instinctively grabbed for it and then maneuvered a quick stroke adjustment to retrieve my beloved hat. My son unaware of my actions was still doing his best to paddle us to shore. My error caused the canoe to spin and well . . . we crashed in just a few seconds into the sweep. Then the sweep swept and splash, we were in the water!

We managed to get ourselves and most of our equipment out of the river safely, but my son still teases me about my hat that sunk a canoe. I never did find that hat again.
(Marshall M)

Action Point
Jesus isn't saying that earthly treasures are bad. He's saying we should not make the accumulation of earthly treasures the main focus of life! The reason why, they won't last. Moths eat through even the most expensive clothing. Rust ruins the strongest metal. Even today, cars get old! Clothing gets worn out! Ipods get stolen! Hats end up in rivers!

What exactly are these treasures that we have in heaven? I Peter 1:4 says that we will be storing up for ourselves an inheritance that can never perish, spoil, or fade. I don't know exactly what that is, but it sounds pretty cool! I'm looking forward to my heavenly inheritance!

Prepare an emergency bag that contains fire starters, first-aid materials, and a dry change of clothes for each person in the canoe. The bag should be waterproof and accessible.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 22:38
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 14, 2009
Today's Photograph....Ice When You're Steelhead Fishing Is A Curse (Ron T)

Bible Study Verse
Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, (ESV)

Thoughts
Ice in a cold drink on a hot summer day is a blessing. Ice on the leader or the guides of a fly rod when you're steelhead fishing is a curse. Unless you enjoy the challenge of casting line whose diameter has been tripled by ice buildup, you'd better devise a way to keep the ice off your line. The fish might be biting, but you'll be too busy breaking ice off your line and guides to get in on the action.
(Matt F)

Action Point
What weight or sin in your life is like unwanted ice on a cold day fishing? What bad things "cling closely" to you? What hinders and keeps you from running the raced of life unencumbered? In the power of Christ, you can find the strength to lay those things aside. Today, trust in him. Give him the weight and the sin.

Several marketed products and homemade remedies exist to deal with ice freezing to fishing guides and line. Search internet fishing forums and product reviews to discover what will work best.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 00:13
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 15, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Snapping Turtle (USGS)

Bible Study Verse
I Chronicles 12:32a
Of Issachar, men who had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do. (ESV)

Thoughts
"Snapping turtle" is self explanatory; a turtle that snaps. Having seen and inadvertently stepped on my share of them, I read with interest an article about a fellow in our state who enjoys noodling for snapping turtles.

"Noodling" is the process of running your hand underwater along a stream or pond bank, and literally grabbing with your hands whatever, usually catfish, is burrowed in the mud.

Well, this guy grabs snapping turtles by feeling his way along an undercut bank. Not surprisingly, the key is knowing which way the turtle is turned. The front of the shell is smooth. The rear has jagged edges. He recommends, "You definitely want the rear." I'll take his word for it.
(Matt F)

Action Point
I love what this verse says about the men of Issachar. They "understood the times." They "knew what ought to be done." Indeed, they knew "which way the turtle is turned."

God is calling us to discernment. As followers of Jesus, we should emulate the men Issachar:

• To know what needs to be done.
  • To know where the danger is.
  • To know which way the turtle is turned.

Know and obey the regulations in your state that govern the habitat and conservation of reptile species. Carelessly and needlessly killing a snake, a lizard, or other reptile species is not only poor stewardship, it might be against the law.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 02:26
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 16, 2010
Today's Photograph...To Warn (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. (ESV)

Thoughts
Hunters and highway workers. . . those are two groups with whom we universally associate fluorescent orange with. It's also referred to as "hunter orange."

With the recent purchase of my hunting license, I received my book of regulations. I reacquainted myself with the laws about fluorescent orange.

A law can become a life saver. There's nothing more comforting than "sticking out like a sore thumb," when you're walking through the woods full of high powered rifle equipped hunters.
(Matt F)

Action Point
God gives us the desire to love and please him. When we are in a right relationship with God, obediently following His commandments brings freedom. As John writes, are "not burdensome."

What is God asking of you today? Are his commandments burdensome or comforting? Freeing and joyfully obeyed?

A tied or velcroed orange band around a tree when you're standing still, is an effective way to warn other hunters when you're hunting turkeys or other species sensitive to color. A good idea, in general, and is required in some states.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 01:54
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 17, 2010
Today's Photograph.... Portrait of a Hunter at Cabelas (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
John 14:6
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (ESV)

Thoughts
Have you ever been around the hunter who knows everything, seen everything, and has done everything? There are hunters who are serious, have accomplished much, and have done it with a humble heart. Then there is the guy who talks more than he should and is boastful about what little he truly has done.

Hunter's opinions vary depending on who is talking. Hunting is filled with many variables and the conditions are always changing, including the techniques offered up by the most recent of hunting magazines. There are many ways to bag a trophy animal. Some work and others don't.
(Michael T)

Action Point
In contrast, Jesus says there is only one way to get to Heaven through a personal relationship with Him.

In this day and age, there are many people who believe in pluralism (multiple ways to get to Heaven). But, the Bible is very clear that no one can come to the Father, except through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Read the Gospel of John for a better understanding.

Many outdoorsmen take advantage of God's creation during the winter months. Be careful to avoid frozen rivers and ponds. If you find yourself falling into icy cold water, resist, and take violent action immediately upon hitting the water. Swim to shore and then roll in the snow to absorb the water. Find shelter or get into a dry kit as soon as possible (Adapted from John Wiseman's, SAS Survival Handbook).

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 02:22
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 18, 2010
Today's Photograph.... A Blood Curdling Roar Shook The Dark Timber (USFWS)

Bible Study Verse
James 1:2-4
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (ESV)

Thoughts
It was cold, dark, and dreary day. The sky wanted to snow, but it held back for some unknown reason. Not that it mattered, because today was already turning out to be one of the hardest and worst days of his life. Would he have enough endurance? Would he have the will to do whatever it took to continue?

The pains from his injuries were increasing with each and every step. The steep mountain terrain didn't help matters, and the mossy, dark timber made navigation even more difficult. If he made it out alive, he would have to navigate nearly two miles of rough terrain in order to reach safety.

On three different occasions, he lay down in the snow and prayed that the Lord would take him home. On this day, God had a different plan for this sixty-eight year old wounded hunter.

Gene Moe was in the process of field dressing a Sitka black tail deer on Raspberry Island, Alaska when a seven hundred and fifty pound Kodiak bear approached the perimeter without warning. The distracted hunter, busily focused on the task at hand, was unaware of the lurking danger. A blood-curdling roar bellowed from the bear that shook the dark timber. The surprised hunter wheeled around with a heart and liver in one hand, and a 3 3/4 inch folding Buck knife in the other. A battle of epic proportions would soon take place pitting man against beast.

To be continued tomorrow . . .
(Michael T)

Action Point
As we begin another year, it is important for each of us to spend time in prayer and reading our Bibles. Life is an adventure. It can be an exciting experience and a bold undertaking with various trials and seasons of blessing.

Nobody knows what the coming year will hold, but each of us should surround our families in prayer and study so that we can bring glory to God in every circumstance.

When hunting in areas that have dangerous animal populations such as mountain lions or grizzly bears, be prepared. Hunt in pairs and always keep your firearms within reach. Contact the local ranger station or DNR, Department of Natural Resources, office near your favorite hunting grounds for up-to-date information on how to deal properly with an attacking animal.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 02:37
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 19, 2010
Today's Photograph.... Bear Country (Steve S)

Bible Study Verse
James 1:12
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. (ESV)

Thoughts
The bear was quick to strike, and Gene Moe found his arm in a vice grip. The giant Kodiak bit into his right arm, just above the elbow, and didn't want to let go.

He fought back, as best as he could, and began to hit and jab his fingers into the bear's ear. This was enough to loosen the bear's clenched teeth. He was able to pull his arm free. A wrestling match ensued and the old hunter found out the hard way that he was in the wrong weight class. The bear easily sent him flying to the ground.

The hungry, determined sow rose up on her hind legs circling her prey waiting to deliver the knock-out punch. Familiar with bear behavior, Gene was ready for the swipe of her claw. The bear missed, but not without slicing his earlobe in the process. Immediately, the frustrated bear dropped to all fours and knocked him flat on his back.

Using his heavy boots he kicked up as hard as he could into the bear's chest. The bear rolled to the side and he sprung to his feet before the bear could get up. The female, who was extremely unhappy that someone would try to stand in the way of dinner, came barreling back at him. She managed to bite into his right leg, just above the knee.

Fighting through the intense pain, he was able to wrap his arms around the head of the deranged beast and began stabbing and slicing into the bear's neck and vertebrae with his knife.

Surprised by this sudden attack, the bloody bear moved just outside of the battle torn arena. Determined to beat down this wounded man, the evil one took one last charge in hopes of finishing off her prey. After crying out to God for help, Gene was now armed with a new boldness and confidence. He took on the bear and stood his ground. He did not retreat. His left fist smacked the angry sow square in the nose. The impact from his punch forced the bear to the ground, where her nose burrowed into the moss, which never flinched as he put two bullets into his adversary.
(Michael T)

Action Point
If you are faced with a trial of some kind, how will you handle it? Will you be defeated or will you stand firm? Will your attitudes and actions bring honor and glory to God the Father?

Only by the grace of God did Gene make it down the mountain. He required massive amounts of treatment and surgery to put his body back together. It was a difficult ordeal for this Christian man to go through, but Jesus Christ sustained him through it all. He was able to remain steadfast through his terrifying ordeal. As a result, God is using his story and personal testimony to bring honor and glory to Him.

Purchase a small first aid kit that you can keep in your backpack. Find some old t-shirts and cut them into long strips to be used as tourniquets. Also, remember that many of your pack items can be used in treating wilderness wounds. Be creative if a situation arises, you can always replace it later.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 01:30
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 20, 2010
Today's Photograph.... Crazy Horse Monument, South Dakota (Ron T)

Bible Study Verse
Ephesians 3:20-21
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (NIV)

Thoughts
My pastor's Dad had a big imagination. His dream was to take a mountain and blast away all the rock to reveal a giant sculpture of a famous Indian chief. Not only did his dream include the sculpture, but also a museum, a university, and much more. He knew his dream was so big that it could not be completed in his generation or even his children's generation. Yet, he started blasting rock off the mountain anyway.

The sculpture itself is the largest in the world. Just the head is 9 stories tall which doesn't include the horse he's sitting on. The whole thing will be 3- dimensional. It's big!
(Ron T)

Action Point
As big as that dream is, God is able to do immeasurably more. More than we can even imagine.

Go ahead and imagine something big! Once you've done that, read the verse again. God can do more than what you have just imagined. Not only more, but you can't even measure how much more.

Sometimes, it hard for us to grasp things we can't measure. But, if you meditate on this verse, God will reveal its meaning. It will change your life.

When sharpening your knife, it is important to get the right angle on the stone. Take a marker and color in the bevel on the blade on both sides. All the ink should be gone when you are done. If it is gone, you got the correct angle.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 03:32
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 21, 2010
Today's Photograph.... Scream Like A School Girl & Run As Fast As You Can (Ron T)

Bible Study Verse
Deuteronomy 31:6
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (NIV)

Thoughts
This is a sight you don't want to see when walking through the woods. The first impulse might be to scream like a school girl and run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. But, after a quick prayer and self-discipline you calm down. Remember, running is the worst thing to do. Deer and elk run. It's not always real successful for them.

When you are in lion country, you want to have a game plan thought out. If you encounter a lion, try and look as big as possible, throw rocks, sticks or whatever is handy, talk to the lion in a calm, yet firm voice, and back away slowly.
(Ron T)

Action Point
If fear sets in and takes over, a person does not always act rationally.

Thankfully, God did not give us a spirit of fear. Read II Timothy 1:7; He gave us a spirit of power, so we are able to overcome fear when it shows up. In Proverbs 3, God said to use sound judgment and have no fear.

The Lord will be our confidence. You and I need to remember that when we get into fearful situations.

There is nothing more embarrassing then checking fishing licenses and having your feet slip out from under you on the ice. After learning the lesson the hard way, I don't go on the ice without shoe chains or ice cleats. They are pretty cheap and slip right over your boots.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 04:12
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 22, 2010
Today's Photograph.... Tiger Trout (Ron T)

Bible Study Verse
Mark 4: 26-29
He also said, "This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. All by itself the soil produces grain-first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come." (NIV)

Thoughts
I have never been much of a farmer, but nevertheless, I really relate to this scripture. When I stock fingerling trout or bass in a small stock dam or mountain pond, return to that water some time later, cast in a spinner, and pull out a 12-to-14in fish, I am always amazed.

I know it's supposed to work that way, but I'm amazed every time just the same.
(Ron T)

Action Point
Whether you're scattering seeds or fish, when the conditions are right, they are going to grow.

It is the same for God's Word. I think of the seeds of truth planted in my own life before I became a Christian. They didn't seem that important at first. But, over time I began to think about the words, understood their meaning, and how they applied to my life. I am so thankful to the laborers that God calls on to sow His Seed.

Now that I am a Christian, it is my job to share the Good News with others. "He (Jesus) said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned,' " Mark 16:15-16 (NIV).

It's important to keep your fly line clean so it will pass through the eyes of the rod easily. You can buy fly line cleaner at most sporting good stores or you can use Armor-all. I use it on my line-- it's inexpensive, does a good job, and I usually keep a bottle in the garage.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 23:57
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 23, 2010
Today's Photograph.... I Love Pretending To Be A Farmer (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 13:4-8
As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop-a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. (TNIV)

SD has moved photo hosting to Flickr. Should the photo not appear, go to control panel, security, internet options, trusted sites, and type in Flickr. This will add it as a trusted site and allow viewing of the photo.

Thoughts
I love pretending to be a farmer for a few days and working on food plots. There is just something rewarding about working the ground, planting seeds, and seeing the fruits of the labor. Not to mention in the fall when I'm sitting in the tree stand watching the deer and animals coming to eat the plants.

Over the years of planting food plots there have been many frustrations and successes. One thing that I have learned is that the better prepared the ground, the better the chances are for success. The challenge with that comes in trying to plant food plots in less than ideal conditions and with limited equipment.
(Ross G)

Action Point
God calls Christians to be farmers. He desires that as we are out in the fields of life we are spreading His good news to the people we come in contact with. I Corinthians 3:6-7 tells us if we are faithful in spreading His word, God will take care of the growth: "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow," (TNIV).

One of my all time favorite quotes is from St. Francis of Assisi, "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."

When you combine the above two quotes, the message is clear. With word and action proclaim the Gospel message and leave the rest to God.

When purchasing seeds for food plots, don't feel like you have to buy the expensive stuff with pictures of deer on them. Another option is to go down to a local co-op and talk with them about what you are doing to see if they may have something a lot cheaper that will attract wildlife.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 00:05
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 24, 2010
Today's Photograph.... A Friend at Camp (Cliff S)

Bible Study Verse
1 Peter 3:15-16
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. (TNIV)

Thoughts
Hunting/fishing camp is something we look forward to. We eagerly anticipate its coming and count the days until it finally arrives. In part, we can't wait to take a break from everyday life to enjoy the great outdoors.

Another reason is that we look forward to the "camp" experience. It's exciting to reconnect with everyone who comes to "camp". More than merely seeing each other, we want to sit around the campfire and hear about each other's lives.

We also want to come back after each day in the outdoors and talk about our individual experiences. It's like bringing others to the stand or stream with us and allowing them to catch a glimpse of what happened to us. We also want to join others in the adventure of their day. Sharing life stories enriches the "camp" experience.
(Ross G)

Action Point
While it is wonderful to share our outdoor experiences with others, we need to remember we are each a part of a bigger and more exciting story. The real story of what God is doing and has done in our lives. He is a huge part of all that happens to us.

Next time you are at "camp", be sure to include God in your conversations. Even a small comment like, "Did you see the sunrise God painted this morning," can open others' eyes and hearts to what God is doing all around us. God loves being at "camp" too!

Record video, take pictures, or write notes about your experiences in the field. You will then be able to share them with others and remember them for years to come.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 00:18
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 25, 2010
Today's Photograph.... When Deer Shed Their Velvet, Their Testosterone Is Changing (Ross G)

Bible Study Verse
Philippians 3:12-14
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (TNIV)

Thoughts
This is the time of the year when it is really fun to see the trail camera pictures. In the beginning of the summer when the racks were just beginning to grow, you could catch a glimpse at what they might be this year. Now their racks are pretty much full grown for the year. They were in velvet and they are now done. The next step for them is to shed the velvet and become hard horned. At that point, they can no longer grow. In fact when they shed the velvet, they actually shrink.
(Ross G)

Action Point
As we read the verses above from Paul, we are reminded that until we reach heaven we are never done growing. We will not attain our true potential until we reach heaven.

While we are here on earth, we are called to be continually growing, to be leaving behind the things that keep us from God, and to be striving to be more like Jesus in all that we do.

Examine your life. Is there an area where God is calling you to grow so you can be more like Jesus?

When deer shed their velvet, their testosterone is changing as well. This usually causes them to change their patterns within about a week of shedding the velvet. They begin to change from their summer patterns to their fall patterns. This means if you saw them in same place all summer they didn't just disappear, but changed their routines. When they make this transition, they typically move a lot less during daylight hours.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 03:17
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4304734033_77e5f85950_o. jpg
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 26, 2010
Today's Photograph...It Is Early Alarms Clocks & 16-hour Days (Yvonne M)

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 12:11
The one who works his land will have plenty of food, but whoever chases fantasies lacks sense. (HCSB)

Thoughts
I get bogged down in a rut during the summer when I fish nearly every day of the month in the scorching Texas heat.

Many people think life as a charter captain is a "gravy" job. However, in reality, it is early alarms clocks and 16-hour days.

Temperatures reaching the century mark sometimes drain your will and "want to" for the next sunrise. It is a grind during the summer when school is out, people are on vacation, fish are biting, and everyone wants to fish.
(Bink G)

Action Point
Everyone gets tired or fatigued from his or her job. When I am exhausted from 20 straight days of fishing, I first thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to work and earn a living. Things could be much worse: I could be sitting at home wishing and waiting for someone to call and book a fishing trip.

Thank Jesus today for prosperity and ask Him to heap more blessing on you and your family. Blessings come from honoring Him in everything, even when you are tired.

Drink plenty of fluids the day before you plan to fish, especially if it is going to be really hot. Drink water, even when you are not thirsty, to hydrate. Trust me.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 03:21
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 27, 2010
Today's Photograph.... It Is Important That We Do Not Fall In To The Trap Of One-Up-Manship (Ross G)

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 12:23
A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly. (NIV)

SD has moved photo hosting to Flickr. Should the photo not appear, go to control panel, security, internet options, trusted sites, and type in Flickr. This will add it as a trusted site and allow viewing of the photo.

Thoughts
He never even stopped to look! As I pulled into the parking space of the general store before returning to camp, the young man approached. With wild eyes and arms flailing in the air, he began telling me the story of his exploits in the woods, how he finally managed to harvest the biggest buck in the hunting unit, and that the rest of us should just pack up and go home.

All I could do was to listen. Any attempt to sneak a word in during one of his few inhalation pauses would have been met with an elevated tone that would drown out anything I might have said. At the end of his rather lengthy dissertation, I was barely able to offer congratulations before he moved to the next unsuspecting, camouflage-clothed, firearm-carrying person who happened to be stopping for gas.

He never noticed the buck under the canopy in the bed of my truck, even larger than the one he'd described.
(Brett M)

Action Point
We have all met people like this, boasters. As sportsmen, we love to sit around the campfire and share stories of our favorite outdoor adventures. This is a time-tested tradition handed down by our ancestors before the invention of writing instruments. It is one of the greatest ways to pass on lessons learned, hard knocks, successful practices, and amusing anecdotes.

However, it is important that we do not fall in to the trap of "one-up-manship". You know what I mean--the ability to elevate ourselves just a little bit higher than the other person. Often a self- indulgent attempt to inflate one's ego.

Remember: all we do, we do for God's glory, not for man's. Trying to prove our worth or capabilities generally does not impress others and certainly does not impress God. God enjoys a humble spirit and quiet confidence that encourages others.

During transport of your harvest, be modest and do your best to keep it out-of-view of others who may not share your enthusiasm.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 03:00
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 28. 2010
Today's Photograph....See The Footprints and Fingerprints Of God (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Revelation 1:17-18
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. (NIV)

Thoughts
Buried a dear friend today. The seasoned old hunter, Jack, lost his battle with his heart. He had a heart attack while hunting and never fully recovered. He was eighty-one.

Strange as it sounds, I'm not that sad. Sure, I will miss him. He was a dear friend, a mentor to me, and sang in the choir that I led at church. But, I'm not sad. You see, Jack met Jesus Christ as a young man and since his life was filled with the marks of God.

You might look at a deer across a field, go to where it had been standing, and see its tracks. As you look, you would know that beautiful deer made those tracks.

The same was true with Jack. You could look at his life and see the footprints and fingerprints of God. His life was a field and the tracks of our Lord were all over it. Jack is now with Jesus and will be forever. He has gone to his true home--a home with his God.
(Brian H)

Action Point
Sadly, few people give God a second thought until they are attending the funeral of a loved one. They go their own way until a death snaps them to the realization that they are indeed mortal and will also face a casket someday.

The good news for the Christian is that Jesus holds the keys to death and the grave. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, death is only a doorway into your true home.

If you don't know Jesus, please consider asking Him to make your life count. Ask Him to give your life purpose and direction. Ask Him to save you and make your true home to be with Him. We will all spend eternity somewhere. Why not make it in heaven with Jesus? To know more about becoming a Christian, check out this link to our website: http: //sportsmensdevotional.com/prayer.htm. May God bless you as you seek Him.

Practice your running shots with either bow or rifle by attaching a target to a tire. Then have a buddy roll the tire down an incline. You can practice leading game at different distances. Make sure you give the tire ample time to get downhill and away from your buddy. Never shoot his direction.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
  Share Topic