The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Big Game Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Game Tips
    Posted: 29 October 2005 at 01:33
Tracking a faint blood trail - Get down on all fours and look UNDER leaves, logs, etc.  When a critter is running, the blood will fall laterally, thereby hitting stuff out of the line of vertical sight.

Edited by Muleskinner
Mule
Jon_E View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 05:29
Carry a spray bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in you pack... spray and the blood will foam up
Jon
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 16:25
Keep some god damned hard candy in yer poket so you don't get a dry throat and start coughin' at the wrong time.  Hoarhound fer me.
Mule
mtmiller View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 15:21
Go where most won't.
Havre, MT
Bushie-Bob View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushie-Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 21:42
Blood sign is not always on the ground.  Sometimes it is smeared on the grass and brush the animal has pushed past.
Bushie-Bob View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushie-Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2006 at 12:28
Here is a good example of blood sign.  This is from a full grown bull buffalo that was well hit in the vitals with a .375H&H.  He took off at a gallop through the fringing bush of a dried up swamp.

The ground was hard as concrete and covered in short dead grass and leaves.  There was a vast amount of buffalo tracks preserved in the dry mud and lots of recent scuffed hoof prints as well.  The area is home to a huge herd of buffalo.

Visibility in the bush was about twenty yards.  A well hit buff can cover up to a mile or more, although most times you find them within 50 to 100 yards.

I took the lead armed with a double rifle, solids in both barrells, and my hunting buddy helped me track the path of bull.  Buff have really thick hide that often prevents much blood escaping.  If they are running along you can just get the occassional squirt as the hole in the hide moves over the wound.

We were relying on finding specks of blood like in the photo.  As it turned out we walked past the bull initially and followed the growing blood trail, as he slowed right down, back to the carcass.

He was dead from an upper heart shot with a 300 grain Barnes TSX but had still travelled about 100 yards.  Made it a bit of a chore getting the meat out too.

BB

Goose Hunter Jr View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Hunter Jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2006 at 00:14
Patience!
splinterhands View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splinterhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2007 at 01:33

On a faint blood trail, always mark at least the three previous blood drops with orange tape.  Then you can cast ahead without worrying about losing what sign you have found.  Don't give up.  

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 15:35

Brushy,

Was that bottom land or a waller?

Mule
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 10:20
One ol' apache trick I learnt from a navajo livin' on the arapahoe reservation is to carry a fillet knife whist elk huntin'.  Now the long, skinny knife ain't to make fillets, it's to loosen up the rectum so's it can be tied off an' yanked out with the guts.
Mule
sst_us View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sst_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2007 at 16:50
Hunt where the deer are! It may sound stupid simple, but it's everything.  Nothing can replace good old fashioned preseason scouting.  Locate an active trail between bedding and feeding plots, find a good place to sit or erect a stand that overlooks that trail, clear shooting lanes well in advance of hunting season, and find more than one good way to get to your stand, depending on the wind.  Once you're set up, sit there during the off season as you would during deer season.  If you don't see deer or recent evidence of deer, find another spot and do the same thing.

Edited by sst_us
Regards,
Sam Taylor
Life Member-NRA
Life Member-NAHC

SST's Rifle room
http://angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom
gary murray View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 07:33

Never give up on a spot. Some people will hunt an area once and then give up on it because they didn't see anything. You need to keep hunting the area time and time again because the deer are there even if you see only does and where there are does there will be bucks. The only time i give up on an area is when too many hunters start to show up on a regular basis.

Gary

If you can sue McDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?
Penticton, B.C. Canada
bcboy View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2008 at 19:05

Originally posted by Muleskinner Muleskinner wrote:

One ol' apache trick I learnt from a navajo livin' on the arapahoe reservation is to carry a fillet knife whist elk huntin'.  Now the long, skinny knife ain't to make fillets, it's to loosen up the rectum so's it can be tied off an' yanked out with the guts.

I used to carry a butt hole knife myself. It was given to me by some cranky old texan. It worked plus it was good for gettin the last of the mayo. from the bottom of the jar.

open sights, open minds
gary murray View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 19:42

I see HunterSpec has butt remover on the market.

Gary

If you can sue McDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?
Penticton, B.C. Canada
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2008 at 07:01

I always carry a couple of gallons water, to each gallon, I add one cup salt and one cup vinegar.  The salt helps to keep from freezing as fast ( if it's real cold, I throw them in an extra ice chest) and the vinegar really cuts the blood.

As soon as I get deer back to truck, I rinse it out real good, then let it drain out.  I try to skin all my game within hour or two of killing it.  I trim as much bloodshot off as possible.  Then I wipe off all hair and blood with vinegar water, let air dry few minutes and then hang in good deer bag.   I like either light cotton canvas or a cotton bed sheet sewn into a bag.

Even if it is below freezing never hang game in sun, it will get strong flavor.  I also try to keep it out of strong wind, it will dry out overnight in a strong wind. One deer sized piece of jerky

After it ages, I bone it out ( I never leave any bone in, it gets strong and takes up too much room) then I cut off all of the dark rind and trim it up.  This is where I have a different method, instead of steaking at this time, I break it down into prime cuts (top round, bottom round, chuck, loin, ect) and freeze them whole in packages of one or two meals.  After I take them out of freezer, I'll do final trimming and steak them.  

I do this for three reasons.  Number one, after you cut up twenty or so deer a year, you save time by doing this.  Number two, less freezer burn, less surface area exposed, by not steaking them.  Number three, I freeze all my trim and grind and make sausage in Jan or Feb.

I know this is only one method of taking care of game and about half the people I know leave the hide on to age.  Funny thing is when they try my deer they wonder why it doesn't taste like "DEER".

RC

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2008 at 16:22
Robert, I do my deer almost exactly like you do yours. Started about 10 years ago after we spent the previous year miserably trying to skin frozen deer in below zero weather. Now they are hung and skinned within an hour of harvest. Best venison you could ever eat. RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Peterbh View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 17:37
Live in the middle of a deer Wintering area like me.
sgraves155 View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgraves155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 13:58
Tramp thru some horse or cow dung before/while going to your stand.  That'll overpower the human scent on the soles of your boots.
Steve
2point View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2008 at 15:42
carry some plastic leaf bags and masking tape rolled up in your pack for instant waders in a pinch. 2point
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 11:15

when dragging a deer out by the legs, the hair can seem slippery and cause you to lose your grip more often than you care to have happen. we came across a good remedy for this during this season, and once we tried it, we had one of those slap-your-forehead-well, duh! moments!

take the same black electrician's tape that you probably used to strap the tag onto the antlers or back leg, and make a few wraps around the front legs. the grip is dramatically improved and you won't be dropping it every few yards, stopping to switch hands because your dragging hand is cramping up etc. even if you don't use tape for your tagging, it doesn't hurt to ahve a roll of this stuff in your pocket ~ many uses!

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic