The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SouthPaws > The Left-Handed Sportsman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

My guns as a Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lastmohecken View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lastmohecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My guns as a Lefty
    Posted: 01 September 2007 at 07:11
Yes, it's funny how that works sometimes. As a kid I wished for a left handed bolt action, being stuck with using my dad's old swedish mauser, but after several years I guess it finally stuck and I found that the left handed boltactions felt awarkard and I could never seem to make the transition. However, I  am glad that some companys do make them so that other leftys can have a chance to use a gun made for them.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2007 at 17:45

Hey There Mohecken

Welcome to the BSB always good th see in comin' folks.  I'm not lefty but my wife is,she shoots a right handed Browning A Bolt and loves it. I tried really hard earlier this year to get her into a lefty but it was no use. I took her to a few shops and she handled Tikka's and Brownings,no good she loves her rifle and she basicly said to lay off,I learned to lay off while it's safe a long time ago.

Funny thing about levers she doesn't care for any of my centerfires, a Winy 88,a Ruger 96 and a Savage 99 but her favorite .22 is and old JC Higgens Mod 47. Hey she's my best huntin' what can I say.

God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Lastmohecken View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lastmohecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2007 at 16:26

This is my first post, being a lefty I thought  I would share some of my choices for firearms. If you are a lefty, then you know how fustrating it can be, sometimes living in a righthanded world, when it comes to guns. Still yet, I have found most everthing I need or want, within reason, as long as I am willing to adjust a little.

My favorite rifles are leveractions, most work about a well lefthanded as right handed and I have found the old Browning BLRs with the steel receivers to be about as accurate as most bolt actions.

As far a boltactions go, I grew up using righthanded bolts, and just run the bolt with my right hand even from the shoulder about as fast as all but the fastest righthanders. Personally, I prefer the righthand boltactions because I have gotten so used to seeing the open action on that side of any gun.

Shotguns, I prefer double barrel side by sides, but have several Semi-autos all righthanded, I just convert all of my crossbolt safetys over to lefthand and I get along fine, but it does cost money to do that, still it has made it possible for me to enjoy guns like Browning A5's and others.

Pistols, I usually stick with automatics that have amadextrous safetys or get guns that can be converted to ambi-safetys. I shoot Colt type 1911's, Browning Hi-powers, and others.

Of course Revolvers usually work pretty good, for lefthanded people. I have several of them.

But some guns are just totaly unfriendly for leftys, I usually pass on Them. And of course getting a good lefty holster is a real PITA sometimes. I have often had to special order those.

Edited by Lastmohecken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic