The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SouthPaws > The Left-Handed Sportsman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

custom varmint rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: custom varmint rifle
    Posted: 23 November 2006 at 02:15
Well I have recently acquired a left hand Mini Mauser action, it's was intended to be for the .223, but mine will be barrelled for the .204, Was excited at first as I picked this up for 300.00 and started thinking what I wanted to do with it! the dealer I receive shipment through told me they weren't that great an action, So with some disappointment I contacted kingpin for his view on this action and his opinion greatly improved my thoughts of what I had bought, then this morning while surfing the web found that the reason they are no longer available, Remington is importing them to use in the 799! so now I'm excited again about building me a custom 204 based on this action! I may have found a local gunsmith capable of doing the work! already know what stock I'll mount it on! need to decide on a scope and a barrel maker, WHOOOO HOOOO finally get to do something I've always wanted to do! I'll post pics as the project develops!

Edited by crazy2medic
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 04:36

Crazy;

A couple of things to be aware of with that action.  When the bolt is fully retracted, the rear bridge has a hard time supporting it because of the bridge's narrow length.  Consequently, it's not at all unheard of to have feeding problems with these actions.  Particularly when working the bolt rapidly.  Check your's, looking for how much slop there is between the locking lugs of the bolt & the rear bridge races.  If there's much vertical bolt play with the bolt retracted, you're going to have to make a decision.  Find a better action, or pay a good riflesmith to build up the lugs & polish to fit, then re-machine & fit the locking recesses in the barrel.  Not cheap.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
crazy2medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2006 at 00:10

Actually took possesion of it yesterday! yes the bolt is a tad sloppy, first order of business is to find a good gunsmith, it needs to be blued and will discuss any additional ideas with him!

this thread will float to the top periodically as the project develops!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 08:34
Ordered the barrel for this project, super match grade pac-nor in chrome moly, 1-12 twist chambered and bored for a .204 ruger ordered the #6 sporter barrel whick gives me a nominal dia. of .750 at the muzzle and 1.150 at the chamber end, 26" long and will have our resident gunsmithing genius (yes, I'm buttering him up) take it to 25" and crown it! kingpin if you read this I'm six weeks from sending this to ya!
OK hunter View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2007 at 13:15
Tell me more about Remington bringing this LH action in on the 799.  I was under the impression the 799 was a long action.  Am I wrong on this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2007 at 21:15
remington isn't using the left hand version, only the right as far as I know! it's a short action designed for the .223 based cartridges, was imported by interarms/charles daly until remington started importing them! they are usually refered to as mini mausers.
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 00:53

OK;

True story on Remington.  What happened is that the Charles Daly Co. imported the Zastava mini-Mauser's.  For a very short time, the LHB action was available through Daly in either bare, barreled action, or as a complete gun.

Then Remington bowed to the market pressure to sell a Mauser action type gun.  Rather than produce their own, they out-bid Daly for the right to import the Zastava's from the country formerly known as Yugoslavia.  Of course, Remmie is only going to import what they feel is best for their bottom line.  No lefties need apply at this time.

Those of us who have a Daly marked LHB mini have a fairly rare bird.  I should contact Daly & try to find out just how many LHB mini's came into the country under their name.  Bet it's only a very few hundred.

900F

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 23:45
Well the barrel arrived yesterday from pacnor, super match grade in chromemoly, bored and chambered for .204ruger, now the action and the barrel will be sent off to kingpin! I have already ordered a stock from Richards. project has reached stage two!
Bohica View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 06:53

I have several of the little lefty Mini actions. I have done quite a few into nice sporters with little or no problems. I am working on two right now. One is a 17 Mach 4 [XX Koa]and the other a 6mm PPC[XXX Maple]. I will agree the triggers need a bit of work and polishing is a given. BUT! What are you going to do? Buy a Sako 461? I know a guy who ,right now, is sitting in Spain trying to get an import license to import over 300 of the little Vixens and 600+ lbs of parts for the same left over from the Bosnia thing. I am first in line for them if they ever get here and I live long enough. Considering where the country is heading [Clintonia again] I don`t see any hope there! I saw the writing on the wall when the little minis first appeared on the market several years ago and bugged the **** out of sever distributors until I finally got some. I was recently offered as much for ONE action as I paid for THREE!. So now I laugh at the detractors of the C Dalys! I sense a bit of jealosy somewhere! Although not the best thing on the shelf? At least they are there! I just put together another [can`t keep them] 25 Souper on a nice Rem 700 LH. Cost? Rifle was cheap at about 375.00. Shilen Match barrel? Another 200.00- Stock? Brown Pounder at another 200.00 so now I am 800 in the project and haven`t fired up the lathe! Trueing the Rem action, a M-16 extractor, Fluting the bolt, barrel and other accurizing about two days work. This will be a spendy project when done. Nothing is cheap anymore but sometimes it pays to recognize a deal when you see it and DIVE! I feel we`ll never see the likes of the C Daly actions available again unless someone out bids Remington. Just my worthless .02!

Aloha, Mark

When fear of death is no longer a concern----the rules of war change.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 08:56
thanks for the input, what kinda accuracy are you getting out of 'em?
Teach the children quietly, for someday sons and daughters will rise up and fight while we stood still

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2007 at 23:43

here's the action and barrel just waiting on kingpin to summon them forth to become a rifle!

Teach the children quietly, for someday sons and daughters will rise up and fight while we stood still
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2007 at 06:36
 The Reminton 798 is the C.Daly Mauser one size action for .308 and 30-06 size casings, the 799 is the small action .223,.222's and so on. No more actions or barreled actions (Thank You Remingassh*&^%),no more leftys. And they jacked the price up. 798's $469 to $649.95 depending on caliber,$469.95 for the mini's and thats wholesale. Gee just because it says Remy on it,what a joke.

Edited by Tikkabuck
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2007 at 10:50

Tikka;

Do you wonder why I don't have much to do with Remmie anymore?

900F

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2007 at 11:17
   Nope, I reckon if your like me the old ones have a place here but no new ones.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 05:14

action and barrel are on their way to become a rifle!

heads up kingpin

Edited by crazy2medic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 12:15
kingpin is about finished with the rifle, and I just got the stock from Richards friday! argh they screwed up and put a rosewood cap on it! probably end up taking a band saw to it and cutting that part off! but sanding has commenced, guess I'm in phase three of this project!
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 12:27

Crazy;

Now, you know we gonna need to see pictures in the future, don't cha?  Don't cha!? 

900F

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 05:09
okay rosewood cap has grown on me! guess I'll leave it, currently opening the barrel channel and trying to get it where I can pillar bed it! kingpin did a great job on the finish, just put a timney trigger on it, this is heck of a project and tough for somebody that really lacks alot of patience!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 23:45
finished the barrel channel and pillor bedded it last nite, next to finish the exterior sanding 400 grit and some fine steel wool, then a oil finish and mount the scope, soooo close and yet soooo far away!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2007 at 11:20

mini mauser action" border="0" />

custom 204" My custom .204, thanks kingpin for your help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic