The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SouthPaws > The Left-Handed Sportsman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

My boaring story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NH_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My boaring story
    Posted: 05 November 2006 at 16:19
Well, I went hunting in a game preserve this weekend (25,000 acres). We stayed Friday and Saturday night. Got a little hunting in on Friday, but didn't see anything except tracks. Saturday, I got up at O dark:30, and saw fresh tracks, but it turned out to be a fairly unproductive day. On Sunday however, I got up at about 7:30, and did a little thinking. I knew where the boar like to feed, and I came to the realization that all the tracks were heading uphill, so I decided, why not go high? The section I was hunting had a mountain (yes, 2235 feet is considered a mountain in New Hampshire), and the camp was at the bottom of said mountain. I hiked up to almost the top, and then hit some reaaaally thick stuff. When I say thick stuff I mean maybe 4-5 feet of visibility standing up, so I got down on my hands and knees and crawled through trying to find an open space. After doing this for 20 minutes, I finally found an opening where I could stand up. The area had opened up into what seemed like hog heaven. Very wet ground, with some open pools of water, lots of mud, and lots of Hemlock. Blown down trees everywhere. I climbed up onto a little knoll that was about 12 feet above the ground, climbed up on top, and heard hogs scatter everywhere. There must have been about 10 of the little bastages bedded down in that stuff. I waited there for a few minutes to let everything settle down, and then climbed onto another knoll to the NW of the one I was on. With how thick the trees were, though they were only about 6' high, I climbed up on top of a blown down Maple that was about 8" wide, and 3-4' off the ground and looked around. I saw some nice little openings where I could sneak a shot into. Then came the waiting. I stood there for a good 20 minutes before I heard movement. The first time I heard it, the animal was only about 30 yards away. I found a little hole in the trees where I thought the piggy would come through, and it did. Only problem was, it moved through so fast I didn't have a shot. I waited a good 10 more minutes before I heard more movement. There were about 5 of them in the area of about 40x30 yards, with me on 1 end. It sounded like they were converging on a rather large clearing, about 12-15 feet in diameter. I turned myself, which was quite a task on that maple, and got a steady stance. I could hear a boar getting closer and closer to the clearing. Finally, the piggy came out, I brought up my gun, and decided I didn't want this pig to go anywhere. I put the crosshair just behind the eye, and fired. This was only at about 20-25 feet. Talk about bang flop. That pig went down hard, and was just twitching. Pigs scattered all through the area, though I couldn't see them. The pig I shot looked huge through my scope. I got up to her and saw that she was actually pretty tiny, only going about 65 lbs on the hoof.

To get her to a place where I could actually drag her, I had to pick her up and throw her over about 20 fallen over trees. Eventually I got out of the thick stuff and got into fairly open hardwoods, Cut a whole in 1 hind leg, put my drag rope through, tied the other end around my waist, and started heading down hill. 1 mile and 1 hour later, I finally reached the bottom. No one else had seen anything, but I had lucked out. I gutted the piggy, and left it off at the butcher's. There really wasn't all that much meat on the thing. Maybe get a roast or 2 and the rest will be sausage. I would estimate it's age at right about 1 year old. Very young piggy.

Rifle deer opens this Wednesday, so hopefully I can get a nice doe or some such to fortify the freezer.

For those of you who are wondering, I shot it with a Ruger m77mk2LR in .30-06. She was loaded up with Winchester Super X 150 grain Silvertips. Bullet destroyed the skull of that pig. Now, for those of you wondering why I did a headshot, well, my father shot a boar a few years ago, and it didn't go down. It decided to rush him and nailed him right in the leg. Also, the trees were so thick that if he had gone far, there was a very good chance I would have never found him.
Leverguns make me smile
Proud Left Handed Shooter
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 01:41

NH;

I've been back east & have seen the kind of  stuff you're talking about hunting in.  It's a big reason why carbines, lever actions, and pistols have always been popular choices for that kind of woods hunting.

Congratulations on your successful pig hunt!  l agree, head shoot it & you don't have to worry about finding something in that mess.  Or, as in your dad's case, something finding you.  Sounds like that drag out was about all the fun you could stand to have though.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 02:45

Sounds like a great hunt and you told it well.  Those feral hogs are lots of fun.  Personally I like the meat.  I usually get a the hams smoked.  And the rest sausage.

Seems to me you have had mixed feelings about that '06?????  They really are capable of doing it all.  You might someday, figure that it is all the gun a man needs.

Congratulations sounds like you really "hunted" the pig.  Good luck this week on deer NH.

BEAR

NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NH_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 05:47
'Tis true that the .30-06 can do everything, but it is just so boring! I am just getting to the point where I can start playing with other calibers and rifles. The lefty Ruger is still my go-to gun, and will remain in that position until something proves itself better. I think it is pretty cool that I shot a piggy 362 days after I shot my buck last year (1 year anniversary this Wednesday).

I think I earned that pig with the hell I had to go through to get to her! Talk about nerve wracking when you can hear the things with the tusks walking through the bushes 10 feet away from you, and yet you can't see them.

On another note, my blackhawk is going off to Ruger soon to get them to fix the chamber throats (measured every one, size varies from .430 to .445), and once that is fixed that will probably end up being my primary piggie gun.
Leverguns make me smile
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 02:53

I've used 41 and 44 mags on pigs but my favorite presently is the 375 win; I've got a Marlin lever gun and a T/C contender pistol in the 375 win...awesome performance on boar.  And as you foound they are tough animals to kill (and to hunt).

BEAR

NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NH_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2006 at 09:42
Now that I really understand where to look for piggies, the next time I hunt in that game preserve I should be able to get another one, since the meat I will be getting out of this one won't last very long.
Leverguns make me smile
OK hunter View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2007 at 13:46

Here's a photo of a pig I shot in Florida last December.  It was about 9 yards from me and I absolutely wanted piggie to go down right then.  It weighed around 275lbs. or so.

Okay, my photo is too big to upload.  Does anyone have a good idea how to make this work?

Nevermind.  I decided to read the window and saw that max photo size is 250kb.  So, here's the link to my photo on yahoo.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/sighunter

Edited by OK hunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic